The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

From having the best defensive record earlier in the season we're now conceding against teams on their first (and sometimes second and third) counter-attacks.

In our back 4, Walker, Delph and Zinchenko have been shaky and guilty of allowing goals, Ederson's form is up and down, Stones has been decent and Laporte brilliant.

Fernandinho being out vs Palace and Leicester and injured during the Chelsea game is a major factor in our defensive woes but he doesn't look like he'll be back soon.

So whats the answer? 

Is this the time to bring in Kompany or Otamendi in a back 3 with Zinchenko and Walker as wingbacks? Extra man in midfield and fewer diddymen upfront? Good luck Pep in solving the current conundrum.

After the Chelsea 'smash n grab' disappointment i needed cheering up so i treated myself to the Amazon Prime 1 month subscription and watched the 8 x Episodes of City's documentary over 2 nights. 

Really enjoyed it, though of course it wouldn't have been so enjoyable had we not had a incredible season.

Even though CityTv show a lot of what goes on behind the seasons, i learnt quite a lot from it.

As someone else (Bob?) said / questioned on here, when Pep talks he barely makes any sense (to me, but maybe the players get 'tuned in' to Pep-speak) and he seems to have little to say, but after i finished the City episodes, i watched the similar All Black 2017 Amazon documentary, and their legendary coach Steve Hansen makes repetitive barely audible monotone comments and they were very successful with the odd blip, so maybe it's more about the 'aura' and support of players that respected successful coaches give out.

Episode 7 of 8 was pretty bleak watching for City fans as it dealt with the CL losses to Liverpool and derby loss: all games we thought we did enough in but lost. The feeling during that time is pretty similar to now: then it was COULD we bounce back vs Spurs at Wembley in the next game and the answer was yes we were bloody excellent, while now we wait to see if we have the spirit to revive our Premier season or not in the next few games. 

If you haven't watched the City documentary it's well worth a watch.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

a back 3 

A definate sign of a mini crisis! ????

It might be completely misguided, but I'm looking forward to this weekend's games more than any other I can remember for a long time. I've even put Pogba and Martial in my fantasy team.

31 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

A definate sign of a mini crisis! ????

It might be completely misguided, but I'm looking forward to this weekend's games more than any other I can remember for a long time. I've even put Pogba and Martial in my fantasy team.

What you don't think we've played a back 3 with 2 wingbacks before and if we do it's a sign of a mini crisis? 

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

What you don't think we've played a back 3 with 2 wingbacks before and if we do it's a sign of a mini crisis? 

Maybe not... I was only being half serious... certainly when United have done it recently it has not been a good sign ????

Thought we were excellent and should have killed it in the first 30 minutes but yet another fullback blunder, this time by Zinchenko, and we'd let them back in the game - Walker/Danilo and Delph/Zinchenko been letting us down of late.

Great 1st goal by Silva created by Bernardo, Ederson two decent 1st half saves, bit of luck with our 2nd, great 3rd by Aguero created by Zinchenko (redemption). Plenty of other chances we failed to put away; very wasteful.

Some decent performances today in a good display. Not perfect but an improvement.

I'd argue that the best midfield combination in the Premier is Silva - Fernandinho - KDB (is there a better 3?).

They haven't started a Premier game together this season; they've only started together once this seaon in fact, the 3-0 win over Shakhtar.

All 3 are currently at various stages of coming back from injury. KDB is doubtful vs liverpool.

It would be great to see all 3 of them start vs Liverpool on Thursday.

• Sad 1

A wonderful team defensive effort and just enough offense to get over the line. The race is back on, thank Buddha !!

Not many negatives, though Spanish Dave doesn't look fit, and hasn't since he did his hammy.

19 minutes ago, jellydog said:

A wonderful team defensive effort and just enough offense to get over the line. The race is back on, thank Buddha !!

Not many negatives, though Spanish Dave doesn't look fit, and hasn't since he did his hammy.

No he looked tired didn't he.  Surely he get rested for a couple of games, especially with the cover you have.  Silva has to be a fit player starting the big games, the emphasis being on "fit"   

Pretty evenly matched and could have been so different if that had have gone over the line in the first half. We also had golden opportunities to go further ahead but didn't capitalize on them. Agree that David isn't 100% fit and we need him back to his best ASAP. Bernardo, LaPorte and of course Aguero (superb goal) where stand outs but Fernandinho was again MOM for me. Boy are we gonna struggle to get a replacement for him.

The hardest thing to cope with when I retire to Thailand, will be these stupid o'clock games. I doff my cap to you guys who do it all the time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Pretty evenly matched and could have been so different if that had have gone over the line in the first half. We also had golden opportunities to go further ahead but didn't capitalize on them. Agree that David isn't 100% fit and we need him back to his best ASAP. Bernardo, LaPorte and of course Aguero (superb goal) where stand outs but Fernandinho was again MOM for me. Boy are we gonna struggle to get a replacement for him.

The hardest thing to cope with when I retire to Thailand, will be these stupid o'clock games. I doff my cap to you guys who do it all the time

The late starts are murder.  Sky switched out FA cup tie to 19.45 GMT on friday night, so theres another!!

As i posted i thought City deserved it on the balance of things but the terrific goal by Aguero definitely seemed to cause a shift in momentum.

As you say,  the other standouts were Bernardo Silva and Fernandinho.

39 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I used to watch the really late games all the time. No more. I caught this one on the 8AM replay.

11 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I used to watch the really late games all the time. No more. I caught this one on the 8AM replay.

The worst is when it goes into extra time then penalties, City supporters have yet to experience that yet and the sun is coming up over the garden wall that really messes your day up

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Mark Clattenburg 

Manchester City defender Vincent Kompany deserved red card for wild lunge at Liverpool's Mo Salah

What do you think guys? Yes or No

8107716-0-Vincent_Kompany_launched_himself_and_connected_with_Mohamed_Sala-a-34_1546559234231.jpg

Looked like a yellow at the time. The more you watch it and slow it down the more it looks like it could be a red but I think I would give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1