Home internet without a contract

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

We're in CM for a year, but have been tethering from our phones for the past 6 months. We'll be here for 6 months more. 

We'd like to bump up our speeds a bit and are considering broadband or something similar. Does anyone know of any companies that offer internet packages for 6 months or less? We don't want to get stuck with a cancellation fee at the end. 

Thanks! 

Edited by davidupatterson

They may offer shorter term packages or prepay but you'll have to pay for the modem/router and installation. You can try some kind of 4G home internet service but it'll likely have data caps and won't allow bit torrents.  

3bb 5g router installation was free a couple of months back.... I do monthly payments, (150/50 749 baht) but have had 3bb for years.... I seem to recall having to pay an up front annual fee, years ago, as a farang, to prevent broken contracts, but that seems to have been dropped.

ive had no experience with true broadband.... but with exorbitant pricing for truevision, I wouldn’t use them (although I’ve read they have a better service)

any cancelation fee, if a contract is nessesary, would only be an issue if you moved from cm to another thai town.... in which case, you might even be able to transfer the account.

3 minutes ago, justin case said:

go to TRUE they have some device you plug in a SIM card and you have internet for all in the house

Its a 'D' Link and all the sim providers can provide you with a pay as you go sim for one. 

3BB I've been with for 18 mths.. Month by month, no contract, free installation (they'll look at your address on computer first to confirm) and free modem.. Just pay one month in advance.. 

I've had 50/20 VDSL for 590bht + vat = 631bht monthly unlimited.. They've now discontinued this service and their basic package at same price is 100/100 fibre.. 

Because as a farang I've already rcd a free modem, if I want to change to the new 100/100 fibre I'd have to pay 2,200bht for the new modem. If I change billing to my Thai GF she would get this new modem for free.. 

Service wise, 3BB have been absolutely fantastic.. Never an issue with downtime or reliability.. Highly recommended.. 

2 hours ago, owenm said:

3BB I've been with for 18 mths.. Month by month, no contract, free installation (they'll look at your address on computer first to confirm) and free modem.. Just pay one month in advance.. 

I've had 50/20 VDSL for 590bht + vat = 631bht monthly unlimited.. They've now discontinued this service and their basic package at same price is 100/100 fibre.. 

Because as a farang I've already rcd a free modem, if I want to change to the new 100/100 fibre I'd have to pay 2,200bht for the new modem. If I change billing to my Thai GF she would get this new modem for free.. 

Service wise, 3BB have been absolutely fantastic.. Never an issue with downtime or reliability.. Highly recommended.. 

I don't think you can get 3BB w/o a contract. They are the strictest of all of them. I had them for about 8 years at one point. Terminating the service was very difficult. As for the part about Thais getting free modems and farangs paying.........total nonsense.

I'm in CM, I have 3BB on a 30 day contract but I think that is only available to Thai nationals. I think the minimum contract for falangs is 3 months but they are cheap and reliable. The router needs to have a deposit, you get it back when you finish the contract and return the hardware...

7 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

I'm in CM, I have 3BB on a 30 day contract but I think that is only available to Thai nationals. I think the minimum contract for falangs is 3 months but they are cheap and reliable. The router needs to have a deposit, you get it back when you finish the contract and return the hardware...

How do you find these contracts? my Thai Gf always ends up with 12 month contracts (3BB branch @Computer plaza near Chang phuek gate ). Still using the ADAL package for about 700 thb, probably not very good value for money. 

First, it will depend on what companies service the building you are in... I had a 1 yr with AIS and when I left after 9 months, they were nice enough to rebate the remaining months as they had since initiated a new shorter term plan... but go to the AIS office - 3rd floor in Festival or 3BB ground floor in Kad suan Kaew and ask... 

Thanks for the help, everyone. Based on all the conflicting information, It sounds like the best thing to do is to visit a few of these places and see what they can offer me. 

FYI - We're in a stand-alone house in Hang Dong, but hopefully that won't prohibit us from being serviced by the aforementioned companies.