Is my U.K driving licence ok until i apply for a Thai one???

jimmjam

Hello All!

Just a quick check I was recently stopped by police on my motor bike, first time ever. He asked for my licence which is a u.k one, I showed him he looked and just said "U.K" "U.K" to which I replied "yes", then sent me on my way. I know I need to get a Thai driving licence eventually, but im planning on driving from isaan to Bangkok in a Car. Will I encounter a lot of problems, fines …… etc..

thanks for the info in advance

3 minutes ago, DGS1244 said:

90 Day Max then the UK can demand your licence back. They sussed I was in Thailand and cancelled my UK licence, but can apply for new one when and if I return.

Out of interest, are you able to say how DVLA sussed you out?

Asking for a friend...........

3 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Out of interest, are you able to say how DVLA sussed you out?

Asking for a friend...........

Happened when I renewed my Passport via British Embassy in Bangkok, didn't help that originally I was here on work permit.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ulic said:

A UK license is only valid for 90 days at a lime but if you do 90-day border runs (tourist visa) or any other reason it resets because you leave and re-enter.

An overseas licence (from most of the developed world) is OK whilst you are a genuine TOURIST, but once you take up non-tourist residence in a country you have to obtain a local licence, and that's not just for Thailand. The RTP are unaware of that and continue to do two things:

+ accept residents producing an IDP, when they should have a Thai licence

+ require the production of an IDP by tourists when its not required

• Like 2

This is my only experience. I was stopped in a check-point near Chiang Rai and was asked to show my driving licence which, at that time was a UK one. The Thai Officer spoke and read English and said my licence was not a UK INTERNATIONAL one. I was fined 1,000 baht on the spot and got a receipt. Within a few days I got a Thai Driving Licence in Chiang Mai courtesy of help from the British Consulate after complaining to them (but not these days I might add).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

This is my only experience. I was stopped in a check-point near Chiang Rai and was asked to show my driving licence which, at that time was a UK one. The Thai Officer spoke and read English and said my licence was not a UK INTERNATIONAL one. I was fined 1,000 baht on the spot and got a receipt. Within a few days I got a Thai Driving Licence in Chiang Mai courtesy of help from the British Consulate after complaining to them (but not these days I might add).

Like I said, they don't know the law. However, if you were able to get a Thai licence that indicates you were resident and not a tourist, so should have got a Thai licence..

21 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

90 Day Max then the UK can demand your licence back. They sussed I was in Thailand and cancelled my UK licence, but can apply for new one when and if I return.

I think it’s actually 6 months and it may have been because you’re not on uk electoral role rather than passport renewal. That’s the go to check of most agencies.I renewed mine ok despite earlier renewal of passport here,but I do have an uk address (with Cooperation of my tenants ) and on electoral role . My wife just renewed her uk passport while we were in uk last month and because she’s on electoral role (which the application form mentioned) it went through. The tax authorities know I’m in Thailand 

16 hours ago, oporhatch said:

Just reading this topic. 

I have a Year IDP issued in the UK  -  which I was hoping to cover me from July 2018 until April 2019  -   is this not the case.

I am currently on a year retirement visa

regards 

Legally that is not the case, as you are no longer a tourist you are required to obtain a Thai DL. However, from experience, the numb nuts in the RTP will happily accept your IDP, seemingly not knowing any better. The IDP is a nonsense, after all it doesn't even have a Thai translation!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 4:18 PM, Belzybob said:

An overseas licence (from most of the developed world) is OK whilst you are a genuine TOURIST, but once you take up non-tourist residence in a country you have to obtain a local licence, and that's not just for Thailand. The RTP are unaware of that and continue to do two things:

+ accept residents producing an IDP, when they should have a Thai licence

+ require the production of an IDP by tourists when its not required

Yes, finally in one of these threads a to the point and accurate post.

13 hours ago, oporhatch said:

Thanks for that my next question is does anybody have a good internet link about how I can get a Thai licence.

