Dog bite Big Buddha hike Phuket (BEWARE)

topgun1

17 hours ago, trd said:
17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:
Always carry a very big stick ...

Or dog food!

How would dog food help?  Did you read the OP.  The first thing the OP knew about the dog was it had bitten his leg.  Should he then stop and get out the doggy treats?  

How would dog food help?  Did you read the OP.  The first thing the OP knew about the dog was it had bitten his leg.  Should he then stop and get out the doggy treats?  

Yeah sure! He was probably hungry right?
  • Haha 1

OP, that cost you a lot of money.  I went to my local government hospital after I was bitten a second time (did not want to take more chances of getting rabies).  

I had the anti rabies jabs over several weeks, and some antibiotics.  The cost was very cheap.  I can't remember the exact amount but the antibiotics and tetanus injection was only about 200 baht.  The anti rabies jabs did not add up to much more than 1000 baht I am sure.  

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Right, but a couple of whacks on the snout, should make the dog remember you the next time.

Yes they wil remember you, even pass it on to others..

The question stays, will they remember you as good or as bad, and act as such.

Some are in on revence, then you had met the wrong one.

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I hope you gave that dog a swift kick to the head! 
When i am approached by dogs here i tend to chase them away waving my arms and shouting, i know i prob look like a madman, but they tend to know that i am not to be messed with and that i will not take any crap from them. I think you gotta show them who's boss and they will tend to leave you alone. 

That is much better than a stick and whacking.

If a dog approach me and is in a bad manner, I will boo and hunt them till they drop themself flat on the floor. Booing and 'hunting' is what 'alphas' would do, and then they will leave you.

Whacking is a direct action, which dogs in fear do. And next time they will attack again to show who is the boss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donim said:

That is much better than a stick and whacking.

If a dog approach me and is in a bad manner, I will boo and hunt them till they drop themself flat on the floor. Booing and 'hunting' is what 'alphas' would do, and then they will leave you.

Whacking is a direct action, which dogs in fear do. And next time they will attack again to show who is the boss.

No they won't.

• Sad 1

What about using a pepper spray, this will for sure make'em remember, and stay away from you, you could also carry a 9mm full clipped, but that could make you a lot of trouble (and a lot of dead dogs), so go for the pepper spray

3 hours ago, KC 71 said:

My friend trains pitbulls ,you have to remember they are bred to take down a bull,much the same as rodeshian ridgebacks are bred to take lions down,and the Tibetan Mastif- thats a whole new ballgame !emoji846.png

And the poodle was a (duck) hunting dog before breeders dolled them.

Fast as a whippet, easy outrunning my lab.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

But you don't need to use the stick. Just the threat usually works.

Correct, and if you don't have one at the time even the action of pretending to bend down and pick something up usually works as well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, madmitch said:

Did this happen on the hike up from Karon or on the regular road?

On the regular road. It happened at about 9:00 am, on the hike back down. The dog was not visible, it was a clear road ahead. I guess it was laying behind a wall.

Dog bite dog.jpeg

On 4/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, KiChakayan said:

And doesn't anyone go out there to shoot them?

I don't think so, you often see them lay in the middle of the road obstructing traffic on the Big Buddha hill. It's actually very intimidating. No signage, warning etc that these dogs bite. I still can't believe it, as it happened on route from one of the main, if not the main tourist attraction in Phuket.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:16 AM, GarryP said:

Off topic but to answer your comment, they are unable to control stray dog populations here because they are unwilling to euthanize and that is because of their religious or superstitious beliefs.   

I'll agree with you on that! But I think that their reluctance or unwillingness to sterilize dogs has a bigger part than their unwillingness to euthanize them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had to spend the night alone on a beach one night(was lost)
Nxt day i woke up next to a stray dog
He got up and walked slowly off
I followed him and he took me home !
True story [emoji240][emoji173]️

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, KC 71 said:

I had to spend the night alone on a beach one night(was lost)
Nxt day i woke up next to a stray dog
He got up and walked slowly off
I followed him and he took me home !
True story emoji240.pngemoji173.png

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That happens to me all the time!