The Official Farm Photos Thread

• 1 month later...

Not the nicest photo ever taken, but just trying to get this thread up and running again. Finally weeded between what are supposed to be "finger lime" trees - but as it turns out, I got conned as many of the plants I bought either went tits up or were not grafted with finger lime scions but with something that looks similar. 

1547981566626.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:59 AM, djayz said:

Not the nicest photo ever taken, but just trying to get this thread up and running again. Finally weeded between what are supposed to be "finger lime" trees - but as it turns out, I got conned as many of the plants I bought either went tits up or were not grafted with finger lime scions but with something that looks similar. 

1547981566626.jpg

No worries mate.... Were on the right track now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21,000 chickens ready to go. Some of these are pushing 3.5kg.

Note, antibiotic-free.

1551097221595.jpg.18704da7cdb17ce6087169ac0036aeec.jpg
1551097198579.jpg.dfee120993f67aeeb35d71f1cc8a867c.jpg
Looks great.
Are you contracting with Betagro?
Do you know what type of breed your broilers are?
What about the feed? No kind of medicine or similar mixed in?

Chickens are Cobb. All male this time from young hens. We were concerned when we received them to see the chicks so small. The first week they were below target weight but have soon caught up.

The feed contains no animal protein or antibiotic. Amino acids and vitamins are added to the feed but all dry matter is corn, soya and other organic matter.

From day one to six they are given a low dose antibiotic (we don't claim to be NAE but are residue-free at slaughter) which clears their system within 15 days. They are also given additional vitamin supplement for the first ten days or so.

We have also started an EM supplement from around day twenty to day thirty-eight this time which improved their gut health, hopefully reduces FCR and reduces farm smell.

One way we differ is that we give them six hours continuous dark, during nighttime which we believe helps with feed digestion and aids welfare.

We cull and dissect two chickens at day thirty and take them to the lab for residue tests. The vet takes blood samples around day forty and take to the lab also.

Most of the company chicken is exported to Japan.
Thanks for the details.
I wished all chickens in Thailand would be raised in this way...
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

How are you introducing the EM and at what dosage/dilution? I used activated EM (EMA = 1:1:20) at 1/1000 in the water used for drinkers and pen washing for our pigs. Brilliant results. 

First time we've used it. Supplied from our vet. He removed the labels from the containers to preserve his source and profit......so I don't know what concentration it is supplied. We dose in the wayer at 1:1400.

If you could tell me what EM product you used I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

Beware there are many things "labelled by locals" as EM. The real EM is made here by EMRO and is the original Japanese Dr Haga formulation. Last time I purchased that it was 80 baht per litre and the labelling was printed in green on the 1 litre white plastic packaging. Take a look at www.emro-asia.com for the logo.

There are local clones which are sold for around 50 baht per litre (not a lot of difference in effect). 

I used a couple of different brands for composting etc and for the pigs to start.

Later I got a special probiotic starter brew which I then reproduced on farm (2 200Litre drums). It supposedly had a different set of microbes (big secret???). All I know is it produced marginally better FCR and immune system results. BUT it was 30K initially to set it up, after that zero per litre. 

I don't know if birds require anything special but I chose the pig special since the Health Department Head "suggested" it would fix a repeated complaint he was getting and dismissing. I really didn't get a choice and didn't think too much about the shares in the proceeds.

**** What did your vet do to get the EM going?

All probiotics are supplied inert or "asleep". The first step is to activate them. 

You are dosing at 1:1400. That is about the same as I was told to use with the pig EM.

I have 4 1000 litre tanks which I put 1 litre/tank of either EMA or the EM-Pig into before I filled them. 

So it was using one litre of EMA (made by fermenting 1 litre of EM, 1 litre of molasses and 18 litres of water in a 20 litre jerry can for about a week) or drawing a litre of EM-Pig from the brew tanks.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Beware there are many things "labelled by locals" as EM. The real EM is made here by EMRO and is the original Japanese Dr Haga formulation. Last time I purchased that it was 80 baht per litre and the labelling was printed in green on the 1 litre white plastic packaging. Take a look at www.emro-asia.com for the logo.

There are local clones which are sold for around 50 baht per litre (not a lot of difference in effect). 

I used a couple of different brands for composting etc and for the pigs to start.

Later I got a special probiotic starter brew which I then reproduced on farm (2 200Litre drums). It supposedly had a different set of microbes (big secret???). All I know is it produced marginally better FCR and immune system results. BUT it was 30K initially to set it up, after that zero per litre. 

I don't know if birds require anything special but I chose the pig special since the Health Department Head "suggested" it would fix a repeated complaint he was getting and dismissing. I really didn't get a choice and didn't think too much about the shares in the proceeds.

**** What did your vet do to get the EM going?

All probiotics are supplied inert or "asleep". The first step is to activate them. 

You are dosing at 1:1400. That is about the same as I was told to use with the pig EM.

I have 4 1000 litre tanks which I put 1 litre/tank of either EMA or the EM-Pig into before I filled them. 

So it was using one litre of EMA (made by fermenting 1 litre of EM, 1 litre of molasses and 18 litres of water in a 20 litre jerry can for about a week) or drawing a litre of EM-Pig from the brew tanks.

Thanks, I'll look it up. Apparently what he supplies is activated and I've no doubt it's home made. Plus he's charging B200/litre.

I add to drinking water same as vitamin, vaccine, etc using the dosing pump.

Well at 1:1400 and B200/litre the cost per bird is not high. A 3.5 Kg chicken will take a while to drink a litre. If it works, and its his vet's reputation at stake. I'd be inclined to make sure he knows you are watching the results. 

You are on a zero cost base if it is in fact working. You wont save any money using EMRO's stuff until you can show FCR  and medication/vet cost improvements.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Well at 1:1400 and B200/litre the cost per bird is not high. A 3.5 Kg chicken will take a while to drink a litre. If it works, and its his vet's reputation at stake. I'd be inclined to make sure he knows you are watching the results. 

You are on a zero cost base if it is in fact working. You wont save any money using EMRO's stuff until you can show FCR  and medication/vet cost improvements.

Spot on. I'll let you know our next FCR, last one 1.70

Currently trying to figure out how the Kiwis get 1.38