150 Baht now for a big Chang

sanemax

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Well that's true but many like to go out and meet new 'friends'. I do both  ????

My experience is more then half the people here take issue with another starting and conversation.

Normal questions like where you from? or how long have you been here? Among others get them on the defensive.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Cant beat Windsor suites bangkok in sukhumvit, they charged 240 baht for a small Heineken no matter it was roomservice or poolbar. 

I never buy beer or wine at 7/11 when stay at hotel, this time infact I have to admit I did. 

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is more then half the people here take issue with another starting and conversation.

Normal questions like where you from? or how long have you been here? Among others get them on the defensive.  

I was thinking of another type of "friend" ????????

On 6/14/2019 at 8:03 AM, Percy P said:

The price was 100B for three when it first came out, not 150B. That was Tesco price,

Yes, I remember that in the days when it was anywhere between 6-8% depending on the batch. Nowadays it's all harmonised swill at around 5%. Yuk!

On 6/14/2019 at 9:11 AM, spidermike007 said:

Went to a bar last night in Hua Hin, and a small Leo was priced at 150 baht. A friend of mine paid a bar fine of 1000 baht in Bangkok recently, at a normal bar. And some say inflation is not rampant here? 

That's roughly four GBP for a crap bottle of local dishwater. Leo was alright up until couple years ago. Don't mind paying for a dark Beer Lao or more again for a Belgian beer, but that sort of price for sub-par local tat is insane.

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, I remember that in the days when it was anywhere between 6-8% depending on the batch. Nowadays it's all harmonised swill at around 5%. Yuk!

That's roughly four GBP for a crap bottle of local dishwater. Leo was alright up until couple years ago. Don't mind paying for a dark Beer Lao or more again for a Belgian beer, but that sort of price for sub-par local tat is insane.

The entire beer industry in Thailand is rigged. The senators are all on board. The ASEAN provision that was signed back in 2012 that allowed for the importation of all alcoholic products from all ASEAN nation was signed by Thailand, then property ignored, once the big beer monsters started paying off the politicians here. 

Thailand probably has some of the lowest quality beer in the world, for the money. I would choose beer Lao anytime, over Thai beer. In Laos, a liter of Beer Laos draft, at a bar is barely 50 baht. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The entire beer industry in Thailand is rigged. The senators are all on board. The ASEAN provision that was signed back in 2012 that allowed for the importation of all alcoholic products from all ASEAN nation was signed by Thailand, then property ignored, once the big beer monsters started paying off the politicians here. 

Thailand probably has some of the lowest quality beer in the world, for the money. I would choose beer Lao anytime, over Thai beer. In Laos, a liter of Beer Laos draft, at a bar is barely 50 baht. 

Now the 24 bottle case of Lao dark at Makro has went to 1.608 Baht

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Even worse than United states? You know the simularity of american beer and a canoe is? F close to water! 

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Adding to the injustice, Thai people have discovered craft beer, and many have learned how to brew it.  They want to set up commercial breweries (I want them to do so also) but Thai laws make it impossible to start small and grow large. 

Thailand; land of "Take care of the rich, screw the rest".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Even worse than United states? You know the simularity of american beer and a canoe is? F close to water! 

Check out the craft beer selections in the US.  Only people who don't care about beer drink the major brand "US beer" (most of the big brands are owned by companies based outside the US).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

When was the last time you were in the US? There are now tens of thousands of micro breweries that are producing world class, award winning beer. You might be thinking of the old days, of Schlitz, Miller, Coors, Budweiser, and that other garbage. Those days are long gone, and have been replaced by an astonishing array of amazing, hand crafted, small production, unpasteurized, delicious beer. Very few are exported, as the local demand is so high, and the production is so low. Some of the lowest quality craft beers in the US, are far, far better than Leo, Singha, the local version of Heineken, or the insipid Tiger.

There are some things in life that people simply have to experience first hand. Riding a roller coaster. Catching a wild brook trout. Running a mile for time. Dating someone out of your league…this is what life is all about. If you’re a baseball fan, you have to see a game at Wrigley Field. If you eat food, you have to try the spicy fried chicken at Gus’s Fried Chicken in Memphis. You just have to. You haven’t lived until you’ve experienced that chicken. 

Likewise, if you’re a beer drinker, there are certain beers you have to drink. At least once. We’ve thought long and hard about what those quintessential beers are—the ones that everyone should try—and we’ve come up with a hearty list of 100 that define the American craft beer scene. Some of these beers would be considered the best beers in the country, if not the world. Others can hold their own, but earned a spot on this list because of the role they played in the craft beer movement. Is this a definitive list of beers everyone should try? Dear Lord, no. If you truly love beer, you should try them all. Even the bad ones. At least once. But this list will get you started. 

Here’s the first round from the master list—we’ll be counting down all week. We hope you’re thirsty.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2014/05/100-craft-beers-you-have-to-drink.html?a=1

dark horse plead.jpg

KBS-Label1.jpg

victory-prima_pils2.jpg

HEADY-TOPPER-FINAL-2.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Adding to the injustice, Thai people have discovered craft beer, and many have learned how to brew it.  They want to set up commercial breweries (I want them to do so also) but Thai laws make it impossible to start small and grow large. 

Thailand; land of "Take care of the rich, screw the rest".

Very true. The obstacles to set up a micro brewery in Thailand are indeed very difficult. Just another case of the government denying the people a higher quality of life, and a choice, based entirely on money and power. Of all the administrations in the past few decades, this army govt. is the worst, when it comes to the choice of money over the people. 

• Like 1

I can remember back in the day in Chiang Mai when you could get 4 large Chang's for 100 baht. Never liked the stuff so I used to drink "Super" Leo (with the green label) for the same price. Stronger and cheaper than the regular Leo - Anyone remember that?

