Pai Nai? / Gin Khaow Lao?

stonybonytony

The majority of my conversations with Thai people start with one of these 2 questions. I am assuming that rather than having an undying interest in where I am going and a concern that I eat often enough, these a language ticks in the same way as I would say 'how's it going?', or more formally 'how do you do?'

Should I continue to answer these questions literally (I am almost always going to the same few places and it is usually obvious, and tend to pretend I've eaten even if I haven't because otherwise I am likely to be offered something pet pet mak) or are there stock replies that Thai people would use, or replies that would be faintly amusing?

Pai nai? -- answer: pai lin (always accepted), pai ngan/thula (on weekdays)

Kin Khao laeo? --- answer: Kin laeo, khob khun kha/krab

As kin khao laew ru yang is an informal greeting, it is more easily answered simply as kin laew khrap/kha, but in the rural areas be expected to answer the inevitable follow-up question, kin khao kap arai. :o

As for pai nai, again an informal greeting, it is best translated in English as "what's up?" or in the vernacular of today "wazz up?" and can be responded to as vaguely or specifically as desired with no social penalty for being vague.

Hi,

Yes, meatball, you are right (and I don't have Thai fonts). Pai Lin or deun lin means taking a stroll (I am just back from Isaan, therefore my non-use of "deun", sorry.

@Johpa:

regarding pai nai, it is also common to answer back with a pai nai. Actually, once you are used to Thai customs it comes automatically and both of you end up saying it simultaneously. But it only works if you run into somebody who actually moves. I was regularly struck speechless when I was asked "pai nai" by a person who was not "pai"-ing, but sitting somewhere (like you pass a coffee shop and somebody greets you). :o