Most of UK PM May's Conservative Party members oppose her Brexit deal - survey

webfact

Most of UK PM May's Conservative Party members oppose her Brexit deal - survey

By Kylie MacLellan

2019-01-04T001922Z_1_LYNXNPEF03022_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives at a European Union leaders summit in Brussels, Belgium December 13, 2018. REUTERS/Francois Lenoir/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - A majority of Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservative Party members oppose her Brexit deal with the European Union, according to a survey published on Friday.

With less than three months until Britain leaves the bloc, May is yet to win parliament's backing for her deal and the research may dent hopes that pressure from local members over Christmas might persuade Conservative lawmakers to support it.

May postponed a planned December vote on her deal in parliament after admitting it was set to be defeated and is seeking further assurances from EU leaders ahead of a vote now due to take place the week beginning Jan. 14.

The survey of 1,215 Conservative Party members found 59 percent opposed May's deal, with 38 percent in favour.

More than half of members questioned said they did not believe it respected the result of the 2016 Brexitreferendum.

Asked how they would vote if another referendum were held to choose between May's deal or leaving without a deal, just 29 percent said they would pick May's agreement, compared to 64 percent who would opt for no deal.

The survey was conducted Dec. 17-22 by YouGov for the Party Members Project, a three-year study of membership of the six largest British parties funded by a non-departmental public body, the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).

"Grassroots Tories are even less impressed than Tory Members of Parliament (MPs)," said Tim Bale, Professor of Politics at Queen Mary University of London, who helps run the Party Members project.

"If some of those MPs can be persuaded to back the Prime Minister's deal, it won't be because they've come under pressure to do so from their local party members over the Christmas break."

May is seeking assurances from the EU over the so-called Irish backstop, an insurance policy to avoid a hard border between the British province and EU-member Ireland, which remains the main obstacle to securing the backing of parliament.

The backstop has cost her the support of dozens of her own lawmakers and the small Northern Irish party that props up her minority government, with critics fearing it could leave Britain indefinitely trapped in the EU's customs union.

Only 11 percent of Conservative members thought the backstop made sense and should be part of the Brexitdeal. Although 23 percent thought it was a bad idea but a price worth paying to secure a deal, 40 percent said Britain should reject any deal that included the backstop.

The government has said it is stepping up planning for a no-deal Brexit, which Brexit minister Stephen Barclay said on Thursday was a more likely outcome if parliament rejects May's deal.

Business leaders have warned a no-deal Brexit would cause huge disruption, clogging up ports with additional border checks and dislocating supply chains in Europe and beyond.

Asked about warnings over the risks of no-deal disruption, including potential food and medicine shortages, 76 percent of Conservative members said they were "exaggerated or invented".

(Editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-04

Pity she hasn't spent the last two years making preparations for leaving the EU rather than trying to find ways to stay forever connected to it.  If leaving without a deal is indeed a disaster the majority of the blame should be on her shoulders, even her own party don't support her blinkered approach.

It's not the Brits themselves, it's their Government - the Government was told the UK does not want to be part of the EU mess and to arrange to get out.

Must say it seems things are shaping up well for a total exit which will be good for the UK after a few hiccups and very painful to the EU (who fully deserves every bit of pain they will feel due to they own intransigence and incompetence)

1 hour ago, gmac said:

Pity she hasn't spent the last two years making preparations for leaving the EU rather than trying to find ways to stay forever connected to it.  If leaving without a deal is indeed a disaster the majority of the blame should be on her shoulders, even her own party don't support her blinkered approach.

I agree, but that's only 'cos MPs know that the electorate realise her 'deal' is leave in name only....

The vast majority of MPs would prefer to remain, but are understandably concerned that their constituents know that it is a very bad deal indeed for the uk....

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Business leaders have warned a no-deal Brexit would cause huge disruption, clogging up ports with additional border checks and dislocating supply chains in Europe and beyond.

The boss of Dover Ports has stated that this will not be a huge problem. Only time will tell of course.

Since there is no planned GE and TM cannot be challenged for leadership for year due to the incompetence of the ERG the views of party members are not that relevant at the present time since their main role is in choosing MPs and voting in a leadership election. There were also a lot of new members who were encouraged to join in the hope of selecting a new leader who will be harder to persuade to renew now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think there should be a survey now! 

It seems as if the Brit's government got Thai roots! 

A bunch of clowns. And British people were voting for them. That says a lot!!!!!!!

I'm not surprised you are worried.

Ireland’s contribution to the EU budget is expected to rise to €2.7 billion this year, the Department of Finance has confirmed. This is 35 per cent higher than the €2 billion paid in 2017 and more than double what the State paid five years ago.

The department’s chief economist John McCarthy also warned this figure may rise by an additional €400 million a year as a result of the hole in the EU’s budget left from the UK’s departure, albeit this is subject to negotiation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-s-contribution-to-eu-budget-expected-to-rise-to-2-7bn-this-year-1.3467403

11 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think there should be a survey now! 

It seems as if the Brit's government got Thai roots! 

A bunch of clowns. And British people were voting for them. That says a lot!!!!!!!

