New passport, new driving license?

dode57k

Hello, I will need to renew my passport before my two year temporary Thai driving license runs out. As my new passport will have a different number to that on my driving license will I need to exchange the license for another and if so can someone please tell me the process?

Nothing to worry about. You will always need to renew one or the other at some point. When changing your drivers' license next time they will get it right. Nothing that says a drivers license and the passport needs to be the same number. You can still keep the old license together with the new. Same for the passport.

• Like 1

I renew my licence this year, but got a new passport last year with a new number. I never bothered to change it on my driver's licence and never had a problem. I will change it on the next renewal in July. 

On another point, if I renew a day after it expires, will I get almost another year on the new 5-year licence (to make it 6 years less one day)?

2 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

Nothing to worry about. You will always need to renew one or the other at some point. When changing your drivers' license next time they will get it right. Nothing that says a drivers license and the passport needs to be the same number. You can still keep the old license together with the new. Same for the passport.

Thanks

I got a new passport and went to the transport office and changed my drivers licenses for car and motorbike.  Like many things in Thailand it may not be an issue but why expose yourself to any potential problems which could arise if something happens and your documents do not agree.  As mentioned earlier you should advise your bank of the new passport and if using a DL for identification at the bank they would not match in the future.

The change process was easy and as I recall it only involved bringing the cancelled passport and new passport with copies of each for their retention.  They do some paperwork, you pay a fee and than have our picture taken and new ones issued.

A question for those who did not change/update.  When you went to renew your drivers license did you need to old and new passports at that time to document the passport change with renewal? 

If the OP foresees anything in the next two years that may require secondary proof of ID beyond the passport such as getting car finance or some other significant purchase, then it's would be a good idea to get the DL updated so it all matches. Otherwise it can be updated when the DL is renewed.

But a very good point has been made about updating the passport information on file with the bank. As most banks have moved away from the arcane requirement for new passbooks or replacement ATM cards to be issued only at the branch hosting the account, if the passport information on file doesn't match what's being presented as ID at a branch 'up country', then they may be unable to assist.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

I renew my licence this year, but got a new passport last year with a new number. I never bothered to change it on my driver's licence and never had a problem. I will change it on the next renewal in July. 

On another point, if I renew a day after it expires, will I get almost another year on the new 5-year licence (to make it 6 years less one day)?

I do not know the consequences of allowing a licence to expire here, there maybe a grace period, or may not, but one interesting point ( for myself anyway ) that I would like to share if I may, was that I went to renew my 2 year license for a five year one in early January this year. My Birthday is near the end of August. When I looked at the expiry date it was my birth date, so my 5 year licence is actually 5 years and 8 months.....my Wife renewed hers at the same time, and same thing. Her Birthday is mid June, and that is when her license expires, 5 years and 6 months . :smile:

21 minutes ago, Qman said:

A question for those who did not change/update.  When you went to renew your drivers license did you need to old and new passports at that time to document the passport change with renewal?

I had to update my Thai DL when arranging car finance (secondary ID) and the only things I gave the license shop was the 'old' DL and the new passport. Took 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

But a very good point has been made about updating the passport information on file with the bank. As most banks have moved away from the arcane requirement for new passbooks or replacement ATM cards to be issued only at the branch hosting the account, if the passport information on file doesn't match what's being presented as ID at a branch 'up country', then they may be unable to assist. 

I opened my bank account at Krungsri in Bangkok a few years ago. Last year i withdrew several hundred thousand from this account at a Krungsri branch upcountry and presented the bank book and a new passport (never had the number updated), was no problem.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dode57k said:

As my new passport will have a different number to that on my driving license will I need to exchange the license for another and if so can someone please tell me the process?

Yes.

You'll need to go to the Land Office with your new passport, a signed photo copy of the passport, your Drivers License, and proof of address (Yellow Book or letter from Immigration). Best is to check with your local Land Office exactly what they require, but normally is common for all provinces, and if they only renew on certain days/times.

If the paperwork is in order it will take about 30 minutes and cost you around 200 baht to get a new DL.

Remember to change it everywhere you are registered with your passport number, i.e. banks, network access, loyalty cards (you might be able to use benefit points for cash, if you show ID with another number than registered), etc.

????

All these Questions , why?, when banks, IM, driving licence office all have there  own set  of rules, for what its worth i renewed  my driving licence 3 days after my birthday and received almost 6 years but with all the new regulations on  visa requirements i may only need a 6 month licence !! 

Edited by Almer
Soell check

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes.

You'll need to go to the Land Office with your new passport, a signed photo copy of the passport, your Drivers License, and proof of address (Yellow Book or letter from Immigration). Best is to check with your local Land Office exactly what they require, but normally is common for all provinces, and if they only renew on certain days/times.

If the paperwork is in order it will take about 30 minutes and cost you around 200 baht to get a new DL.

Remember to change it everywhere you are registered with your passport number, i.e. banks, network access, loyalty cards (you might be able to use benefit points for cash, if you show ID with another number than registered), etc.

????

Thank you

8 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I do not know the consequences of allowing a licence to expire here, there maybe a grace period, or may not, but one interesting point ( for myself anyway ) that I would like to share if I may, was that I went to renew my 2 year license for a five year one in early January this year. My Birthday is near the end of August. When I looked at the expiry date it was my birth date, so my 5 year licence is actually 5 years and 8 months.....my Wife renewed hers at the same time, and same thing. Her Birthday is mid June, and that is when her license expires, 5 years and 6 months . :smile:

Yes, they align the renewal dates with your birthday. I'm going to check up if I can renew one day after my expiry date and get almost 6 years. 

• Like 1

New passport and new adress i wated for the renewal of the driving licence - no problem (some days after the expiry date, but only for the 5-year-ones). I had a bank book, which i didn't change anything for about 25 years - no problem. The only thing i really do immediately after getting a new passport, is a visit to the IO.

6 hours ago, DavisH said:

Yes, they align the renewal dates with your birthday. I'm going to check up if I can renew one day after my expiry date and get almost 6 years. 

As long as you don't drive on the expired licence you have 1 year after it expires to renew without extra tests.

IMG_6946.PNG

Edited by sometimewoodworker