Gold purchase in Thailand

7 hours ago, icare999 said:

forget it just go to a gold shop its fine stop being paranoid its fine 

I would not buy gold in a shop...the fake gold bars in the market are so perfect that a normal person will not be able to distinguish between both...

17 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

I would not buy gold in a shop...the fake gold bars in the market are so perfect that a normal person will not be able to distinguish between both...

I guess you have never purchased gold at a gold shop.  You can also sell gold bars to a gold shop.  Do you think they buy fake gold?  See if you can buy a fake one.  Then take it to a gold shop and sell it for cash.  Nice profit for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess you have never purchased gold at a gold shop.  You can also sell gold bars to a gold shop.  Do you think they buy fake gold?  See if you can buy a fake one.  Then take it to a gold shop and sell it for cash.  Nice profit for you.

If Alibaba and Amazon sell fake gold bars worldwide why not in Thailand? 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The density of lead is 11.4 g/cc. The density of gold is 19.3 g/cc. Unless the fake bar is uranium metal, any gold shop can pick the difference. Established operations in the shopping malls are not fly-by-night.

I am wondering about your density, however. Does light bend around you?

whats the density of tungsten, the ACTUAL  metal they use for fake/cored bars?

oh look....  its 19.3g/cm3

does light bend around you, too?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

My question is whether a foreigner is eligible to buy gold bars in the Thai banking system... and not in a gold shop....? is my question not clear to the readers?

8 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

Gold has a Mohs hardness of 3. Tungsten has a Mohs hardness of 7.5. No, I don't think it does, smart###e.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

My question is whether a foreigner is eligible to buy gold bars in the Thai banking system... and not in a gold shop....? is my question not clear to the readers?

@GeKoScmy answer was to lacessits post, was that not clear?

@Lacessitand the fake/cored bars are real gold wrapped around tungsten cores, meaning your hardness test is pointless, dumb@$$

e2a - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tungsten+cored+gold+bars

Edited by edgarfriendly
google is tough

1 minute ago, edgarfriendly said:

@GeKoScmy answer was to lacessits post, was that not clear?

@Lacessitand the fake/cored bars are real gold wrapped around tungsten cores, meaning your hardness test is pointless, dumb@$$

Mohs is not the only  hardness test. I was using that as an example. Have you ever done a Rockwell C? Permit me to doubt a fake bar would deceive it.

In answer to the OP, I have never tried to buy bullion at a Thai bank. I should imagine a fair-sized markup.

I have bought and sold gold in Thailand from and to the gold shops for ten years now. Never had a problem.

Having said that, gold from the shops would be discounted outside Thailand, as it is only 96.5%. 99.99% is tradeable anywhere.