The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Warnock's available now ???? I may laugh but I reckon he'd give em a better kick up the backside than Ole

You are doing a bad job of concealing your delight, but let's not forget if timings had worked out differently, Pep may well have taken the United job. He chose Bayern over us, that's fair enough, but had United been looking after his break from football (basically if we hadn't gone for Mourinho) it wouldn't surprise me if Pep would have come. 

Him and Fergie had talked about it. 

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You are doing a bad job of concealing your delight, but let's not forget if timings had worked out differently, Pep may well have taken the United job. He chose Bayern over us, that's fair enough, but had United been looking after his break from football (basically if we hadn't gone for Mourinho) it wouldn't surprise me if Pep would have come. 

Him and Fergie had talked about it. 

Not a hope Pep would have gone to you. We had it planned for several years. Things like Gerona and his brother, along with Txixi etc. All of those things are why he has stayed with us so long

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Not a hope Pep would have gone to you. We had it planned for several years. Things like Gerona and his brother, along with Txixi etc. All of those things are why he has stayed with us so long

I don't care if you are doing some gardening, watching TV, or trimming your pubes... stop what you are doing right now, and take a reality check.........

Your manager had to publicly call out your <deleted> support. Do you think I'd want to support a club like that?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I don't care if you are doing some gardening, watching TV, or trimming your pubes... stop what you are doing right now, and take a reality check.........

Your manager had to publicly call out your <deleted> support. Do you think I'd want to support a club like that?

Did you need to get that rant out Rick? Feel better now?

As for support. I have several pictures available of OT being half empty mid way through the Liverpool game and during the City game

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Did you need to get that rant out Rick? Feel better now?

As for support. I have several pictures available of OT being half empty mid way through the Liverpool game and during the City game

That's called voting with your feet.

10 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

savage ????

Rafael van der Vaart: "If he's £90million, Van Dijk is £300million. I think Maguire goes home every day and tells his wife: 'I'm so s*** at football, but I earn so much. They really believe I'm good'. I really think so, he laughs at everyone."

Who the <deleted> is Rafael Van der Vart to say that though? 

However bad Maguire is that's out of order from a fellow pro IMO.

Edited by RickG16
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Who the <deleted> is Rafael Van der Vart to say that though? 

However bad Maguire is that's out of order from a fellow pro IMO.

Seriously @BangrakBob ... can see why you find it funny. But don't you think that's a bit too personal from a fellow pro?

I realise this is all hilarious for you boys.... but on a serious note....

Is Maguire completely undroppable? I think actually dropping him would be the type of ballsy move that could at least allow Ole to make a statement to the dressing room. Drop him, give Ronaldo the captaincy, and send out the message that you can't carry on putting sub-par performance, no matter how much you cost and if you wear the armband.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Is Maguire completely undroppable? I think actually dropping him would be the type of ballsy move that could at least allow Ole to make a statement to the dressing room. Drop him, give Ronaldo the captaincy, and send out the message that you can't carry on putting sub-par performance, no matter how much you cost and if you wear the armband.

I would have subed Maguire on Saturday and kept Bailly on, Ole doesnt have the balls to do that

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

He is not as bad as some of the others here have suggested, but he does need support in the middle at the back, and he doesn't have it in Lindelhoff, who is constantly caught square and really doesn't fulfil any meaningful role in the middle at the back.

Hate to say it but the old 4 – 3 – 3 formation would solve a lot of his problems, especially when you would have a real sweeper who could mop up any breaks in the back line, and I think back to the likes of Beckenbauer, who was a sweeper and midfield player par excellence, whenever it was needed.

The two outside backs could then overlap and give support to the midfield and the frontline when required, provided they did it when the time was right, and Sir Alf Ramsey had it spot on when he introduced this formation.

Now you have the likes of Wan Bissaka who really doesn't know what he's supposed to do and it doesn't look like his job has been explained to him, and also, for an England international, Luke Shaw looks really out of place because he seems to be in the same boat.

The formation I have just suggested would solve a lot of United's problems, provided the roles of the players are fully explained and worked on, however it doesn't seem as though OGS has the nous to be able to implement such a system.

And does it work? Well England won with it in 1966 and teams adopted this formation for many years until tinkering around with various options has muddied the waters. 

Also I played in this formation and it worked very well, however one has to have an idea of what is trying to be achieved in this formation, and I don't think OGS has a clue about that.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

A ballsy move would be to sell him and start to rebuild your defence with Varane. 

