Norfolk TV and fishing legend John Wilson dies in Thailand

webfact

Norfolk TV and fishing legend John Wilson dies in Thailand

stream_img.jpg

John Wilson has died in Thailand. Credit: ITV News Anglia.

A Norfolk television, radio and fishing legend, once voted "the greatest angler of all time", has died at his home in Thailand.

John Wilson spent years bringing fishing to millions through his programmes, including Anglia's Go Fishing.

Today his family confirmed the broadcaster had died in Thailand, where he had lived since 2013.

Full story: https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2018-11-13/norfolk-tv-and-fishing-legend-john-wilson-dies-in-thailand/

-- ITV 2018-11-14

I ain't into fishing, but i grew up in Norfolk, lived & worked in Norfolk a looooong time, with family & friends still there.

The guy was, indeed, a legend in Norfolk.

Saw a short documentary on the house he built here - nice plot of land.

RIP.

R.I.P. John and thanks for the memories. Only a couple of days ago I watched one of his early Go Fishing programs on YouTube. I still own a couple of his designed rods back I the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Anyone who has been on TV seems to be a legend these days, never heard of the bloke

A true legend for fishermen from Norfolk with MANY hours on TV.. Certainly not just anyone  in the sport...especially if you fished the wensum and yare rivers. Well respected. RIP John.

• Like 1

He moved to Thailand some years ago. His brother had a fishery 10K inland of Hua Hin. Fished there with my wife 10 years ago. She caught 4 Julian Price carp. Met him once at an angling fair in North Weald.

Tight lines John; RIP. You gave so many so much pleasure. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

He moved to Thailand some years ago. His brother had a fishery 10K inland of Hua Hin. Fished there with my wife 10 years ago. She caught 4 Julian Price carp. Met him once at an angling fair in North Weald.

Tight lines John; RIP. You gave so many so much pleasure. 

Less we forget Dick walker ..fist guy to land a 44 pond carp ...happy days in the 60s Angling times. my first rod was a tank arial. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tweedle dee said:

Less we forget Dick walker ..fist guy to land a 44 pond carp ...happy days in the 60s Angling times. my first rod was a tank arial. 

Dick Walker; the father of modern angling. Nominated for "BBC Sportsperson of the year" about 60 years ago. Lived in a house in 'fish pond' road; very apt.

Remember also the Taylor brothers; Ken and Fred (I think) always catching monster chub in the Upper Ouse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Dick Walker; the father of modern angling. Nominated for "BBC Sportsperson of the year" about 60 years ago. Lived in a house in 'fish pond' road; very apt.

Remember also the Taylor brothers; Ken and Fred (I think) always catching monster chub in the Upper Ouse.

I lived a spell in Ledbury and close by was the river Lugg ..i schooled the locals on how to hunt em down..my fave was the Grayling ..small but oh so hard to hook .. just like a woman .

• Like 1