All Phuket tsunami warning towers still working – Phuket DDPM

webfact

All Phuket tsunami warning towers still working – Phuket DDPM

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_2731-1.jpg

In the wake of the Palu tsunami in Sulawesi, many Phuketians have asked us to check if the island’s tsunami warning system is working.

Good news. All 19 of Phuket’s tsunami warning towers are fully operational. Only a few of them had minor problems with their audio alarm, according to the Phuket DDPM Chief.

Another Indonesian earthquake, this time a shallow 7.5 magnitude quake, caused a 2-3 metre high tsunami that Palu in the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/all-phuket-tsunami-warning-towers-still-working-phuket-ddpm

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger Full story:

This of course could be a giant porkie…………...I remember that a survey a few years back found that the batteries that operate in the buoys' systems were dead and although money had been donated to replace them, it went "missing" (no, surely not!!).

Then a few years later the cable that connected?? the sirens was stolen, so they were unworkable.

Well TIT, as the saying goes.

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

This of course could be a giant porkie…………...I remember that a survey a few years back found that the batteries that operate in the buoys' systems were dead and although money had been donated to replace them, it went "missing" (no, surely not!!).

Then a few years later the cable that connected?? the sirens was stolen, so they were unworkable.

Well TIT, as the saying goes.

Yup, those of us who live by the beach and can see daily the condition of equipment and haven't heard a test for years know the smart betting money is on they don't work. 

Never heard them being tested, in fact, if my memory serves me well, a few years ago they had failed, and a "technician" from Bangkok had to come and fix them.. this guy is full of crap. And when was the last time the tsunami warning buoys were tested, or actually reported back to base. 

Archived