He’s been shocking for ages. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xylophone said:

He is not as bad as some of the others here have suggested, but he does need support in the middle at the back, and he doesn't have it in Lindelhoff, who is constantly caught square and really doesn't fulfil any meaningful role in the middle at the back.

Hate to say it but the old 4 – 3 – 3 formation would solve a lot of his problems, especially when you would have a real sweeper who could mop up any breaks in the back line, and I think back to the likes of Beckenbauer, who was a sweeper and midfield player par excellence, whenever it was needed.

The two outside backs could then overlap and give support to the midfield and the frontline when required, provided they did it when the time was right, and Sir Alf Ramsey had it spot on when he introduced this formation.

Now you have the likes of Wan Bissaka who really doesn't know what he's supposed to do and it doesn't look like his job has been explained to him, and also, for an England international, Luke Shaw looks really out of place because he seems to be in the same boat.

The formation I have just suggested would solve a lot of United's problems, provided the roles of the players are fully explained and worked on, however it doesn't seem as though OGS has the nous to be able to implement such a system.

And does it work? Well England won with it in 1966 and teams adopted this formation for many years until tinkering around with various options has muddied the waters. 

Also I played in this formation and it worked very well, however one has to have an idea of what is trying to be achieved in this formation, and I don't think OGS has a clue about that.

He's hardly tried 4-3-3 I don't think. I seem to remember one Europa League game when Donny Van der Beek played very well in that system. But it was cast aside pretty quickly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well England won with it in 1966 and teams adopted this formation for many years until tinkering around with various options has muddied the waters. 

Think you're mistaken. I'm sure the 'wingless wonders' played in a 4-4-2 formation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Think you're mistaken. I'm sure the 'wingless wonders' played in a 4-4-2 formation.

Yes, that's how the team was set out, but if you recall Stiles moved forward into midfield (although deep) and Charlton forward into the front line, or just behind it.

Either way that, and the later 4-3-3 started the idea that midfielders and fullbacks would move forward to bolster the attack. In addition four along the back line with someone dropping a little deep to cover behind the last line was something which was adopted then and after, with great success.

Now both Lindelhoff and Maguire are often caught square, with disastrous results.

I have just watched the second Match of the Day session and I really don't think that Brendan Rodgers is the man that United want to see them through the next few seasons.

I believe he is one of the "better" managers in the EPL, but apart from the managers of the top three teams, there aren't any other managers who should be considered IMO.

By all means get a caretaker manager in until the "right one" can be found elsewhere.

• Like 1

REVEALED: Manchester United players and staff are surprised at being given a week off by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in wake of derby defeat after under-fire boss flew back to Norway

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has given Manchester United players and staff a week off 

The under-pressure Red Devils manager has returned to Norway with his family

Solskjaer's future at United is being questioned after several woeful defeats

His return to Norway comes days after his side's poor 2-0 defeat by rivals City

Bruno Fernandes quote: "Fernandes: We know we must do much better".

Knowing it is one thing, knowing HOW to is a different story..........and under this leadership, they don't have a game plan/formation/set up/structure etc.

And they have bought some very good players who don't seem to be getting a run out, such as DVB and Jadon Sancho, when they should have been focusing on a couple of top class midfield players who could "run the show" for them.

OGS and his offsiders have shown they don't have a clue and should be out of this proud club ASAP.

United are crying out for a defensive-minded midfielder and Zakaria, who turns 25 later this month, is out-of-contract at Borussia Monchengladbach next summer — meaning he could soon be available on a free transfer.

Nordi Mukiele a right back

Dani Olmo midfielder 

Erling Haaland

Franck Kessié from AC Milan also on a free next summer

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

United are crying out for a defensive-minded midfielder and Zakaria, who turns 25 later this month, is out-of-contract at Borussia Monchengladbach next summer — meaning he could soon be available on a free transfer.

Nordi Mukiele a right back

Dani Olmo midfielder 

Erling Haaland

Franck Kessié from AC Milan also on a free next summer

Checking out Toys 'R' Us already I see.????

8 minutes ago, wilai said:

eerrrr Shopping. Man U's favourite pastime.

Well I think it's time to use some of the new toys that have hardly been touched yet... get Van der Beek and Sancho involved. 

Let's not forget, when your favourite toy was injured, you finished below us didn't you? So don't underestimate how big a miss Varane is.

• Like 1