What is required and is it much aggro

regards 

Local requirements may vary.

In general required: medical certificate, certificate of residence or workpermit or yellow housebook, passport, and some copies of relevant pages in passport. Go to local DLT, check requirements, after that do eye sight test etc., do theory test and practical application.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 11:26 AM, nchuckle said:

I think it’s actually 6 months and it may have been because you’re not on uk electoral role rather than passport renewal. That’s the go to check of most agencies.I renewed mine ok despite earlier renewal of passport here,but I do have an uk address (with Cooperation of my tenants ) and on electoral role . My wife just renewed her uk passport while we were in uk last month and because she’s on electoral role (which the application form mentioned) it went through. The tax authorities know I’m in Thailand 

I left the UK in 2004 and renewed my UK license using the Gov. Gateway, no problems whatsoever and the license was sent to my sisters house - I wasn't on the electoral roll. This year I returned to the UK, bought a flat, registered for Council Tax and got myself on the electoral roll, DVLC accepted my change of address without a problem. After all that I put a tenant into the flat and came back home to resume life as per normal!

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Local requirements may vary.

In general required: medical certificate, certificate of residence or workpermit or yellow housebook, passport, and some copies of relevant pages in passport. Go to local DLT, check requirements, after that do eye sight test etc., do theory test and practical application.

As you say requirements vary but usually if you are presenting a home license it is as above, without the theory and driving test.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

As you say requirements vary but usually if you are presenting a home license it is as above, without the theory and driving test.

Another ridiculous situation that I have read about, is that you may have to undergo the theory and driving practical if you don't provide an IDP.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:26 AM, nchuckle said:

In the last year I have renewed both my Driving Licence (70 yrs old) and my Passport (in Rome). I am not on the electoral roll of the address I use. I have not had any notification that the D Licence is invalid.

• 3 weeks later...

On discussing this with a mate .....he is coming here for 120 days and hiring a rental car .....does anybody know or have any ideas as to whether this English or IDP  will cover him for driving through this period...the rental company would not care and the

insurance would be theirs also 

Any thoughts whether not having a thai drivers licence for over the 90 days will pose any risks for him   

11 hours ago, oporhatch said:

On discussing this with a mate .....he is coming here for 120 days and hiring a rental car .....does anybody know or have any ideas as to whether this English or IDP  will cover him for driving through this period...the rental company would not care and the

Any thoughts whether not having a thai drivers licence for over the 90 days will pose any risks for him   

How is he going to stay in the Kingdom on a valid visa for 120 days?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oporhatch said:

he is going to extended his 60 day visa for 30 days in bangkok and then do a border run for his next 30 days 

What do you think guys? Does this out/in border run reset the 90-days? He would be better staying out of the country for a day or 2.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:42 PM, AhFarangJa said:

A UK License on its own is not good enough, I believe it should be accompanied with an IDP... International Driving Permit. however, as Poorsucker says  you can only use them for 90 days at a time.

Technically not but you try telling that the average BiB on the beat.

Problems are most likemy to arise in the event of a crash or RTI........ then police and insurance are going to look in detail at your licence....bike or car....and then how long you've been in the country.

Thailand never ratified the 1968 road traffic agreement but "honors" the 1949 Geneva one.

This sums up the Thai authorities attitude to all things vehicular.......It leaves foreigners open to exploitation, corruption and price gouging.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

What do you think guys? Does this out/in border run reset the 90-days? He would be better staying out of the country for a day or 2. 

There is no 90 day limit to begin with, so no need to reset anything.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, oporhatch said:

If he has a valid UK license + IDP he can drive in Thailand with it as long as it's valid, so up to a year (if he doesn't have Thai citizenship or permanent residency)

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no 90 day limit to begin with, so no need to reset anything.

If he has a valid UK license + IDP he can drive in Thailand with it as long as it's valid, so up to a year (if he doesn't have Thai citizenship or permanent residency)

I think you are completely wrong.....can you show  us the source for those assertions?

• Like 2