Prayut’s move into social media seen as stunt to boost popularity

webfact

Prayut’s move into social media seen as stunt to boost popularity

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

f8f90b5dc0667d8f4017d50652e964bb.jpeg

The 13 Mu Pa footballers who |were rescued from a Chiang Rai cave in June present Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha with the Asia Game Changer Award yesterday.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday showed strong signs of transitioning towards post-election politics, citing the need to carry out national reform and strategy.

“No matter people’s reactions, it is my decision on whether or not I carry on in politics and how I do it,” General Prayut said after his

personal debut in the social media world on Monday, which many perceive as a revelation that he intends to retain power after election.

“[I have to consider] the reasons and how it is necessary for the country and for myself,” he told reporters yesterday. “But the most important thing is how to continue reform efforts and national strategy without getting criticised that I’m clinging to power. This is what I have to be careful about the most.”

ea001069b9cbb3907e58b6c0131fb7de.jpeg

The junta head also admitted that he was “trying to adapt to the changing situation”. Not only does he have to learn about the digitalised world where the use of social networks prevails, he said, but also how to tolerate comments.

Prayut is notorious for his temper and has several times appeared aggressive in the media. “Do I look [moody] today? I am nice and soft, right?” he said. “But bear with me. Sometimes, my work can be frustrating.”

The junta leader also seemed to have come to a quick understanding of the nature of the online world after having set up Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts and launching a website last week. Prayut said he can accept strong criticism, but asked that commentators remain polite.

While the most of the comments have been negative, Prayut said he will try to refrain from taking legal action against their authors.

‘Junta being unfair’

Apart from a conclusion that recent events prove Prayut intends to remain in politics, critics view his emergence on the Internet as a move to build popularity. That leads to criticism that the junta is being unfair as public comments by other politicians are restricted by the political ban.

49e57ab382f7d016536183bd0201ebd2.jpeg

Prayut argued that other parties also have social media accounts, and asked how he could possibly build his popularity with so many negative comments. While he was coy on his political future, the junta chief yesterday answered questions about how he would adapt, by saying that he would be more transparent and honest.

“My political intention centres around good governance. I cannot do this alone. If I can stay and if you all will join me, you have to follow me,” he said. “We cannot let the past repeat itself. Prime minister is such a powerful position. The fundamental thing is to do it for the people and to leave no one behind. We have to take care of both the majority and the minority.”

Prayut also posted his first photo to Instagram yesterday. It was a selfie of him and the 13 Mu Pa footballers who had been trapped in a northern cave a few months ago.

The rescued boys, along with the head of the rescue operation, former Chiang Rai governor Narongsak Osottanakorn, met with Prayut yesterday at Government House to present him with the Asia Game Changer Award. The award was given to the rescue operation, with the football team representing those involved in it at a ceremony in New York.

Prayut in recent months has met with several celebrities at Government House. In addition to yesterday’s time with the Mu Pa footballers, he met with girl-group pop stars BNK48, as well as lead actors and actresses from the “BuppeSanNivas” series that took Thailand by storm earlier this year.

The moves have been seen as a way to borrow the stars’ fame to boost his personal popularity as the election takes shape. It is currently scheduled to take place in February next year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30356571

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-17

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“We cannot let the past repeat itself.

Said by the most recent in a long line of military coup organisers who have repeated this act continuously for 80 years. He truly doesn't think about what he says does he?

The criticism he is about to get by joining social media will truly test that fragile ego that has been obvious for several years. But then again, he is not actually doing the typing and reading himself, its a paid employee, which defies the very object of being on Facebook. Its just an advert.

Will TRY to refrain from taking legal action?   

OMG. If he loses he probably will cut each and every head off of the negative posters. And how his big head thinks he is the good of the country is laughable. He is just a military old elitists in a bad sheep’s suit.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Will TRY to refrain from taking legal action?   

OMG. If he loses he probably will cut each and every head off of the negative posters. And how his big head thinks he is the good of the country is laughable. He is just a military old elitists in a bad sheep’s suit.

He has such self-control. Apart from when he wants to punch his critics in the face, of course.

The re-education camps attitude adjustment centres are the other option, if 'trying to refrain' fails.

"and asked how he could possibly build his popularity with so many negative comments" ... Dear Mr Prime Minister may I respectfully advise you that the "negative comments" are there for a reason. They are a statement from the people that you are illegally governing. Take them on board and learn. You may also want to consider these "negative comments" in the light of you potentially running in next years (possible) election because they indicate that, if you do, the the people will not vote for you. Do you get it now?

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

No doubt he's already sent friend requests to the Shins

Can't wait for the pictures of what he's eating

I suspect the new self proclaimed super lawyer and Big Laugh convinced him to go on social media. I will send him this, and hope hope many will do the same to boost his traffic:

annoying-post_279_zpsu1hjguyf.png

P.S. pictures with babies, cats and puppies are welcomed too.

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Said by the most recent in a long line of military coup organisers who have repeated this act continuously for 80 years. He truly doesn't think about what he says does he?

The criticism he is about to get by joining social media will truly test that fragile ego that has been obvious for several years. But then again, he is not actually doing the typing and reading himself, its a paid employee, which defies the very object of being on Facebook. Its just an advert.

I think "the past repeating itself" was a referent to the Thaksin clans grip over the country. Coups are ok, apparently.

I reckon any negative comments about the junta on social media will be met with a meeting for "attitude readjustment". 

This ol boys friends, Bob from Africa, oh and Idi, who is deceased,, Mr. Kadafy of Libya,

Mr. Binladin of Iraq, so many deceased friends. Oh well, let him try the  digital ploy,

I just hope the Thai population that vote are smart enough to see his ruse.

Geezer

On 10/16/2018 at 9:39 PM, webfact said:

In addition to yesterday’s time with the Mu Pa footballers, he met with girl-group pop stars BNK48,

Old geeza hanging with young boys & girls might lead some to begin to form the view that he's just a .. 

IMG_20181018_105622.jpg

My political intention centres around good governance. I cannot do this alone. If I can stay and if you all will join me, you have to follow me,”

Almost bordering on Messianic delusion that is ..

We cannot let the past repeat itself. Prime minister is such a powerful position.

The past being the other lot who  won election after election which is how democracy works isn't it .? But as it's not the brand of democracy espoused by the higher echelons we'll throw it away and keep trying 'till we get the right result ( hopefully ) .. This sosh' media thing is just a facade to gain some cred' in the run up to the big day ( whenever it arrives ) but has all the potential to be the biggest blow up in the face since Gunpowder plotter Catesby & gang decided to put the damp powder in front of the fire to dry .. 

9 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Almost bordering on Messianic delusion that is ..

The past being the other lot who  won election after election which is how democracy works isn't it .? But as it's not the brand of democracy espoused by the higher echelons we'll throw it away and keep trying 'till we get the right result ( hopefully ) .. This sosh' media thing is just a facade to gain some cred' in the run up to the big day ( whenever it arrives ) but has all the potential to be the biggest blow up in the face since Gunpowder plotter Catesby & gang decided to put the damp powder in front of the fire to dry .. 

Some of my thai friends will be protesting in Brussels tomorrow at his meeting with the EU. they will video it , should be interesting.

Archived