Just Lost 10.000 Bt at local Bangkok Bank ATM.

It happened to me once with a credit card. I withdraw the same amount at Kasikorn, 10 000 baht.

It took me 3 months to get the money back. 

I took a picture of the ATM and went to the nearest Kasikorn branch, I even have an account there. But since this was a foreign credit card they said I had to send a complaint to them and then the credit card company had to send a written statement about this , after several phone calls to both Kasikorn and Neteller (Mastercard) , I finally got my money back . 

1 minute ago, balo said:

It happened to me once with a credit card. I withdraw the same amount at Kasikorn, 10 000 baht.

It took me 3 months to get the money back. 

I took a picture of the ATM and went to the nearest Kasikorn branch, I even have an account there. But since this was a foreign credit card they said I had to send a complaint to them and then the credit card company had to send a written statement about this , after several phone calls to both Kasikorn and Neteller (Mastercard) , I finally got my money back . 

I had a similar thing happened to me when 20,000 baht was withdrawn on my NZ ASB bank Visa here, from an ATM in the town centre.

I got in touch with my bank in NZ, told them the story, showed them a pic I had taken of the ATM which clearly showed a piece of double sided sticky tape in the top left-hand corner (which is often used by skimmers to hold the little button camera) and they deposited the equivalent money in my New Zealand bank within a couple of days.

Luckily I didn't have to deal with a bank here, because most of the dealings I've had with them have been unsatisfactory and most frustrating.

22 hours ago, Pib said:

Yesterday a Bangkok Bank ibanking transfer of almost Bt11K failed to process properly. Money deducted from my account but transfer failed as noted in the ibanking log. I also confirmed the recipient with a Kbank acct didn't receive the funds.

Called the problem into Bangkok Bank...got a case number issued. Bangkok Bank rep also said yesterday their ibanking was having problems. Rep said they will contact me by 7pm today/Saturday with an update...I'm not holding my breath. Money still not credited back to my acct as of this post but it's been less than 24 hrs since reporting the problem.

Expect I'll be visiting my home branch Monday to discuss the failed transfer...ensure correction is being worked.

May 4th - 6th is the coronation of King Vajiralongkorn.

All Thai banks and government offices are closed until Tuesday 7th May.

23 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I had a similar experience a few years ago, 20 000B seem to be lost. I went to the bank and was told that "remote" machines sometimes run out of money????, but it'll correct itself. And it did. After that, I always do my withdrawals in ATMs inside a bank.

Same for me. The bank was actually open and I reported it, and they said the money would show as a debit and then be credited back. It was, but I don't remember how long it took. Worrying, but ultimately not a problem.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

I went to the bank and was told that "remote" machines sometimes run out of money

I gather that dodgy wireless connections between these machines and bank servers can also result in cash which has been requested not being coughed up.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 12:57 PM, Denim said:

On the subject, if you can read Thai , there is usually a notice on the screen that says in Thai   ' Be careful when entering your number as there are gangs of foreigners who will steal your number '

Or words to that effect. Find it amusing that the implication is that Thais don't also do this.

I read Thai very well, 42 years in. I have never seen any such nonsense.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Foreigners are guilty of all the world's transgressions. After living here awhile you learn that. We are very bad people. 

Maybe foreigners ( South American, Eastern Europeans ) are more skillful in separating your money from the ATM .It takes skill to obtain the PIN numbers and clone the ATM cards . Skills that are found lacking in Thais. 

I was in Jakarta using a K-Bank card in a local ATM - same thing, got an sms saying money withdrawn, but no cash.

Phoned my bank, they asked me to send a photo of the ATM plus details of location, and said they will check with the Indonesian bank, but it can take 2 months.

Sure enough, almost 2 months to the day the money was credited back.

I don't trust ATM's here. I would only use them in an emergency. I use a savings passbook and withdraw cash inside the bank.

Quite some years ago, an ATM outside a BB branch swallowed my card. The woman I got out of the bank to retrieve it acted as if I was a major inconvenience, might have been on her lunch break. Lesson learned, I haven't used an ATM since.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Having had 2 cards eaten by ATM's I never use them if it can be avoided. Last card kept by an ATM was at my own branch. Went in and was actually told no they could not get it back, even though the machines was right outside. Went home Mrs rang up and said she had lost her card in the machine, they told her to come in and they would retrieve it. When they asked for the name and she gave them mine they said no, security risk and had to buy another card.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

It's funny how computer glitches always result in you not getting your money, instead of it spewing out millions of baht!

Just out of interest - when you guys have called your Thai bank are you speaking in Thai or English?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It's funny how computer glitches always result in you not getting your money, instead of it spewing out millions of baht!

Just out of interest - when you guys have called your Thai bank are you speaking in Thai or English?

