Elderly Man S‌t‌on‌e‌d to D‌e‌a‌th by Monkeys in India

ASEAN NOW Content Team

The family of an elderly man who was s‌to‌ned to d‌e‌a‌t‌h by a group of monkeys in India is battling with the po‌li‌ce‌ on who to blame for his d‌e‌a‌t‌h.

The vi‌c‌tim‌, identified as 72-year-old Dharampal Singh, was reportedly out collecting dry wood in Tikri village, Uttar Pradesh, India on Thursday, October 18, when the group of monkeys threw bricks they retrieved from a building nearby, according to Times of India.

His family later lodged a formal complaint and named the primates as the culprits. However, the authorities registered the case as an “accident.”

“Monkeys threw more than 20 bricks at Dharampal on Thursday. He was h‌i‌t on the head, chest, and legs. Thrown from quite a height, the bricks were enough to k‌i‌l‌l him,” said the victim’s brother, Krishnapal Singh.

“These rogue monkeys are the real culprits and must pay for it. We have given a written complaint against monkeys but p‌o‌l‌ic‌e don’t seem to be convinced enough to convert it into an FIR.”

First Information Response (FIR) is a written document that police recorded, which they would then use as a basis to initiate an investi‌ga‌ti‌on for that case, The Straits Times reported.

However, of‌fic‌ers from the Doghat p‌ol‌ic‌e station were not thrilled by the idea of registering monkeys for the case.

“How can we register the case against monkeys? This will make us a laughingstock. I don’t think it is a logical demand,” station officer, Chitwan Singh, said.

Full article

Many years ago I worked and travelled through southern Africa.  One time my gf and I decided to take a look at the Table Mountains in Capetown.  On our way up the lower slopes we decided to stop for a lunch we had packed for the trip.  No sooner had we stopped we were surrounded by baboons who before long were climbing all over our kombi pulling at the windscreen wipers and shaking the radio antenna etc.  Not knowing any better I jumped out and picked up a rock to scare them away.  A lesson quickly learned.....never throw rocks at baboons.  We had to high-tail it out of there quick time as every baboon around the place picked up a rock and hurled it back!

Archived