Chiang Mai US Consulate visit

FolkGuitar

It was time to renew my passport again... seems to come along sooner and sooner these days.

Anyway, I made an appointment on-line for 9:30, downloaded the application form, filled it out and printed it out, got pictures taken at PhotoBug on Chiang Puak Rd. (By the way, their passport photo setup is brilliant! They have a sheet with the requirements for most major countries, 6 photos for 150 baht.)  I arrived at 9:25 with empty pockets so going through security took no time at all, took a queue number, and sat down to wait... for 10 minutes when my number was called. Handed in my passport and paperwork, paid 3,700 baht (instead of the 6000 it said on the website) and was told to go back and sit until my number was called again.  This wait was a bit longer, but just a bit, and my number was called again. I went in, received my receipt AND my old passport back (despite what the web site said about them keeping it,) and left.  All in all, a very quick easy process.  The website also said I could get my passport by mail if I bought a special envelop at any of 6 listed post offices. I tried four of them and they had no clue what I was asking for, so I said the hell with it. Just as easy to go back to the consulate as to try another two post offices.

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

What a pain in the butt. ????

Actually, quite the opposite. I didn't have to wake up at zero dark thirty and sit on a stool for several hours. My appointment was for 9:30, I got there at 9:25 and was seen 10 minutes later. Comfortable chairs, clean toilets, and English language TV program to watch while waiting. No... not bad at all!

• Like 2

Renewed my passport there a few years ago, it was ready for pick up in just over a week. Went back into the consulate and within 10 minutes I had my new passport and letter of request that Thai immigration transfer their Visa to my new passport. They required that I bring in my old passport so they can cancel it. So nice having the U.S. Consulate here in CM. 

Edited by prism
typo
  • Like 2

Actually, quite the opposite. I didn't have to wake up at zero dark thirty and sit on a stool for several hours. My appointment was for 9:30, I got there at 9:25 and was seen 10 minutes later. Comfortable chairs, clean toilets, and English language TV program to watch while waiting. No... not bad at all!

Of course. But a bit hard to watch some of that TV!

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app