Tourists Face 10 Years P‌r‌‌is‌o‌‌‌n in Thailand After Va‌nd‌‌‌aliz‌‌i‌n‌g 800-Year-Old Wall

ASEAN NOW Content Team

A pair of British and Canadian tourists could be ‌j‌a‌‌i‌l‌e‌d for up to 10 years in Thailand after va‌n‌daliz‌in‌g an 800-year-old wall with spray-paint.

Lee Furlong and Brittney Schneider, both 23, were a‌rr‌est‌e‌d‌ at a hostel in Chiang Mai on Friday, Thai Rath News reported.

CCTV footage shows two of four people approaching and spray-painting the historic Tha Phae Gate about 4 a.m. on Thursday.

Furlong, who came from the U.K., wrote “Scouser,” referring to a person in his Liverpool hometown.

Schneider, who came from Canada, then came next with a letter “B,” her first initial, below “Scouser.”

Polic‌‌e, who found an empty spray can at the site, said that both showed signs of intoxication during the graffiti episode.

They had also “admitted to the crime,” an officer told Reuters.

On top of a 10-year p‌riso‌‌n term, the pair could be forced to pay one million baht ($30,670) in fines.

Full article

probably the tuk tuk driver was switched on enough? to coax their hotel name out of them... on the premise of offering a lift!

smart thinking!

You're not in liverpool anymore. Jeez, some guys just need to get it drummed into their heads. It's a bit like childhood diseases, you catch them for the first time when you're an adult they can be fatal. Most of us learn their are consequences to our actions, maybe at five or six, some wait till they're 23. Anyway, travel broadens the mind. I'm sure these two have had their minds broadened. 

Thoroughly embarassed that a fellow Canadian could be so <deleted>.stupid, disrespectful and entirely ignorant of the host country she's visiting. Obviously they weren't drunk enough because they planned and bought paint and then did the dirty deed. Hope they get the full 10 years! Bloody hell, damn idiots!

Archived