Thailand Tells Black People Don’t Come Here

webfact

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Racial profiling works to an extent...

geographical profiling has more historical evidence of where the trouble comes from !

Well everybody taking their pet theories for a walk on this thread. One thing that can be said is that certain countries citizens are issued limited time visas and some of them are seeking to illegally extend their stay not by going under the radar but by selling drugs on the streets. The police are getting a profile of the individuals they are picking up. And that profile is not random. One might separate that out from the surrounding political football.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, cooked said:

Racial profiling works

To a degree. But it makes more sense to profile based on country.

Black people with a swedish passport vs black people with a Nigerian passport...

When you see a black person selling drugs on the streets in Bangkok, u think they got a Nigerian or swedish passport?

White farang walking down Sukhumvit and is solicited to buy drugs by an African. 

I would say odds are that whatever these guys sell him will not be a contraband substance at all, probably something like glucose powder packaged to look like it.  Most white farang in that area are tourists here for a week or two, so for Superfly on the corner it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for who to avoid for a few days.

So yeah, the customer gets burned, but sugar is not illegal.  But if brought to the attention of the BiB they'll find an excuse to bring him in.

To be sure there is an actual drug trade in the area, and has been for a long time, is quite subtle in terms of visibility, and they don't need obvious foreigners to be dealers.  I could see some enterprising foreigners (e.g. Indians) trying to set up an alternate drug business, but they would have to hire other foreigners (e.g. Africans) as dealers, and the locals would rat them out or find other ways to get rid of them.

7 hours ago, MisterDM said:

I'm Black-American and I've been to the North, Northeast, South of Thailand and, I have been welcomed happily. So,.....There's that. The Northeast in particular has been VERY welcoming to me and, I appreciate their hospitality 

Your experience is exactly as it should be but try setting yourself up as a West African drug dealer or romance scammer, which is the demographic that is being targeted and, justifiably, you won't appreciate the hospitality!

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why would anyone be surprised that they are being unwelcome?

Oh, but they were welcomed, and they abused it. BKK streets filled with African Free Lancers. Soi 4-6 filled with drug dealers.  Thailand was a paradise for them. I guess showing $29,000 annual for retirement visa is ridiculous when all you have to do is obtain a ticket from Nigeria. Get real man, the government is cleaning up the country finally.  

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Blaming the victims of racism for their situation very popular in the first half of the C20. And seemingly some of the old sewage wanting to get an airing here as well.

Spilling vitriol does not make up for the fact that the question of motive was not answered and before you go too far you should know that my kids are all black.  So the racial apologist card doesn't work at this table.

Just now, gaviny said:

Putting a blanket over black people is unacceptable but those Nigerian scammers should be kept out just like those Sudanese kids in Melbourne, yet in Brisbane and Sydney the same people are law abiding .

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What you going to do about it

if you don’t like it go to a liberal country 

right is right 

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I can't vouch for accuracy (it was a long time ago), but I recall reading many years ago that China, in the 1400s, would not allow black men to enter their territory unless they were castrated and made into eunuchs first.

I recall seeing the futility of black people trying to hail a taxi in S Korea in 1990.

I recall chatting with Chinese people in Guandong in the late 90s who were emigrating to the US and they told me that their greatest fear was being killed by black people.

This is the Asian cultural legacy for black people.

Why would anyone be surprised that they are being unwelcome?

Interesting anecdotes. But the suspicions are probably aroused by the drug dealer, pimps and whores from Africa that frequent lower Suk together with their compatriots engaged on romance scams. Should have been cleared out long ago.

8 hours ago, MisterDM said:

I'm Black-American and I've been to the North, Northeast, South of Thailand and, I have been welcomed happily. So,.....There's that. The Northeast in particular has been VERY welcoming to me and, I appreciate their hospitality 

You're an american. Nice. Now where's your problem about the targeted african criminals?

Posts removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A friend of mine lives next door to one of these people. This one wants my older retired white friend and his wife out. He stole their motorcycle helmet, took the oil dipstick out of the engine and but screws in the front and rear tire. Plus cut them with a knife. This person says he will not stop until they move out. So here is one more they can come and get. 

6 minutes ago, Jingjock said:

They brought it on themselves, Africa is one of the worst nation by far for scamming people, I'm still getting at least 5 skype calls every night from this country.

Africa isn't a nation. It's a rather large continent with some quite diverse nations located on it.

Some African nations do seem to be basis for this type of activity. But the scammers operate all over too. Some UK based ones of African origin are active in the old romance/shipping charges scams. I passed details on to the appropriate UK police of one lot trying to scam my S-i-L.

The bad ones create the stereotypes unfortunately. But here, down lower Suk - well you don't have to look hard. Although to be fair, they've never hassled me and leave me alone!

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Disagree. Went to South Africa this year and the black African people were very polite, helpful and gracious. The black Africans on soi 13 and other area sois were the opposite. If the black Africans around soi 13 were tourists no one would have a problem with them but they were a gang and a problem to many people. 

Unlikely that any of the drug pushers in Soi 13 are black South Africans, more likely to be from West Africa, and most probably the bulk of them are from Nigeria.  The drug dealers and pushers in Johannesburg are largely not black South Africans either, but Nigerians, who have been allowed into South Africa en masse.

Each country has the right to go after and deport any person they deem to be causing distress or committing crime.  Anyone with an open eye can see that there are clearly many people of colour in and around Bangkok and further afield in Thailand, fitting just that description.

Nigerians have a globally disastrous reputation; I for one have had countless emails over the years asking for money etc etc, and yes - if one walks along Sukhumvit Road of an evening, one will be accosted by a dodgy African if one lingers outside a 7/11 long enough. 

There's also nothing wrong with a government issuing a strong warning as a deterrent to people planning to come here thinking that it's an easy place to set up shop and commit crime.

