Almost refused entry

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Visa exempt = 10K individual; 20K family

Visa = 20K for individuals; 40K family.

I wonder if any law, ministerial regulation, police order or other rule or directive specifying these amounts was ever published in the Government Gazette.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

I wonder if any law, ministerial regulation, police order or other rule or directive specifying these amounts was ever published in the Government Gazette.

But those laws are just 'guidelines'...

Here, laws are enforced/made up at whim, depending on the race, attire and perceived wealth of the victim in front of the 'officer'.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, elviajero said:

I suggest you lose the condo contract. Tourists don't rent condos. 

Sure they do! In my condo I see some very short-term rentals being done to tourists staying for a week or so. Annoying to see these types of people but they do happen throughout most condos.

I had absolutely no money in my pocket.".....Wow, Why would anybody arrive like this ??

By thinking: no worries, theres directly an atm at the airport and in worst case, if all my cards dont work, there are plenty of possibilities to get money sent immediately from my home.
I also have friends who pick me up directly at the airport, which also gave me a safe feeling.

Never had any problems in the past, but yea, the more i think about it, the less i understand it as well.... [emoji28] but i learned from it, thats most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

Did you  / will you have a Tourist Visa (from a consulate) or did you / will you be using a visa-exemption?

The law is quite clear, 20k or the equivalent in cash must be carried. And, just like back home, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I'm sure you will be just fine, but it's always best to have your ducks in a row.

Yep , I had have the  "T" crossed and the "i" dotted and I still carry 20 thousand Baht in, then spend 300 thousand baht or there about's.????

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Sure they do! In my condo I see some very short-term rentals being done to tourists staying for a week or so. Annoying to see these types of people but they do happen throughout most condos.

Most condos do not rent out short term to tourists and I believe it is often illegal. Perhaps many in your condo block do but then you are also a tourist which is why I find it odd that you are annoyed seeing 'these types' when you yourself are 'these types'.

TVF, what a place LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Aerosolist said:

this was the most unprofessional experience i ever had with an official.

Totally meaningless statement. Just because you found the experience annoying and uncomfortable doesn't mean it was an "unprofessional experience," whatever that means.

Also saying "almost refused entry" is a little like saying " I almost won the lottery " or " I was almost on time to board the train."   Either something happened or it didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

Most condos do not rent out short term to tourists and I believe it is often illegal. Perhaps many in your condo block do but then you are also a tourist which is why I find it odd that you are annoyed seeing 'these types' when you yourself are 'these types'.

TVF, what a place LOL

It is illegal but it's the owners who are renting it out to short-term one week or so tourists. They do it all over the place where tourists like to stay. I'm a long-term tourist who likes to enjoy touring beautiful Thailand and has lived in the same condo for many years ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aerosolist said:

I bet, that if you would have heard the conversation you would agree. Almost shouting for no reason, i mean whats the point in asking me 6 times the same question and every time getting a bit louder and more agressive, also she threw the bank statement back at me when i gave it to here. I would understand that if i acted like an idiot, but i just said yes and no and explained short and quick how it is in a very friendly way. Sorry but that is unprofessional indeed.

Almost refused: it was almost, but maybe not the best title, sorry. Didnt want to blow the whole thing up, if this is the impression.

You're really lucky they let you in. I've read many posts on here over the years about people being denied entry and forced to book flights to other countries. The official reason was that they didn't have enough money on them, even if they did.

This woman could have had you thrown out in a heartbeat.

There's often a very good reason why people shout at others, for example perhaps she has a personality disorder or some other brain problem.

Edited by ukrules

It is illegal but it's the owners who are renting it out to short-term one week or so tourists. They do it all over the place where tourists like to stay. I'm a long-term tourist who likes to enjoy touring beautiful Thailand and has lived in the same condo for many years [emoji6]

What is illegal in renting out condos on weekly or even daily base? [emoji50] I never heard about it. Those things are official and there is mostly always a contract.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aerosolist said:

What is illegal in renting out condos on weekly or even daily base? emoji50.png I never heard about it. Those things are official and there is mostly always a contract.

Many landlords use Air BnB and similar to rent out short term and it is illegal.

For those landlords wanting to rent for days and weeks (less than a month) they should have a license to do so according to the hotel act of 2004, most obviously do not.

Edited by MARK74
  • Like 1

You're really lucky they let you in. I've read many posts on here over the years about people being denied entry and forced to book flights to other countries. The official reason was that they didn't have enough money on them, even if they did.

This woman could have had you thrown out in a heartbeat.

There's often a very good reason why people shout at others, for example perhaps she has a personality disorder or some other brain problem.

Yea you are right, i mean in the end i was thankful that she let me in of course. When i read here in the forum i knew i was very lucky, and thats also why i wrote „almost refused“

Could be that this aggressive way is a strategie to make the oppsit nervous to get the truth out of them. [emoji16]

that fair's enough BBi1 and there is nothing wrong with that IMO, well I couldn't care less how others choose to stay here or if a landlord rents out a place bending the rules, it doesn't affect me.
It can just be a little confusing for people with some of your comments.
For example, Elaviejero was pointing out that tourists don't rent condos. What he was implying is don't wave around a condo rental agreement to an IO if entering on a tourist visa as there is nothing to gain except suspicion of someone abusing the Tourist visas and he is correct.

So you would recommend to have addiotional a normal hotel booking, for example for 1 week which i could still cancel after entering the country?
Btw is there any rule for how many nights the hotel should be booked? This is almost impossible to book everything in advance if i would be a backpacker for example. So i wonder about rules there.

22 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Unlike other posters, you have my sympathy. Why shouldn't a guy with a good job and plenty of holiday time come here twice a year as a tourist? And surely the country should welcome him with open arms and be pleased. Why should a person in this day and age have a large amount of cash in his pocket? Many of these rules and regulations are just stupid and a decent immigration official should be able to spot a man of means and have the ability to check your funds. With a mindset to catch and deter people they are chasing away good visitors with their endless need for papers and documents. Good luck next time.

I certainly don't regard 20,000 baht as being a large amount of cash.