Fluent english support available with Kasikornbank, happened to me twice in Bangkok and once it took a week and the other time 2 days (to reverse).
I generally make multiple withdrawals when needing quite a lot, in case it doesn't work not losing all of it temporary.

Edited by tabarin

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't trust ATM's here. I would only use them in an emergency. I use a savings passbook and withdraw cash inside the bank.

Quite some years ago, an ATM outside a BB branch swallowed my card. The woman I got out of the bank to retrieve it acted as if I was a major inconvenience, might have been on her lunch break. Lesson learned, I haven't used an ATM since.

Wow that sounds so sad to me. The banks in Thailand are great compared to any other country I know in so many ways, there are also tons of proper and safe located modern ATM's everywhere in Thailand. You must be paranoia or simply not smart by using multiple accounts and dividing cash.

Just to name two super things about banks here, realtime 24/7 inter banking and channel payments + losing your card while on holiday in the deep south, visit a random branch and walking out with a new card within 1 hour later. On a sunday. And yes I always have my bank book and passport with me (which was required).

The chance of getting issues and being skimmed with any ATM in Thailand is much lower than it is in Europe.
Skimmers seem scarce as the punishments are not worth it here and their visa access is harder too.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tabarin said:

Wow that sounds so sad to me. The banks in Thailand are great compared to any other country I know in so many ways, there are also tons of proper and safe located modern ATM's everywhere in Thailand. You must be paranoia or simply not smart by using multiple accounts and dividing cash.

Just to name two super things about banks here, realtime 24/7 inter banking and channel payments + losing your card while on holiday in the deep south, visit a random branch and walking out with a new card within 1 hour later. On a sunday. And yes I always have my bank book and passport with me (which was required).

The chance of getting issues and being skimmed with any ATM in Thailand is much lower than it is in Europe.
Skimmers seem scarce as the punishments are not worth it here and their visa access is harder too.

You're recounting how you've had problems twice in Bangkok with an ATM, one which took a week to correct? You make multiple withdrawals, each attracting an ATM fee? And you're telling me I'm not smart? Wow indeed.

I have multiple accounts. Passbook plus passport plus signature is about as fraud-proof as one can get in Thailand. Have never had a problem. Every so often, there's an account on TV of a card being skimmed. An unprotected card with today's technology can be cloned as a stranger walks past you in a shopping mall.

The logic of carrying your passbook and passport in case you need to replace a lost card escapes me.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:05 PM, possum1931 said:

I have got the slip, but it is Saturday and the banks are closed, thanks for the good wishes.

you don't have to go to the bank. You can call the number printed on the back of your ATM card. Same happened to me in Bali using a Thai atm. It took me a couple of days till I could check my balance and realize my account was changed (the notice on the atm machine was in Indonesian when no money came out of it, and every attempt after that showed insufficient funds...) another day or 2 till I got back to Thailand and then I called the bank. They said it will take 5 weeks to sort it out but my account was credited for the full amount (including the 100 thb fee) in less than 5 weeks

• Like 2

I had a similar experience about three months ago. I tried to withdraw 25,000 from a Bangkok bank ATM. I put my card in entered my pin and the amount to withdraw then there was a power cut, power was restored after a few minutes and my card came out but no money. I checked my account and it showed the transaction complete and the money had gone from my account.

It was a Saturday so I rang their 24 hour help line, which took a long time to get through and pressed the English spoken option. I explained the situation, the lady was very helpful and said it could not be checked until Monday morning. The money was back in my account by Monday lunchtime.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tabarin said:

Banks in Thailand great? sure they look nice and modern but that's about it. One cheated me on a transfer fee when it had already been paid and also hung onto a very large transfer until the rate went down. I should have had the rate when they received the money, lost 40k baht. No amount of arguing or going to head office did any good, the so called consumer protection office at CW never even replied. Current Bank started debiting a few baht a month for sms notification, it never worked and I never requested it, took months to get them to stop, I would even trust an ATM over the dummies inside most of the Banks, any problems and it's often like talking to a brick wall. Luckily at my branch there is one young man who is actually on the ball, the women all act like it's their first day at work,

Edited by Orton Rd

23 hours ago, Essex Reject said:

So you will no doubt have to inconvenience yourself (as the vast majority of atm's are outside) just because you had ONE bad experience which is very unlikely to happen again? Is this a rule by which you live your life, one mistake and that's your lot, no second chances?

You ever had ATM that freeze up and not give card back?

its a worse enough pain in the aสส in your own country but even worse here.

I do same exactly as the poster you replied to.

It doesnt take a great effort to withdraw big amounts from the branch ATM in office hours, so you have staff there who can sort it out right away if it goes wrong.

surely its easier than getting caught out?

Being aware and learn these small tips with some simple planning can save a lot of problem here.

The people who scorn and say its to much trouble are the ones walking around in daze with brain in nuetral gear that do actually get scammed!

