Psychiatrist offers tips for keeping one’s cool during sweltering heat

snoop1130

Psychiatrist offers tips for keeping one’s cool during sweltering heat

By The Nation

Sun_in_the_sky.jpg

With the mercury soaring across the country, people are prone to getting irritable and angry more readily than usual.

A senior psychiatrist has, therefore, offered tips for keeping a lid on things and preventing any outburst of anger.

“It is easier for people to get stressed out and furious in sweltering heat, particularly in situations when they feel they are abused or taken advantage of,” Dr Kitkavee Pono, director of the Nakhon Ratchasima psychiatric hospital, said on Monday.

He said that if anger got out of control, several problems could well arise and aggravate the situation.

From the medical point of view, for example, people with hypertension face a higher risk of stroke when becoming angry.

People should learn to control their emotions and manage their anger, Kitkavee said, offering a number of easy tips to follow. 

Firstly, they should ask themselves what they are angry about and whether those issues are really important to their lives. 

Also, they should think about the consequences of their reactions. 

Moreover, they should reflect as to whether they had ever done the same thing as those who were making them angry, and try to be more understanding.

“When you complete this process, you will forgive and move on,” the psychiatrist said.

He said other tips for coping both physically and psychologically in the sweltering heat included drinking 2.5 litres of water each day, and avoiding alcohol, sweetened and caffeinated drinks. 

“Follow these tips and you will feel more relaxed,” Kitkavee added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366928

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-01

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

I guess a glass of chilled white wine on the patio breathing in the fresh air is not good for one then ???? 

Or depending on location a game of can you spot the chilled glass of white through the smoke from the forest fires and should you filter it through your mask?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Or depending on location a game of can you spot the chilled glass of white through the smoke from the forest fires.

Smoked cheese "au natural" would be a pleasant accompaniment with the Chablis, perfect after a day of delightful arson!  ????

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Firstly, they should ask themselves what they are angry about and whether those issues are really important to their lives. 

Also, they should think about the consequences of their reactions

Consequences? What, like paying a small fine and giving a wai. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Or depending on location a game of can you spot the chilled glass of white through the smoke from the forest fires and should you filter it through your mask?

With my invention you can drink your wine in clean air ANYWHERE.

I took a basball cap, made a hole in the frontside, put a pc-fan on the hole, covered it with a N95 mask and let it run on a battery.

Works well and is so simple that i even didn't want to post it here because some somchai will start selling them and claim that it's his idea...but even you can make one...

Even better would be one with a larger filter (filtrete) and a small solarpanel on top....

I'm too lazy to make a pic of it.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

With my invention you can drink your wine in clean air ANYWHERE.

I took a basball cap, made a hole in the frontside, put a pc-fan on the hole, covered it with a N95 mask and let it run on a battery.

Works well and is so simple that i even didn't want to post it here because some somchai will start selling them and claim that it's his idea...but even you can make one...

Even better would be one with a larger filter (filtrete) and a small solarpanel on top....

I'm too lazy to make a pic of it.

I just filter everything through a cigarette.

Re' the trick-cyclist's suggestion to 'think why they are getting angry' I will not reply directly to that point.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Smoked cheese "au natural" would be a pleasant accompaniment with the Chablis, perfect after a day of delightful arson!  ????

Valid point on the arson. Seems lately that in many aspects there is a lot of 'arson about' going on.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“It is easier for people to get stressed out and furious in sweltering heat, particularly in situations when they feel they are abused or taken advantage of,” Dr Kitkavee Pono, director of the Nakhon Ratchasima psychiatric hospital,

so just about everyone then.

fact: criminals do not like cold weather ...that was the case that there was less crime in Canada for decades, till they started to massively import illegals and others into the country as they have a  not enough F. problem of their own population ....see what happened to most of W-Europe

As a serious side from all the side to all the snide comments, the heat is extremely dangerous for very young and older adults combined with the air pollution right now. For type 1 or type 2 insulin dependants diabetics, the extreme heat causes problems with both high and low glucose levels. Keep hydrated everyone! Cheers

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Danthai said:

As a serious side from all the side to all the snide comments, the heat is extremely dangerous for very young and older adults combined with the air pollution right now. For type 1 or type 2 insulin dependants diabetics, the extreme heat causes problems with both high and low glucose levels. Keep hydrated everyone! Cheers

And glutinous rice causes severe problems to diabetics and yet they continue to consume that with much gusto- and ignore advice in eating foods that help keep blood sugar, insulin and inflammation under control. That is the secret to handling the summer heat more comfortably along with exercise. Perhaps if they ensured their kids ate properly. maintained a healthy weight and exercised the nation might stand a chance of becoming healthy and productive

I once went to see a psychologist for stressful problems at work. When I explained what was stressing me out she said " oh, you shouldn't worry about that". I said " that's it? I'm paying you $200 an hour to just tell me I shouldn't worry?". Got better advice from my bartender.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nickstav said:

I once went to see a psychologist for stressful problems at work. When I explained what was stressing me out she said " oh, you shouldn't worry about that". I said " that's it? I'm paying you $200 an hour to just tell me I shouldn't worry?". Got better advice from my bartender.

I went to see a psychiatrist and enquired what his fee was. “$100 for three questions,” he told me. “Isn’t that a little steep?” I asked. “Yes,” said the psychiatrist. “Now, what’s your third question?”

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, isaanjohnno said:

And glutinous rice causes severe problems to diabetics and yet they continue to consume that with much gusto- and ignore advice in eating foods that help keep blood sugar, insulin and inflammation under control. That is the secret to handling the summer heat more comfortably along with exercise. Perhaps if they ensured their kids ate properly. maintained a healthy weight and exercised the nation might stand a chance of becoming healthy and productive

Folks on here will often comment on "wonderful Thai food" the basis of the comment is that it is cheap and plentiful, fact is - as you state most is not very good nutrition & not good quality, the average Thai has a woeful diet - that's all they can afford, there is little point in educating them to eat good "foods" as most simply can't afford it as they have to make payments on pick up truck and buy cheap whisky! Healthy & productive? would be acceptable as long as they are not allowed to think too much - though they seem to have that covered! :shock1:

Edited by CGW