Thailand Gears Up For Full-Blown Loy Krathong

webfact

Nation Gears Up For Full-Blown Loy Krathong 

(photos)

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

70722072-10D6-4715-A35E-7EA02B2D6863crop

Dancers perform to mark beginning of Yi Peng, a northern variation of Loy Krathong, in Chiang Mai on Wednesday night

BANGKOK — After a two year hiatus, the river lantern festival of Loy Krathong is making a comeback in its blazing glory this evening.

Vendors countrywide are busy sewing banana leafs into krathongs, festivities are planned and even junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha will personally float his krathong at a canal next to Government House later today, according to officials.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/11/22/nation-gears-up-for-full-blown-loy-krathong-photos/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-11-22

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Don't tell me it's the bald TVF Saul Goodman. He seems to have disappeared.

I can't tell you his name over the phone..

Please send me 200 Ruritanian dollars and a coherent and cohesive legal strategy can be mapped out within hours..

The sky is the limit when it comes to Buddhist festival trauma..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

Why didn't they have it the past two years?

Apparently Thai religious festivals that date back hundreds of years can just be cancelled at will for a year or two. A bit like us cancelling Easter if the Queen dies. As we all know, religious festivals in the west superceed in importance any monarchical events, and cannot be cancelled for any reason. Not so here it seems.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Apparently Thai religious festivals that date back hundreds of years can just be cancelled at will for a year or two. A bit like us cancelling Easter if the Queen dies. As we all know, religious festivals in the west superceed in importance any monarchical events, and cannot be cancelled for any reason. Not so here it seems.

You're not in Kansas now Jeremy, or should I say Norfolk, since it seems you're British.

1 hour ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nor can any cultural comparisons be observed.

One has nothing, whatsoever, to do with the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

apparently, you do not know Thailand at all. Try saying what you said on a street corner ... Big Joke will have your areese

Im usually not here at this time of year so I really enjoyed it. I was going to go to IconSiam, but decided to go to Wat Prayun and was glad I did. I saw maybe 5 falang the entire night. Most of the time, in the huge crowds (you could barely walk in some spots), I was the only one. Folks were happy, smiling, trying to talk English to me, eating, snacking, eating, snacking, choosing their Krathongs, making Krathongs (99% of the ones I saw were Bannana leaves or bread, the fish were having a field day), having a beer, snacking, taking selfies with me, telling their little Kids doo ti farang, posing for pictures with their Krathongs, eating, snacking, music, it was fabulous. The BIBs let me use their table to pack and unpack my gear. Everyone was having a fun time, the Monks were posing for pics and taking pics, girls and ladies were in Traditional dress. The Moms must spend hours on their little girls dressing them and putting on their make up, you take a pic of one and then ALL of them want their picture taken. The Khao Moo was all decorated with candles and lights, the turtles were getting fed, and the thing that gets me is everyone was saying their prayers before they launched their Krathong into the Chao Phraya (they were using baskets, and some guys were in the river itself launching for people). They take a selfie and pray. Fabulous. 

And so was the food, Im snacked out. Some lady was grilling some killer Gai Yang. And shrimp fritters. And those little orange ball things. And Mango Smoothies. And Strawberry juice. Mini eclairs. Donuts. Shrimp with Glass Noodles. Pad Thai omelets. At local prices because Im a cheap Charlie.

I blew out at about 9 just because it was waaay to crowded, I was stuffed with food, out of batteries and folks were still pouring in. Hot girls everywhere. I walked almost to Wonwiang Yai to catch a cab because of traffic.

Im glad I didnt go to Icon Siam or Asiatique, this was far less touristy. Great time.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 2