7 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

You ever had ATM that freeze up and not give card back?

its a worse enough pain in the aสส in your own country but even worse here.

I do same exactly as the poster you replied to.

It doesnt take a great effort to withdraw big amounts from the branch ATM in office hours, so you have staff there who can sort it out right away if it goes wrong.

surely its easier than getting caught out?

Being aware and learn these small tips with some simple planning can save a lot of problem here.

The people who scorn and say its to much trouble are the ones walking around in daze with brain in nuetral gear that do actually get scammed!

You're a true inspiration ting tong. Thank you for the wisdom.

• Haha 1

Had the same problem a few times over the years. A phone call to the number on the back of the card and it’s all credited back within the next couple of days. I didn’t even bother calling the last time and it was automatically re-credited the next working day.

Just to clarify that the quick re-credits were when using a Bangkok Bank card in a Bangkok Card machine. Once I used a kasikorn card in a Krungsri machine which didn’t spew out any cash but took it out my account. This took a week to sort out as kasikorn had to liaise with Krungsri. Kasikorn said that if it had been one of their machines it would have been re-credited by the next day. Now, when possible, I always use the same bank card with the same bank machine.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 12:59 PM, ThaiBunny said:

I had a similar experience several years ago using a non-Thai ATM card in a Thai ATM. I reported it to my bank and they had in sorted in a short period of time. The Thai bank agreed there was a discrepancy on the day between cash in the machine and cash supposedly withdrawn equal to the amount I reported

The opposite happened to me. I tried to draw 5000 baht and it never came out. I reported it within 10 minutes to a big branch. No matter how much I argued with them they insisted I had, had the money, so my loss.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:55 PM, johng said:

Ohh dear....you should note down the ATM machine number and take the slip to the nearest bank branch for that ATM..tell them what happened...they can get the money in the ATM counted to see if it coincides with what should be in there...good luck.

You should do as crossy and johng say and  be  certain to bring your passport to the bank when you report the ATM mistake.     The burden of proof mau fall on your shoulders.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You're recounting how you've had problems twice in Bangkok with an ATM, one which took a week to correct? You make multiple withdrawals, each attracting an ATM fee? And you're telling me I'm not smart? Wow indeed.

I have multiple accounts. Passbook plus passport plus signature is about as fraud-proof as one can get in Thailand. Have never had a problem. Every so often, there's an account on TV of a card being skimmed. An unprotected card with today's technology can be cloned as a stranger walks past you in a shopping mall.

The logic of carrying your passbook and passport in case you need to replace a lost card escapes me.

Twice based on withdrawing every other day in 7 years, yes that is all, and it was both times at Asoke where it is the busiest. On large withdrawals I split 100K in 3 withdrawals of 30k and 40k, anything I would do also back home. I do not pay fees for this either, I have an account in the branch in BKK and CM to not pay fees which is linked in mobile banking and also functions as safeguard by carrying 1 card at the time.

Have had issues with my Dutch account much more times, once even at holiday where they suspected an ATM abused for skimming, that I used a month earlier, in Holland, and for that reason just blocked my bank card without notice to only send a new one a week later, while I was in Thailand.
Not to mention all the delays on incoming transfers, costs and more.

Edited by tabarin

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Banks in Thailand great? sure they look nice and modern but that's about it. One cheated me on a transfer fee when it had already been paid and also hung onto a very large transfer until the rate went down. I should have had the rate when they received the money, lost 40k baht. No amount of arguing or going to head office did any good, the so called consumer protection office at CW never even replied. Current Bank started debiting a few baht a month for sms notification, it never worked and I never requested it, took months to get them to stop, I would even trust an ATM over the dummies inside most of the Banks, any problems and it's often like talking to a brick wall. Luckily at my branch there is one young man who is actually on the ball, the women all act like it's their first day at work,

If you simply talked with the bank upfront of that large transfer, you could have made a deal to lock the exchange rate and avoided this problem. Lack of knowledge, nothing to blame the bank about if you are taking the risk of a variable exchange rate over the course of X working days. There is always a step in between of international transfers with Thai banks (and most other countries their banks too). 

All other issues you mention are unknown to me as well, I pay a yearly price of like 500 baht for my card and that is about it (it even includes a tiny life insurance of like 200K baht that covers a cremation. Such thing would cost me 500 baht monthly in holland without a bank lol).

From K Banking app I can turn on and off any notifications, SMS, limits and whatever else is needed. I can even pay all my bills and utilities with it easily, do prompt pay, top up my mobile phone credit, do 123 payments for tickets and online shopping by scanning QR codes. 

To me that is super modern compared to Europe.
Oh and not to forget about that scary for someone to read your card remotely, a simple RIFD wallet solves it and you can disable wireless payments in the app.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1