Are we still offended by the F word

Justgrazing

As an engineer old enough to have come through an exclusively male system (RN then the rail industry) the use of profanities was normal, even expected (the odd female who slipped through swore as much as the lads).

Fast forwards x0 odd years and I'm in a much more cultured environment, with lots of ladies (as engineers as well as office dollies) so the language has to tone down, lots of use of "flip" and "carp" (or even "fish"), even "sugar" comes out.

In a few years these words will be considered as profanities and the subject of this thread will be just another word.

As a northerner, if people are offended by the F word, I simply replace it with "Twot" with an "A" not an "O". Doesn't offend our American cousins as most of them don't know what it means.

Edited by Spidey
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, vogie said:

The only time I swear is when I hit my thumb with an hammer, then I can be heard from miles around, but no, never swear. I just can't understand why people need to use 4 or 5 expletives in one sentence.

It's quite simple, as my mother said, "swearing is the resort of the badly educated" they are just so poorly, badly or un, educated that they don't have the vocabulary to invite you to the wedding of their parents, then to "go forth and multiply"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TPUBON said:

I guess I'm old fashion to. I used the word many times but usually only when very frustrated with something I was doing. Especially when the wrench slips and bang my knuckles, but never use it in mixed company. I felt it was disrespectful to women. That's probably "old fashion" also.

No, you are not "old fashioned" you are showing respect to other people, which is a dying trait unfortunately. The potty mouths that use this language cannot respect themselves.????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grollies said:

You're old-fashioned.

Nothing to do with old fashioned. I swear a lot but only with myself, hoping no-one else can hear me. I have never sworn in the company of women and children or in any other social group. Call it respect and dignity.

Am I offended when in the company of others consistently swearing? Not offended, but not impressed and accept they are not my kind of person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

The same people who are offended probably tune into their favorite TV shows where they are inundated by the same language and they don't bat an eyelash. 

If you are offended by language on the tv, you have the option of turning it off, if someone is sat next to you blasting out foul and profane language out like a rickety Thai boom box, it is a little more difficult, but still possible.

It really shouldn't be an offensive word anymore.  My friends and I use it all the time, no big deal.  Heck, you hear 12 yr olds using it on the playground.  You see it on t-shirts.  And obviously, you hear it in the movie theaters.  But it's a western sensibilities thing.  In fact, there are certain other words related to race that are much more offensive.  And the censors don't seem to be too concerned about that...relatively speaking.  Puritans have got it all wrong.  

• Like 1

I find it amusing that many English still think "bloody" is a profane word, not to be spoken in public (e.g., bloody nuisance).

It seems foolish to me that it's considered profane to say words like p...y and c..k, but OK to say vagina and penis. 

16 hours ago, vogie said:

The only time I swear is when I hit my thumb with an hammer, then I can be heard from miles around, but no, never swear. I just can't understand why people need to use 4 or 5 expletives in one sentence.

I find that not using a hammer results in a 100% reduction in those injuries.

<deleted> no.

I do not understand why so many people get upset over the word. It's juicy and conveys so much. Very powerful. Perhaps those who protest are afraid of  the power it presents; of the delicious, delightful fileting of precious sensibilities.  To them;  F off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1