How to fly a dog from Thailand to the UK

A few years back I tried taking our small dog to the UK for just 8 weeks, Having done all the necessary veterinary requirements, and arranged the flights. However, some airlines allow small animals to be transported in the main passenger cabin, BUT UK laws insist all animals arrive in the cargo hold, which meant arranging for a cargo handler at Heathrow to collect the animal from the plane, and take it to the ARC (animal reception centre). 

But just hours before the flight, received a phone call from JAMES CARGO at Heathrow demanding 480 pounds for the service. I thought what a bunch of Crooks, when i complained about the cost, the Bitch on the phone said "well, we don't do it for free",

After that, I canceled our flights,  We are supposed to be part of the EU, and its no problem going to the rest of Europe, but the UK, had to be different (citing Rabies as an Excuse inspite of earlier veterinary tests and procedures.

On my next visit to the UK, I saw my local MP about the whole problem, and left it in his hands to see if anything could be done, but typical of UK politics I received a pathetic response " Sorry, but we cannot interfere in what Airlines carry animals",  now't to do with the problem.

I did contact JAMES CARGO for a breakdown of the cost's, and received several bogus charges, and the total still never came to more than 200 pounds. 

Moral of this story, unless money is of no importance, DON't take pet's to RIP OFF BRITAIN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CH1961 said:

If you need more dogs in UK, in my Soi here we have as many as you can afford. 

Daily pickup possible. 

No appointments needed. 

The poster has a serious question and your reply seems flippant,  moronic and does little to address his query.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

The poster has a serious question and your reply seems flippant,  moronic and does little to address his query.
Not to be pendantic ..but ..
The poster did not ask a question, but was offering an answer to an unasked question.

And I agree with you ..that response was funny .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Benmart said:

except the OP is not asking a question or seeking any advice...

Soidogs Millionaire's article on taking pets to England is indeed a use full guide on the subject. But as I was only going for a holiday, I believed that with all the right paperwork, it would not be a problem,  I knew it was was OK to fly to Europe, but was given the impression that getting into England WAS THE PROBLEM, 

I did find DEFRA's information on that matter not  helpful. 

A good vet will handle all's that's needed, and some airlines are very accomodating with the transport issues, But its just the UK politics that became stumbling block, having to use uk airport crooks to make the transfer from plane to customs and the ARC.

36 minutes ago, musicscene said:

My daughter has taken her dog many times from the USA to England and always has to fly to Paris and then drive to England. Apparently there are no restrictions on dogs in a car 

Without wishing to doubt you, I thought that was most odd so i searched and found that it's correct for dogs arriving from the EU (at present!)

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad and https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/articles/travelling-to-britain-with-your-dog/

However the second link does say "Other rules apply if more than five dogs are being taken into the country or if you are travelling from a non-EU country."

My devious mind immediately wondered if that was the spirit of the law ie if the dog arrives from Thailand into France and then travels straight to UK same day.

Seems like a loophole to me but go for it 'cos I have no doubt that you daughter's presumably well-cared-for pooch is no danger to the UK ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benmart said:

The poster was not asking a question, he is offering advice to people that would like to rake a dog to the UK. Relax for 10 seconds, then exhale slowly. 

9 hours ago, Benmart said:

The poster has a serious question

Where do you see a question? 

But sorry to be flippant and of course you can have a dog or more too ????