Currently in Yangon - Beer is cheaper and a lot more drinkable that the <deleted> they make in Thailand????

14 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Currently in Yangon - Beer is cheaper and a lot more drinkable that the <deleted> they make in Thailand????

Super duper.

So, you are in a 3rd world country buying cheap beer.

What else is new (Cambodia 50 cents)

I would rather be in Thailand thanks.

• Haha 1

@heybruce @spidermike007

Im sure there is good micro brewries now, but as you mentioned, I havent been back to the states since 95. Used to spend my winters there skydiving in small towns in Florida, and we only drinked bad imported beer, such as Carlsberg, Heineken, Fosters, Coronna, and some few german beers as well. Compare to American beer, very expensive. 

However I went to a bar in Minneapolis where they had a huge sortiment of beer from all over world, that was a great surprise back in 1986. Great place. 

I do not drink alot of beer, but when I do, I drink Lao, Heineken, and Tiger when in Thailand. 

But in Chumpon we found a great small livebar restaurant, with good beer. 

Great place. 

6C77927B-A964-4477-BC54-856BEFB3AE28.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tagged said:

@heybruce @spidermike007

Im sure there is good micro brewries now, but as you mentioned, I havent been back to the states since 95. Used to spend my winters there skydiving in small towns in Florida, and we only drinked bad imported beer, such as Carlsberg, Heineken, Fosters, Coronna, and some few german beers as well. Compare to American beer, very expensive. 

However I went to a bar in Minneapolis where they had a huge sortiment of beer from all over world, that was a great surprise back in 1986. Great place. 

I do not drink alot of beer, but when I do, I drink Lao, Heineken, and Tiger when in Thailand. 

Great place. 

6C77927B-A964-4477-BC54-856BEFB3AE28.jpeg

I'm not a fan of Hoegaarden, but many Thai women love it.  Buying a round is a good way to make friends and impress pretty ladies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I'm not a fan of Hoegaarden, but many Thai women love it.  Buying a round is a good way to make friends and impress pretty ladies.

So you say we have good contact with our feminin sides, since we liked Hoegarden?

It was perfect to the food, and tasted ver well after a long ride on the bikes ????

Beer and food taste better doing something you like. 

20FF4B07-0442-463E-802F-08B2ACD02592.jpeg

2A490892-93DA-48F6-9806-94E299AB6049.jpeg

8D62114E-E409-4F87-BC06-1298D10FED33.jpeg

DA9F9F49-073B-4BB9-9356-FC732515F7C8.jpeg

• Like 1

[mention=27091]heybruce[/mention] [mention=76169]spidermike007[/mention]

Great place. 
6C77927B-A964-4477-BC54-856BEFB3AE28.thumb.jpeg.443d9950569a3d71f6651906914784fc.jpeg

I really miss Carlsberg to be honest !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

long ride on the bikes 

Word police: You cannot "ride" a motor driven vehicle, you must drive it. 

Thought you were on a bicycle trek until saw the posted photos.

Beer and food very appreciated when you pedal for 40 km or so. 

Did you know that riding a bicycle can improve your sex life and decrease your cancer risk - 55

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Word police: You cannot "ride" a motor driven vehicle, you must drive it. 

Thought you were on a bicycle trek until saw the posted photos.

Beer and food very appreciated when you pedal for 40 km or so. 

Did you know that riding a bicycle can improve your sex life and decrease your cancer risk - 55

I heard bicycle kill your bloodflow to your penis, and make you impotent! I work out innthe gym,and that is proven for better sex life than any other activity. So bicycle riding and beer gived you triple

chance in less testosteoron, since cardio training for men above 50, is likely to also do no good for your T 

Good luck

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I heard bicycle kill your bloodflow to your penis, and make you impotent! I work out innthe gym,and that is proven for better sex life than any other activity. So bicycle riding and beer gived you triple

chance in less testosteoron, since cardio training for men above 50, is likely to also do no good for your T 

Good luck

You are actually correct.

Bike riding can create several problems including enlarged Prostate, Prostatitis and sexual dysfunction.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, KC 71 said:

I get fed up with people saying ‘ i dont drink at home’ ( uk especially!)
Muppets, its the best place to be,in your home all comforts on hand,tv music etc emoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So everyone different to you is a muppet? Fair enough.

I only very rarely drink at home, I like going to pubs and bars three or four nights a week. In the house I would rather have a cup of tea, plus I think I drink enough when I'm out and try not to add to it.

Each to their own, I do not sneer at people who do things differently or drink more or less than I do.

Haha, I went into an unnamed club not so long ago in the United States. Got a drink, gave the guy a 20, two dollars came back (I had no idea). Tipped him two bucks, which actually seems quite low by tipping norms and standards, haha. 

Yep, $20 bucks and a poor, less than %15 tip to buy a drink at a club in a big city these days.

So... please stop complaining about 150 baht. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, meand said:

Haha, I went into an unnamed club not so long ago in the United States. Got a drink, gave the guy a 20, two dollars came back (I had no idea). Tipped him two bucks, which actually seems quite low by tipping norms and standards, haha. 

Yep, $20 bucks and a poor, less than %15 tip to buy a drink at a club in a big city these days.

No comment...

21 hours ago, meand said:

You are right.

In Vegas 30 to 50 bucks in the clubs.

Salary in Vegas is $8.25 per hour for many. 

Those Changs he is talking about are large, worth maybe two beers? So about 75 baht for a single beer, maybe the math is a little off. The place is a business you know, they can't charge what a 7-11 charges.

I honestly do not get this, first it is a weak complaint. Second, man up and drink at home, in the parking lot, across the street at 7-11, and head back in. In most places across the earth you do not have that option. So u should be happy about the options to curtail alcohol costs in Thailand. 

Edited by meand