Biometric passports needed to stop foreign pickpockets preying on tourists

webfact

Biometric passports needed to stop foreign pickpockets preying on tourists

2pm.jpg

Thai Rath columnist "Plueng Payak" called on the authorities to press for biometric passports to stop foreign pickpockets stealing from tourists. 

Gangs and individuals preying on tourists in busy areas often return to Thailand under new names and surnames, said the columnist, to just steal again. 

It was a big problem for the police despite the efforts of immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn who was credited with many recent busts. 

The columnist mentioned a recent case of a British tourist who was followed on the BTS by an Algerian thief who stole more than 100,000 in sterling from the tourist at Mo Chit. He then used stolen credit cards to buy goods. 

He admitted to many such thefts.

Suracahate had instructed his senior deputies to solve the problem but was facing a battle as the thieves kept changing their names and modus operandi. 

However, they credited the man known as "Big Joke" as smashing pickpocket gangs from Mongolia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia.

The thieves invariably target tourists who are vulnerable and often don't report crimes. They might have difficulty in communication in a foreign land. 

But the thefts are problematical for the tourist industry and the image of Thailand. They lead to increased insurance premiums and bad press. 

Biometric passports was the way to go in the future to give the authorities a helping hand in the fight against this kind of crime, he said. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-05

I have been approached 5 times by a gang who came with a story of a daughter going to be a nurse in Europe but mum was so nervous about that, if i would have a chat with mum so she could see that foreigners were good people as well.

Then they tried (i didn't go in) to get me into a house, feed me drugs and make me gamble on a cardgame. 

I have reported this gang to the receptionists at several malls where they hang out but those girls even can't speak english.

My wife told me to stop reporting them because they are protected by police.

I have even seen a great documentary shot with hidden camera where they film totally how this gang operates, including the spiked drink the victim has to drink.

Never read of them being arrested but they did this for several years in row. They were Thai/Malay/Phillipino......be carefull out there.

• Thanks 1

Sarcasm alert on.

Of course! How could we not have seen it before? Give foreigners bio-metric passports and they will all immediately become good upstanding and honest, law abiding citizens. Now all we need to do is to create something similar for Thai people, to help them walk such a straight road themselves, and all crime will be instantly solved!

Sarcasm alert off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The columnist mentioned a recent case of a British tourist who was followed on the BTS by an Algerian thief who stole more than 100,000 in sterling

I’m assuming they mean “100,000 baht, in sterling”.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I might be a bit slow today but can someone explain how having biometric passports can prevent pickpockets preying on tourists?

This is the important part of the process.

I understand what they are saying but, as usual, their thinking is flawed.

23 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I might be a bit slow today but can someone explain how having biometric passports can prevent pickpockets preying on tourists?

This is the important part of the process.

It won't prevent it, but I think it's because it has fingerprint and other details on it.

I'm assuming it meant that if someone's been arrested here before, if they returned to Thailand with a new passport/new name, they'll still have the same biometric info on there, so they in theory can be linked to previous IDs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Whats with the white uniform?

Now i can stand out from the crowd, everybody needs to know....i am the man.

He's the same as officials in many countries he starts the day with one of several possible uniforms linked to the main internal activity of the day.

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

He's the same as officials in many countries he starts the day with one of several possible uniforms linked to the main internal activity of the day.

He is not wearing the correct uniform for any activity.

When wearing the white uniform, which is worn on high days and holidays it is white jacket/ white trousers

Never white shirt and black belt, that is his own creation to make himself look different.

Edited by colinneil

6 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is a bit of a non-starter. There is no way Thailand can force another nation to adopt a particular type of passport. What they can do however, is have biometric readers such as fingerprint scanners at immigration. Some other countries already do this.

They can and should ban tourists who don't have biometric passports, whatever country. Thailand should also demand list of criminals from major countries this would keep out much of the trash. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is a bit of a non-starter. There is no way Thailand can force another nation to adopt a particular type of passport. What they can do however, is have biometric readers such as fingerprint scanners at immigration. Some other countries already do this.

I agree, many  country around Thailand use fingerprints readers.  Even if the fingerprints are not in the biometric passport, Immigration have a records on them and if someone else use the passport  they can investigate this person. Same if the person change his or her name and come back, They will know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Katipo said:

I have a brand new UK Passport issued in July 2018. Does it have biometrics on the chip? Rubbish, I never had my fingerprints or iris scan EVER taken in my life.