Meanwhile your Irish government have backed themselves into a very painful corner. So much so that they are now resorting, once again, to approach Brussels with the begging bowl.

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

It's not the Brits themselves, it's their Government - the Government was told the UK does not want to be part of the EU mess and to arrange to get out.

Must say it seems things are shaping up well for a total exit which will be good for the UK after a few hiccups and very painful to the EU (who fully deserves every bit of pain they will feel due to they own intransigence and incompetence)

A very factual post, non emotional and very well thought out after deep analysis.

Just now, Thingamabob said:

No deal Brexit is my preference. Any problems arising entirely down to May's chaotic government, the worst in living memory.

The austerity con artists can't be far away.

16 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Meanwhile your Irish government have backed themselves into a very painful corner. So much so that they are now resorting, once again, to approach Brussels with the begging bowl.

Well, at least there is some support. However who will support you? 

8 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The British government & the British people collectively begin to make the Thai government & the Thai people look almost competent.

A comment like this one takes all its value only on ThaiVisa????

16 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

No deal Brexit is my preference. Any problems arising entirely down to May's chaotic government, the worst in living memory.

I agree and a performance from TM that is impossible to defend . My main concern is even at the eleventh hour there is still uncertainty which in itself has caused massive problems for businesses .

I also have a feeling that we do not know the full facts of events which have steered TM down this dead end road . She has shown no strength against the EU and refused to back two of her Brexit secretaries .

How has she been allowed to lead the UK to potentially the biggest crisis to face the country since ww2 is in itself unbelievable . This is not a time for party politics or political brownie points . TM should be replaced now and the position filled by someone of integrity and assertiveness . Can we cross hire DT cos he does not fxxx around ? 

18 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, at least there is some support. However who will support you? 

You are assuming the begging will be positive! 

Watch out - the small fry member states like Ireland will be squeezed as the big boy member states ain't likely to make up the shortfall without consequences. UK helped Ireland more during the aftermath of 2008 crash. Not your mates on the continent or across the pond.

1 hour ago, superal said:

I agree and a performance from TM that is impossible to defend . My main concern is even at the eleventh hour there is still uncertainty which in itself has caused massive problems for businesses .

I also have a feeling that we do not know the full facts of events which have steered TM down this dead end road . She has shown no strength against the EU and refused to back two of her Brexit secretaries .

How has she been allowed to lead the UK to potentially the biggest crisis to face the country since ww2 is in itself unbelievable . This is not a time for party politics or political brownie points . TM should be replaced now and the position filled by someone of integrity and assertiveness . Can we cross hire DT cos he does not fxxx around ? 

Problem is there simply isn't a cadre of able, skilled, assertive, honest politicians to call on. 

May wasn't particularly good as Home Secretary. Why anyone thought she'd be better as PM or impartial on Brexit as she's always pushed her own agenda is a mystery.

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

IMG_20181221_234053.jpg

How do you define "elitist"?

I think we are all grateful to those who expressed an opinion 

However, it is now time for parliament to decide and have the decision ratified by referendum.

No arguement

9 minutes ago, Grouse said:

How do you define "elitist"?

I think we are all grateful to those who expressed an opinion 

However, it is now time for parliament to decide and have the decision ratified by referendum.

No arguement

How would I define "elitist", someone who thinks they are superior to others, and there are quite a few on here from the remainer crowd. Infact the nearer we get to March 29th the more intense the insults are becoming. 

This is a quote from the BBC, which I think you have more faith than many others in. Sorry about the font size, I cannot alter it.

"So is Brexit definitely happening?

The UK is due to leave the European Union on 29 March, 2019 - it's the law, regardless of whether there is a deal with the EU or not. Stopping Brexit would require a change in the law in the UK."

Just now, vogie said:

How would I define "elitist", someone who thinks they are superior to others, and there are quite a few on here from the remainer crowd. Infact the nearer we get to March 29th the more intense the insults are becoming. 

This is a quote from the BBC, which I think you have more faith than many others in. Sorry about the font size, I cannot alter it.

The UK is due to leave the European Union on 29 March, 2019 - it's the law, regardless of whether there is a deal with the EU or not. Stopping Brexit would require a change in the law in the UK."

To be fair, I suspect many people consider themselves (or at least their opinion) superior to others.

But most of us are intelligent enough to realise that this really doesn't work as an 'argument' ????!

31 minutes ago, vogie said:

And that does not affect my post in the slightest. Parliament can do what it likes including amending previous acts.

38 minutes ago, vogie said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

And that does not affect my post in the slightest. Parliament can do what it likes including amending previous acts.

So you keep saying, but you cannot keep flogging that old horse, it becomes rather tedious. You say keep saying that the referendum is advisory because it fits in with what you want, however it would appear that Parliament is not looking at it that way. Sometimes facing reality is sometimes not a bad thing.

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

So you keep saying, but you cannot keep flogging that old horse, it becomes rather tedious. You say keep saying that the referendum is advisory because it fits in with what you want, however it would appear that Parliament is not looking at it that way. Sometimes facing reality is sometimes not a bad thing.

No point in talking about having another referendum either.................. let's just leave it to the politicians; it is "up to them" anyway.

Archived