The Official Rubber Tree Thread

1 hour ago, jmccarty said:

Is the AM production figure correct on average for Thailand. Says 20kg per .06 hectare per month? Rubber pledging scheme 

Don't really understand what you are trying to say? Are you talking about average yield per rai?

Cup?

Latex?

Sheet?

What area of Thailand?

How old are the trees?

Variables, variables.

How long is a piece of string?

The missus, as a registered plantation owner, is due in on the scheme/scam, it's something like 1500 Baht per calendar month for 6 months for 25 rai max, or 1500 Baht per rai as a one off, max 25 rai, but the tappers will get most of it, or something equally complicated and un-understandable,  i lost interest after 5 minutes. I never do with these govt funded subsidies.

We've had several over the years.

Still, better than a kick in the teeth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Don't really understand what you are trying to say? Are you talking about average yield per rai?

Cup?

Latex?

Sheet?

What area of Thailand?

How old are the trees?

Variables, variables.

How long is a piece of string?

The missus, as a registered plantation owner, is due in on the scheme/scam, it's something like 1500 Baht per calendar month for 6 months for 25 rai max, or 1500 Baht per rai as a one off, max 25 rai, but the tappers will get most of it, or something equally complicated and un-understandable,  i lost interest after 5 minutes. I never do with these govt funded subsidies.

We've had several over the years.

Still, better than a kick in the teeth.

The article from the AM does not have more detail, hence the question. Ok, 1,500bht per month per rai projected at 25bht/kilo of cup rubber?  I'll look at it again tomorrow, 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got today's auction prices through on the wife's Line App.

19.25 Baht per kg for cup.

12 bidders, 2 other's in 19's the rest 18 something or other.

Good output for this time of year, but... we get paid out tomorrow and will be going to a 55/45 split.

Unfortunately.

The wife is part of some Mekong-Isaan Rubber group, and the prices east of us in Bung Khan and Mukdahan etc have been all over the place the last month.

All 4-5 Baht less than we have been getting, like 14, 15 16 Baht per kg.

Crazy!

Our local auction place bought sheet last month, get this, the winning bid was 38.38 Baht per kg !!!!!

B16.5/kg today. Told by the depot guy the govt is to start subsidising us (farms <25 rai) to bring the price to B23/kg. Amount calculated (by the govt) on an average production per rai.

TG if I remember rightly your farm is 64 rai. So Sept you'd be averaging 32 kg/rai? That would be around the same as us at a much smaller 10 rai / 310kg just sold. Hope you are right on the production increasing. We are getting a little more rain here at the moment but nothing spectacular.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Mosha said:

The locals who have cut down their old rubber trees, are replacing them with durian. Stand by for a durian crash in 6 years.

They've been doing it all over the south for the last 3 years. Every where you look in Surat thani there are young Durian trees.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Mosha said:

Hi guys. Well just letting everyone know we've sold our land with the rubber on. The money has gone in part to finance my visa extension. So that's it we are out of farming. Good luck to everyone.

Wishing you the best of luck for the future. Thanks for your posts over the years.  I'll let Jim Collister know, he is back in Oz

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi, the family in Chiang Rai is cutting down their longan trees after the price collapsed and they say they want to plant rubber on the promises of the local buyer/shipper. I really hate the idea. I am wondering what might be a viable crop where the shippers do not squeeze out all of the money from the farmers.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Hi, the family in Chiang Rai is cutting down their longan trees after the price collapsed and they say they want to plant rubber on the promises of the local buyer/shipper. I really hate the idea. I am wondering what might be a viable crop where the shippers do not squeeze out all of the money from the farmers.

Yes, agree. Very bad idea. Better keep the longan trees with minimum maintenance until prices are recovering. Trust me, the way are explaining it, all your neighbors in the area have the same idea, Thais like to copy or listen to shady middlemen.

Do you know how long it takes until you can harvest latex from the trees? between 7 to 10 years. God knows how the rubber price is at that time.

Also,´who will cut and collect the latex in the middle of the night? Has the family thought about that? No more sabai sabai as with fruit trees.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Good time to make charcoal from the trees and cash in on rising gas prices.

Not sure what would be a good long term replacement,all much of a muchness the way the government manipulate prices.

• Like 1