Do they ask for your passport on the boat to Koh Samui from Surat

Now, this might sound like a strange question to many as you're not leaving Thailand, but when I took my car on the boat to Samui they did ask for my passport, not on the way back though.

So if you travel by foot, did they ask you to show your passport?

The last few times I took my car on the ferry I had to show my passport, as the driver, but none of the other people in my car had to show theirs.

Which is actually quite strange. Why only the drivers and not the passengers? 

I've tried to think of scenarios where that could be useful for the authorities but I cannot come up with anything that makes sense.

Probably just tiT

Edited by ikbenhet
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Foreigners will often be asked for their passports under various circumstances in Thailand when what is meant is, please may I see some ID - as said earlier a Thai drivers license satisfies this need 99.99% of the time.

Authorities have never asked me for my passport in the 6 or so years I've been here, except for this one time at the boat to Samui with car. When applying for a new internet connection they might've asked for it, same when booking a hotel or signing a rental contract.

But government/police, literally never, while I've been arrested twice, and fined dozens of times paying at the police station, and even in those cases they didn't ask me for my passport.

48 minutes ago, ikbenhet said:

The last few times I took my car on the ferry I had to show my passport, as the driver, but none of the other people in my car had to show theirs.

Which is actually quite strange. Why only the drivers and not the passengers? 

I've tried to think of scenarios where that could be useful for the authorities but I cannot come up with anything that makes sense.

Probably just tiT

Yeah you'd think the blue car book would suffice, but even that is odd, especially on the boat to, now if it's the boat from Samui to shore it would be different in case it's a rental, eg to prevent theft.

Edited by dennis123

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Foreigners will often be asked for their passports under various circumstances in Thailand when what is meant is, please may I see some ID - as said earlier a Thai drivers license satisfies this need 99.99% of the time.

yes

On 11/9/2018 at 6:10 AM, HappyAndRich said:

Can happen, or not. Sometimes. However, that is not a problem at all, due to that you shall always carry your passport and not be on overstay.

The letter of the law in Thailand states that all foreigners must carry their passport or other travel document.

However, reality sets in and the Thai authorities accept that due to possible loss or theft of passports, then another form of photo id or a copy of the passport is acceptable. (In the past I have even used a Taronga zoo pass!)

The copy passport should also show the latest entry stamp.

Like others that have posted here, I only show my Thai DL when checking into either hotels or domestic flights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The letter of the law in Thailand states that all foreigners must carry their passport or other travel document.

That was the important thing, right? If everybody start to follow the rules, maybe they no need to be so tough on foreigners in the future.

Everything else was just what you and other people do, and that doesn´t make it right.

Edited by HappyAndRich

Living on Samui ~30 years, I never had to show a passport or driving licence to anyone. I drive on the island daily, car and motorbikes. Countless times to the mainland by Raja and Seatrans. Never even have heard about that, but now.

It could be that they were looking for someone (?)

Edited by Birdman

5 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

That was the important thing, right? If everybody start to follow the rules, maybe they no need to be so tough on foreigners in the future.

Everything else was just what you and other people do, and that doesn´t make it right.

It is a bit more than common practice.

Both the British Government advisory and the head of police in Bangkok have stated publicly that photo id or passport copy with both the details and the latest entry stamp are acceptable but you must be able to provide the actual passport with 24 hours if requested by authorised people.

That 'makes it right'. Not my say so.

22 hours ago, Birdman said:

Living on Samui ~30 years, I never had to show a passport or driving licence to anyone. I drive on the island daily, car and motorbikes. Countless times to the mainland by Raja and Seatrans. Never even have heard about that, but now.

It could be that they were looking for someone (?)

Oh and the army are on standby at the ferries normally donsak side

Further to other replies; As soon as I renew my retirement extn each year I make 3x A4 copies of Bio page, Extn page and Thai DL which stay above my sun shield until the following year. I also photograph and hold copies in my phone.

The only time I needed one was to enter central car park when I couldn't be bothered to get my wallet out cos I was sitting on it! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Further to other replies; As soon as I renew my retirement extn each year I make 3x A4 copies of Bio page, Extn page and Thai DL which stay above my sun shield until the following year. I also photograph and hold copies in my phone.

The only time I needed one was to enter central car park when I couldn't be bothered to get my wallet out cos I was sitting on it! ????

Oh yeah after the bombing I was also asked to identify myself when parking there.