Into the maw of intelligence gathering

webfact

Into the maw of intelligence gathering

By The Nation

images.jpg

New law broadening National Intelligence Agency’s powers will deepen distrust and could further hamper an electoral resolution

Legislation recently passed gives Thailand’s spy agency the power to use “any methods” to obtain information in the interest of national stability. From now on, the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) “may use any methods, including electronic, telecommunications or science equipment, to gain information or documents” that may affect the nation’s security, in the words of the bill. It decrees that the prime minister must be informed of any agency refusing to turn over information. 

It comes as no surprise that such legislation was pushed through by the current military-led government of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the coup engineer who is trying to stay on at Government House as a civilian leader. Technically, that shouldn’t be difficult, given that the ground rules for the March election were written under his watch. But, politically, Prayut’s return won’t be smooth sailing.

The cybersecurity law approved earlier this year raised concerns about the potential abuse of power. It could after all be used as another weapon to silence critics of the government and the military. The government calls it a weapon against the spread of online lies and misinformation, which the government gets to define for society. Consider Prayut’s own words, not long ago, when he denounced social media as platforms for “incorrect thinking”.

It’s likely that, in his view, “incorrect thinking” could apply to any complaints about election irregularities – from bungled vote counts to the 2.1 million invalidated ballots.

The law, which consists of 17 articles designed to increase the NIA’s power, came before the rubberstamp parliament in early February and slipped through with little public debate. It replaced the 1985 Intelligence Law, which in its own text is dismissed as being no longer “relevant to the security threat and technology that has changed”.

For a country that is supposed to be pursuing open and democratic rule, which surely ought to include an end to repressive government, this latest legislation only hampers the post-election transition. It adds to an environment that is not conducive to frank and honest debate. Rights groups and the private sector were correct to raise concerns about breaches of individual privacy. The authorities were suddenly allowed to seize any computer or connected device without a court warrant by which their actions might be  justified.

In an increasingly open society, spies will have to face a higher level of judicial and legislative scrutiny and justify what they do. Because modern technology has changed the way spies go about their clandestine business, the whole nature of official oversight has to be re-evaluated. We often pay lip service to the concept of a “government of the people and for the people”, but we are far too timid when the authorities find new ways to silence our views.

Theoretically, intelligence officials collect their information and have no say in setting policy. But it is not hard to imagine a situation in which powerful people exploit an agency like the NIA for their own political or personal gain. We have seen it in other government agencies and in law enforcement, so concerns about the new legislation is not far-fetched.

In Thailand, like everywhere else, information is power. That’s why just about every security unit in the country has its own spooks. Instead of a law that the prime minister might use at his whim, we perhaps need one that protects our intelligence officials from being exploited for political  purposes.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30368593

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-30
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

I didn't "like" because it is not something to "like".

It is an accurate summary and a very credible prediction.

I believe it's pretty much inevitable.

I don't stand alone in this belief.

Edited by ukrules

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I believe it's pretty much inevitable.

I don't stand alone in this belief.

Yes. I think that the last chance to avert it was the hope that the election would produce a government broadly representative of the peoples' desire, even if handicapped by the restrictions imposed by the constitution.

That hope has been removed by the shenanigans surrounding the count and results. You are right. It will end badly.

• Like 2

The "may use any methods" sounds chilling.

Does that include enhanced interrogation?

Governments spying on the people isn't new though; the land of the free has the NSA, blighty's got GCHQ.

Perhaps, when or if they have total control, tvf might be forced to hand over our email addresses....

Then, any comment which is deemed to be "incorrect thinking" results in deportation!

50 minutes ago, JAG said:

I didn't "like" because it is not something to "like".

It is an accurate summary and a very credible prediction.

Yes, the future does not look harmonious and pacific. Some people will get VERY annoyed (only smallish groups, however). If you keep kicking, kicking, smashing, bashing and kicking someone in the face -  well ....

There is an old English saying, very relevant here: 'Even the worm will turn' ....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

that may affect the nation’s security,

Notice, not has or will but 'may'. And who gets to choose what may affect national security? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

gives Thailand’s spy agency the power to use “any methods” to obtain information in the interest of national stability.

And we all know that 'national stability' in the eyes of the NCPO and its military advocates means not changing the system. not ridding politics of the army and not allowing anything like a proper democracy to evolve. In fact a law demanding everything stays as it is. Thats outrageous.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How do you have a civil 'war' if one side has all the guns?

The thing about a civil war is that the 'side that has all the guns' splits into two or more factions, they then all have many guns each.

It's a dirty business.

It's civil in name only....

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never worried about governments reading my 'communications', it ain't that interesting.

Comparing beer and massage prices across Asian countries seems to make up most of it.

The rest is 'Line' icons, hugs, hearts, etc.

It will be Thais they go after not old foreigners

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never worried about governments reading my 'communications', it ain't that interesting.

Comparing beer and massage prices across Asian countries seems to make up most of it.

The rest is 'Line' icons, hugs, hearts, etc.

Nobody gives a crap about anyones 'line communications' or beer and massage prices, this is a serious business.

Do not underestimate the potential for what is about to happen in this country over the coming year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

This country is going backwards and will end up like Burma 20 years ago.

There will be a massive internal turmoil inside this country within the next year.

I suspect there may be a civil war at some point....

With major civil unrest, we can expect to to see the proud HiSo Thais with their overbearing nationalism, their Military mates, their Thaines, their superstition and their unfaltering belief in their entitlement.

Run for their miserable lives to get a little closer to their offshore accounts and to feel the protection offered at a cost in the land of the Farrang.

This country is going backwards and will end up like Burma 20 years ago.

There will be a massive internal turmoil inside this country within the next year.

I suspect there may be a civil war at some point....

Governments do what they do, but as my friend once said, "A gentleman at least pays for the lube."

Current regime has overplayed their hand and broken even this simple rule for all would-be despots who wish to cling to power.

They're so stupidly blatant and ham-handed in their actions that they're finally going to piss off even one of the world's most meek, docile, and politically apathetic populations.  Wow.

Edited by ramr

Intelligence gathering is in Thailand an oxymoron asa judging by what I see and hear from so-called officials in many Thai State agencies and even the ruminations of the so-called NCPO , either the intelligence is missing or in many cases not there in  the first place. Therefore begs the question these new powers are to allow those who are not intelligent to look intelligent even though they are individually and/or collectively incapable of being so .

That is what frightens me more than the snooping capability 

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Nobody gives a crap about anyones 'line communications' or beer and massage prices, this is a serious business.

Do not underestimate the potential for what is about to happen in this country over the coming year.

Different forms of martial law are likely to quell the dissidents.  I am still wonder how long large foreign companies or governments will invest or do business in Thailand.  The situation just doesn't sound good

• Like 1

The thing about a civil war is that the 'side that has all the guns' splits into two or more factions, they then all have many guns each.

It's a dirty business.

It's civil in name only....

Agreed. I can think of at least 3 factions, possibly the junta's lot the least worst. If there is instability can any of them rely on their soldiers to shoot their own brothers and countrymen?

None of them would be fighting to improve the lot of the downtrodden majority.   A majority which includes the soldiers themselves and their families and loved ones at home.

Is there any hope that murderous orders given would just be ignored?  And Generals with no armies go quiet and let the people's wishes somehow remake Thailand.