People of colour who don't commit crime, have nothing to fear. A person of colour who is here legally and has their passports in working order, similarly, have nothing to fear.

Sometimes "racial profiling" has its purpose. 

There's no smoke without fire - this is not an arbitrary racist dig because Thais may or may not "like" Africans - it's because certain Africans have been coming here continually from specific countries and committing crime.

Keep rounding them up and get them out, that's what I say!

I've lived here peacefully for 10 years without any trouble at all - partly because I don't hang around street corners plying illicit trade, or trying to set up dodgy websites and scam innocent people.

The End.

2 hours ago, NonthaburiBear said:

bad apple everywhere indeed, have good experience with black bloke when i got flat tires on my way going to Ayuthaya with my fan..a  african bloke  help me sort out the problem. However my last experience with black people doesnt add more good account

these people we're drunk..pee on the wash basin /bathroom sinks...it was Friday night at Khaosan Road

can you imagine how dreadful it was when there's people on the que want to take a pee???? and watch all these awful thing

And therein lies the problem.  We don't like the Chinese for the same reason, peeing and pooing in the street at times.  Yet they are not black.  It is more of a cultural issue than a colour issue, as posters here have alluded to.  People with black skin, or brown skin, yellow or white skin, are not disliked (hated) because of their colour.  It is the way they are interacting within a community which is the problem.  At the root of it all is the socio-economic background they come from; and this applies equally to whites as to anyone else.

Unfortunately, due to a greater percentage of black people being involved in drugs, pimping, theft etc etc, the stereotyping of them is inevitable. You cannot ignore the fact that the majority, who come to Thailand, are in fact involved in these sort of crimes. Therefore, in order to iradicate this, you would have to target all these people in order to clean it up.

we have a current increasing problem with crime in the UK which, if you look at statistics, is being carried out by black ethnic people. The UK refuses to acknowledge this publically for fear of being stamped as racist or racially stereotyping, but unfortunately, the statistics prove the point.

in UK more black people are currently killed by other black people and black people are statiscally more likely to be involved in crime.

1 minute ago, eeworldwide said:

Each country has the right to go after and deport any person they deem to be causing distress or committing crime. 

And you assume that anyone wanting to emigrate is in that category?

Anyone with an open eye can see that there are clearly many people of colour in and around Bangkok and further afield in Thailand, fitting just that description.

Seeing your spelling of "color", it's obvious that you're European. So what's the point? What "colour" is acceptable to you?

1 minute ago, eeworldwide said:

Nigerians have a globally disastrous reputation; I for one have had countless emails over the years asking for money etc etc, and yes - if one walks along Sukhumvit Road of an evening, one will be accosted by a dodgy African if one lingers outside a 7/11 long enough. 

There's also nothing wrong with a government issuing a strong warning as a deterrent to people planning to come here thinking that it's an easy place to set up shop and commit crime.

People of colour who don't commit crime, have nothing to fear. A person of colour who is here legally and has their passports in working order, similarly, have nothing to fear.

Sometimes "racial profiling" has its purpose. 

There's no smoke without fire - this is not an arbitrary racist dig because Thais may or may not "like" Africans - it's because certain Africans have been coming here continually from specific countries and committing crime.

Keep rounding them up and get them out, that's what I say!

I've lived here peacefully for 10 years without any trouble at all - partly because I don't hang around street corners plying illicit trade, or trying to set up dodgy websites and scam innocent people.

The End.

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

What more can we expect now that a blatant racist has been given the job of chief of immigration? We’re all the same people worldwide, never mind black or white or any other color in between, we’re all born the same way and die. There’s good and bad in every one of us no matter the color or where someone is from.

The funniest bit is that the new immigration boss is also dark skinned !

Reminds me a bit of some 3rd generation "dark skinned" immigrants who got their nationality in Europe. They turn out often to be amongst the worst racists amongst their own people...perhaps a way of showing they are integrated and not like the others,  which makes their egos falsely feel good.....

...and maybe that's what's going on now as most of the cops in Thailand are dark skinned and are trying to climb up the social ladder by discrimination people who have almost the same skin colour as them.

8 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I have worked with many black American teachers here, and they were completely welcome. 

There are good and bad in any type of people.... but in Thailand, with the ease of paying off police, I see a larger percentage of black people in vices than in legal jobs.. maybe it got to a level that even the ‘ normally easy going ‘ Thai police determined the black people a menace to society at large ? 

You see it all the time in silom they love hanging at starbucks and doing business 

With there bling and gold watches 

Hmmmmmmmm work permit I think not. 

I have never been harassed by them but it is so obvious what they do and why they are here. 

After the dark skinned people are  removed next will be Russians I'm sure 

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Searching for a suspect of a known crime based on the known race of the offender is not racial profiling.  Racial profiling is treating people with suspicion based on their race before the crime is known or the race of the offender is known or both.  If the suspect was male but of unknown race then it would not be obvious that they'd look for black males, would it?  No, and that is exactly what they are doing.

What they are doing is reaching for the low-hanging fruit, which would seem to be an efficient use of police resources, to me.  It is unfortunate, in a way, that it targets a particular skin pigmentation, but, nevertheless, it appears that black persons are disproportionately likely to be infringeing the law in one or another respect, and are "x-rayed" accordingly.  The PC brigade are naturally affronted by all of this, but the Thai authorities are allowed to act as they see fit, it is their sovereignty after all.

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Don;t think immigration are being racist, they seem equally determined to get rid of all low income white guys too !

Seems the Thai intention is

for short time tourists, spend your money here and then leave regardless your economic status. 

For long time tourists, you better have a substantial disposal income to stimulate Thai domestic economy if you still want be welcomed or else leave.... 

Archived