Pigs 101 (A Start): The Official Pig Farming Thread

yes betagro have a growing (feed mill/finishing ect) business in and around vientiane...

on one of the wifes facebook contacts (pig stuff) i see a feed business always posting photos of feed/ lorries ect. i think the name on the bag is speed feed, or somthing similar.... 

1 hour ago, jompa67 said:

Anyone know latest price for old sow?

last time i asked (2 ish months ago) company were asking/getting 60 baht kg. at the mo they are picking up cull animals weekly, seems they are in demand at the mo....(used to pick up every 2 wk before)

again as far as i know,company have 2/3 buyers "fighting" to buy from this province all the time, 100's every wk...

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, IsaanAussie said:

I used Betagro feed. I just checked on the web and they have a subsidiary company in Laos (ph. +856 20 59 977 266) Betagro (Lao) Company Limited. Try them.

Hi Issan Aussi

thanks a lot. I will try it. We sell for about 2 years feed for animals from Khrungthai company. Lao farmers a bit different to Thai farmers. About 20 to 30 years back in time. So I will say it like in Germany... What the farmer not know they wont eat it. That's a bit the problem. But let's try.

Thanks to you all

German farmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone no what it could be, went in the pig house this morning and 1 of the 18 kg pigs dead and another 1 wasnt eating just found that one dead got purple patches and black blood would it be a scropion bite or other insect bite or more serious the other 10 are fine thanks 

19 hours ago, sateuk said:

Does anyone no what it could be, went in the pig house this morning and 1 of the 18 kg pigs dead and another 1 wasnt eating just found that one dead got purple patches and black blood would it be a scropion bite or other insect bite or more serious the other 10 are fine thanks 

maybe the dead pig had been dead for some time, 12 plus hours? this could be why you see purple patches and the black  dry? blood...  its very hot at the mo, this could be the course of death,also it will/could put the pigs of there feed, do you have good ventalition, sprayers could be a cheap fix to help cool the animals?

the wifes farm is an evap farm, outside temp 40 plus most days, inside farm temp 28 front 30 at the back, it is still hot for the sows, i can see a drop in feed intake this time of year, also have heard of a lot of farms (same set up of the wifes) have sows dieing at higher then normal rates....

ASF is the worry at the mo, have a read up on it.... try and stop people or animals getting any where near the pig house...  if you see more dead pigs...... contact the government livestock departmnent like mentioned above.

3 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

maybe the dead pig had been dead for some time, 12 plus hours? this could be why you see purple patches and the black  dry? blood...  its very hot at the mo, this could be the course of death,also it will/could put the pigs of there feed, do you have good ventalition, sprayers could be a cheap fix to help cool the animals?

the wifes farm is an evap farm, outside temp 40 plus most days, inside farm temp 28 front 30 at the back, it is still hot for the sows, i can see a drop in feed intake this time of year, also have heard of a lot of farms (same set up of the wifes) have sows dieing at higher then normal rates....

ASF is the worry at the mo, have a read up on it.... try and stop people or animals getting any where near the pig house...  if you see more dead pigs...... contact the government livestock departmnent like mentioned above.

Ok thanks very much for the advice 

4 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Hey Sateuk,

How did you get on with your dead pig, find a cause?

It must of been a scorpion or centipede bite as the rest all ok got 101 babies at moment so was a bit worrying to say the least !! Thanks for asking

• 3 weeks later...

Last Vietnamese number I heard was 1.7 million but it will go higher than 2 million before they get it under control. Multiply that by a hundred and you get closer to the numbers in China. The public hasn't really been touched yet as the big Ag companies are using up their stores of frozen meats and buying from small farms. 

Just hope it doesn't hit here. Lock down mode guys. The prices will go up but so will the risk if you take any chances. 

I've got 110 pigs at different sizes 20 ready to be sold next 2 weeks ,the rest in 4 months time am worried it will wipe me out if it hits here ,but nothing you can do really to prevent the disease

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Good luck. Other people and transport are possibly your biggest risk. Nothing comes in and what goes out stays out. Separate the pigs for sale in another sty away from the herd. 

