Supreme Patriarch spared asset rule

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:22 AM, webfact said:

Wissanu stepped in after universities protested loudly. Watcharapol yesterday hinted that the new rule might be postponed by 30 days. 

“This way, current council members will have more time to reflect and prepare themselves.

Should read: This way, current council members will have more time to hide their assets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Folks need to stop offering cash "donations" at each and every tamboon, blessing, etc....

Extending the usual food and the sundries is quite acceptable, as tradition calls. 

Don't know where this cash giving was instigated......a generation or two ago? 

The basic ideal that monks don't require spare cash has long passed. 

....and one wonders why the growing demand for monkhood at any Wat is so high these days.

It's become an occupation and income deriving vehicle, less a spiritual calling. 

The Wat in my village recently purchased a plot of land across the street for 1,000,000 baht. My wife now informs me that there will be a meeting to ask villagers to donate 2,000 baht per talang wa which would yield a profit of more than 1,000,000 baht. The wat has already more than doubled in size in the last 12 years.

• Like 1

In 1995 when Luang Por Koon, a monk from the Isaan who was the 'rock star' favourite of the time, my wife told me he was in hospital because his Mercedes had overturned. "It was a gift" she told me. When I asked her why he hadn't sold it and given the money to the poor, she gave me a confused look and I wasn't up for long explanations to her.

Looking back 70/80 years and more. Buddhism seemed so much more simple and a real religion then. The question is, has it always been the materialistic way it is now and was hidden from view in days gone by?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

The Wat in my village recently purchased a plot of land across the street for 1,000,000 baht. My wife now informs me that there will be a meeting to ask villagers to donate 2,000 baht per talang wa which would yield a profit of more than 1,000,000 baht. The wat has already more than doubled in size in the last 12 years.

I've known numerous instances, throughout the years, that Wat property is used [or whored out] for profitable purposes. 

Much to the chagrin of taboos that disallow Wat land to be promoted in this manner.

Big business prevails.

• Like 1