Thai army to buy 37 US-made armored cars

webfact

17 hours ago, webfact said:

deployed at the 11th Light Infantry Division based in Thailand’s eastern province of Chachoengsao.

A lot of the explosives, weapons & grenades are often "found" in this province....

A reknowned working class area with many workers from ahem, NE provinces...

2 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Not sure why they didn't buy them from the Canadian manufacturer ?

Other than the usual talk of envelopes and such, they might have scored a better deal purchasing these via the US. Total number of vehicles to be supplied is 60 (the remaining 23 labeled as "free", but probably sold under one or the other aid program options). Vehicles will be refurbished, delivery times quicker and less strings attached to the deal.

I thought there was a recent piece on Thai built armoured vehicles that would be rather cheaper than these US beasties.

I know which one I would rather be sitting in if the sh#t hit the fan.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The only way to devalue the Thai Baht is to spend the foreign currency account. To make a significant dent they should up the order to 370 US made armored cars from the 37. A couple of squadrons on F35's would be even better. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Whilst I understand that military forces around the world need to be in a state of readiness, I would like to point out that the Stryker is a substantial armoured vehicle designed for battlefield operations.

I am confident that this is yet another in a string of military hardware purchases that will never be used or need to be used to even a fraction of its potential. They will be left to rot along with the submarines and the aircraft carrier, the fighter jets and the tanks until there is no longer the slightest hope that they will ever be returned to anything approaching usable condition.

One would think they could come up with a way to rort the budget without so much incredible waste. Let's say half is creamed off. That's $US 40 million. Why not just take the $US 40 million and not bother with the armoured vehicles. It would save the country the other $US 40 million.

You tink too mutt.

1 hour ago, Anythingleft? said:

I know which one I would rather be sitting in if the sh#t hit the fan.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

As far as I recall the Thai company referenced supplies quite a few Western armies - mostly parts and service, though. Less success securing vehicle sales as it's a loaded market. Think that the Thai police got some, but not sure.

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Whilst I understand that military forces around the world need to be in a state of readiness, I would like to point out that the Stryker is a substantial armoured vehicle designed for battlefield operations.

I am confident that this is yet another in a string of military hardware purchases that will never be used or need to be used to even a fraction of its potential. They will be left to rot along with the submarines and the aircraft carrier, the fighter jets and the tanks until there is no longer the slightest hope that they will ever be returned to anything approaching usable condition.

One would think they could come up with a way to rort the budget without so much incredible waste. Let's say half is creamed off. That's $US 40 million. Why not just take the $US 40 million and not bother with the armoured vehicles. It would save the country the other $US 40 million.

toys for boys.  fix the #$^$ infrastructure.  stupid.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Army has placed an order for thirty seven 1126 Stryker armored cars from the United States, valued at an estimated US$80 million, under the Foreign Military Sales program.

Just a little more than 2 mio for one ...? Seems cheap , too cheap .

3 hours ago, itsallmine68 said:

Confused as to the price

37 units at $80 Million or $2,162,162 each

On Wikipedia it quotes $4,900,000 each or $181,300,000 for a deal on 37 units

Why the difference???

According to some reports it's 60 vehicles for $80 million, which would make it even cheaper. The $4.9 million price tag is, I think, referencing later models, or those fitted with modifications and upgrades. Price when production was at its height (for a bare bones unit) was around $1.5 (which is pretty close to the current pricing of the deal with Thailand). Toss in some subsidy or the other under aid budgets, maybe a freebie add-on or two.

Price wise, maybe not a bad deal. Question is if they are really needed, what alternatives cost and if this is a priority at this time.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:33 PM, david555 said:

pure co incidental :   

"and deployed at the 11th Light Infantry Division based in Thailand’s eastern province of Chachoengsao."

Not needed in the south ?:whistling:

Didn't you know?  Chachoengsao is a hotbed of anti-social activity, full of hooligans and layabout teenagers.

My Thai nieces live there, probably the ring leaders...

On 5/14/2019 at 4:21 PM, worgeordie said:

If only they could put the utilities in good order first,so the

electricity does not go off everytime it rains or it gets a little 

windy,or a constant water pressure ,these things would improve

everyone's life, but never happens,not enough commission in it.

Whom does Thailand see as its enemies ?,maybe their own 

population,who one day might say enough is enough,

regards worgeorddie

The power goes off here if you fart to loud .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, toenail said:

Unfortunately the military may need these for South Thailand, How long will it take before ISIS fanatics yale over the local mosques in Southern Thailand??!?  ( Look at Sri Lanka) 

So why deploy them near Bangkok?