Thanks I will do that today

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 10:30 PM, sateuk said:

I've got 110 pigs at different sizes 20 ready to be sold next 2 weeks ,the rest in 4 months time am worried it will wipe me out if it hits here ,but nothing you can do really to prevent the disease

set up a spray system for vehicles/people that are going into farm area. can buy chemi at feed shops, saw the betagro we use 1 liter 180 bahts, this will do 200 liters of water, best to change the water once a week to keep the chemi active. spray the wheels and under the body of the vehicles, try and set the spray up as far from the front gate as poss, say 50/60 meters ect. make any visitors that have to enter the farm wear you farm boots, have overalls they can wear, if poss make them shower before enter, and of course boot dips of chemi and clean water in and out of farm, if people not able to shower, make them wash their hand with soap ect....  also dont let an animals in the farm/area, ie dogs birds ect...

just some of the stuff we daily...

My biggest concern is animals like cats and dogs, who can enter the farm without our knowledge.

Think of what your workers bring to eat at the farm for lunch. ASF bacterial is hard to kill, even with high temperature and long time.

In my case the highest risk factor was the transport boxes. Often borrowed and not cleaned. I have a small gate on the outside of each pen so the pig can be loaded into the box outside the pen rather than from the central aisle.

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

In my case the highest risk factor was the transport boxes. Often borrowed and not cleaned. I have a small gate on the outside of each pen so the pig can be loaded into the box outside the pen rather than from the central aisle. 

with those boxes just spray them down same as the vehicles... with finishers/piglets that get sold on why not make an area that is away from main farm where they wait for collection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

with those boxes just spray them down same as the vehicles... with finishers/piglets that get sold on why not make an area that is away from main farm where they wait for collection.

ASF is a virus I think? What can you use to kill it by spraying? Sorry haven't done the homework as we are destocked.

Agree with the separate holding area as an easy way to keep things apart. But it raises the question of scale of operations. My sty sits on about 3 rai and was designed to house others things, pond, house, vegetables etc... The sty is farrow to finish with a maximum of about 120 pigs. It is a different environment to a multi shed farm with 100's of sows. 

IMHO this whole "threat" must be handled to suit each individual farm. 

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

ASF is a virus I think? What can you use to kill it by spraying? Sorry haven't done the homework as we are destocked.

Agree with the separate holding area as an easy way to keep things apart. But it raises the question of scale of operations. My sty sits on about 3 rai and was designed to house others things, pond, house, vegetables etc... The sty is farrow to finish with a maximum of about 120 pigs. It is a different environment to a multi shed farm with 100's of sows. 

My operation is same as yours hold max 120 pigs plus 20 sows and no way to block everyone off but I can keep finisher pigs separate from the main herd . What is the latest price in your area please we was 70 BAHT but I heard it going up as pork is 145 a kg in our area

We are destocked and haven't sold any pigs so I cannot give you any prices. I have heard 65 to 72 baht but no details on what size pigs. Not much happening in our area at time of year, rice planting is taking care of any cash and there aren't any parties happening. 

15 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

with spraying the vehicles that come into the farm its just common sense, its not only the threat of asf its anything that can affect or harm the animals. basic hygiene is a must.

30 ish sow plus the litters onto finishing seems to be a very popular number, have met afew westerners around us that keep these numbers. one guy i was talking to the other week in the local bank, he was still wearing his boots and farm clothes in bank...

agree, one should always do ones homework

1 hour ago, thoongfoned said:

agree, one should always do ones homework

From what I have read there are disinfectants that will kill the virus, but I haven't tried to find a the right product. I thought maybe you guys may know. 

If we eliminate direct contact with infected pigs since farmed pigs are confined and the introduction of material containing the virus (which can survive for years). The main risk would via soft bodied ticks that carry the infection from infected stock.

I have suffered from tick infections before. When we first started I had 3 sows that contacted parvo virus from tick bites. The first two farrowed litters of dead piglets. The third had about half as stillborns. It took a while to be sure that was gone. The answer was to eliminate ticks. 

I would suggest that you keep a sharp eye out for any ticks.