Australian man dies after shark attack in popular tourist area

webfact

Australian man dies after shark attack in popular tourist area

By Paulina Duran

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A man died after it was attacked by a shark in waters off Australia's tropical northeast coast on Monday, police said, the third attack in the popular tourist region in the last two months.

The 33-year-old Australian man was paddle boarding and then swimming off a chartered yacht in the Whitsunday Islands' Cid Harbor when he was bitten by a shark at around 5:30 p.m. on Monday, a police spokesman said.

The attack follows two others in September, when a 12-year-old girl and a 46-year-old man suffered severe injuries from shark attacks while swimming on two consecutive days.

"The man was then relayed to the shore before being transported to Mackay Hospital where he later passed away," the spokesman said in a statement.

Australia ranked behind only the United States in the number of unprovoked shark encounters with humans in 2017, according to the University of Florida's International Shark Attack File.

The man bitten on Monday suffered severe injuries in his legs and arm, and was resuscitated before being transferred to hospital, a spokesman for the Queensland Ambulance Service said.

The Whitsunday Islands is a popular tourist site 900 km (560 miles) northwest of the state capital Brisbane. Until now, shark attacks in the area had been very rare, a spokesman said.

Following the September incidents, four tiger sharks were culled and aquatic traps were laid out by the Queensland government, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

(Reporting by Paulina Duran; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-06

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Culled, pc word for slaughtered so humans can keep on invading their territory for some fun.

For goodness sake people are only yachting and going for a swim. I have snorkeled in Cid harbour and it is a great place to be. If there are repetitive shark attacks they should be put down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Ye and 500 plus miles north West of Brisbain Would'nt that be north east.

Need to take a look at the map matey, Qld is vaguely triangular shaped so 500 miles NE of Brissy would plonk you in the middle of the Coral Sea. The town of Mackay, nearby to CID Harbour, is defo NW of Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

For goodness sake people are only yachting and going for a swim. I have snorkeled in Cid harbour and it is a great place to be. If there are repetitive shark attacks they should be put down.

Why? They have as much right to be on this planet as humans do!  People know it’s dangerous to go into the ocean in certain places and still they do, fully willingly taking the risk and therefore I absolutely see no reason to cull the sharks just because so they can go swimming. How many people die of snake bites every year? Should we exterminate all venomous and large enough constricting snakes as well? And while we’re at it, let’s get rid of all cars because they kill hundreds of thousands of people every year. Or even better we could exterminate the human race because we are the true killers on this planet!

As before already mentioned, it’s us invading their territory and as far as I’m concerned, the one who plays with fire will eventually get burned! 

Edited by pacovl46
Typo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

NO.  Sharks are increasing endangered... many species on the brink of extinction.  Unlike humans who are basically reaching plague proportions now.  If a human is so stupid to go swimming an area where dangerous sharks are know to live that's their fault not the sharks.  

Your logic we might as well wipe out all the tigers, bears, wolves and crocodiles while we are at it in case they kill someone.  

And if they had not been shot/culled/eaten would you still wander into a forest. If you like the comfort of the city OK. Up here the FIL says there were tigers in the mountains when he was young and lived and worked in the mountains.. That would make it an interesting tourist attraction now where you might be mauled if out of your comfort zone.

As far as crocodiles in Oz you are way out of touch. Even the indigenous want to cull them as they are taking over the rivers in NT.

10 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

And if they had not been shot/culled/eaten would you still wander into a forest. If you like the comfort of the city OK. Up here the FIL says there were tigers in the mountains when he was young and lived and worked in the mountains.. That would make it an interesting tourist attraction now where you might be mauled if out of your comfort zone.

As far as crocodiles in Oz you are way out of touch. Even the indigenous want to cull them as they are taking over the rivers in NT.

So you're saying it is good we killed the tigers so you can go out for a walk in the mountains.

Edited by stevenl

13 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

So you are actually happy to kill all potentially dangerous wild animals to humans can have a nice walk in the forest or swim in the sea?  Sad.

I don't go wandering in the forest (let alone on my own).  Is that a common pastime for you?  Maybe some people in Oz want the crocodiles culled, but that is not happening because its clearly wrong.... and Oz is the worst country for wiping out and causing the extinction of its native wildlife (and native people).

Better leave the animals alone, and just stay out of their homes.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

So you're saying it is good we killed the tigers so you can go out for a walk in the mountains.

Not me but many people live there so they are now safe. The tiger population around here back then was probably small. No I would not go and kill a tiger but that is what has happened

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So you are actually happy to kill all potentially dangerous wild animals to humans can have a nice walk in the forest or swim in the sea?  Sad.

I don't go wandering in the forest (let alone on my own).  Is that a common pastime for you?  Maybe some people in Oz want the crocodiles culled, but that is not happening because its clearly wrong.... and Oz is the worst country for wiping out and causing the extinction of its native wildlife (and native people).

Better leave the animals alone, and just stay out of their homes.  

Have you lived in the NT and had experience with this.

58 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Have you lived in the NT and had experience with this.

No.  

Oz is such a massive country you are not forced to live next to a crocodile infested river.  Is that where you are from?  Surely there are not crocodiles waling up the street and getting into your house to eat you.  How many people get killed by crocodiles each year there, as say, compared to being hit by a car, murdered or having a hear attack as they are too fat from unhealthy food? Then think which is more dangerous.

Edited by jak2002003

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Not me but many people live there so they are now safe. The tiger population around here back then was probably small. No I would not go and kill a tiger but that is what has happened

The shortsightedness is astounding.