Unlocking a UK phone

yogi100

Where can I get a UK phone unlocked in Pattaya and how much would they charge me. I assume and am hoping that Tukcom on S Pattaya Rd will have someone who does it. Thanking you in advance for any advice.

Edited by yogi100

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes tukcom may do it, try ebay see if you can buy a code. Also call your network, they can unlock it

It's in the UK and India. By the time they answer I'll have spent enough money to buy a new phone. It's Three, they do all their power to stop you leaving them.

Cheers 

It's in the UK and India. By the time they answer I'll have spent enough money to buy a new phone. It's Three, they do all their power to stop you leaving them.

Cheers 
Call them using Skype, they will have a UK number, its 1p a minute

Yes Tukcom can unlock it, however once you use it for internet etc, the original supplier will see that you have made an illegal unlock and block it again!  The proper way is to contact original supplier and pay to unlock it.

The phone I wanted unlocked was a 10 year old Nokia 6500 slide with a stainless steel case in perfect condition but locked to the 3 Network in the UK,

A couple of technicians in separate Tukcom shops laughed at the suggestion. The others nearly laughed.

One said it would cost 1000 baht if the procedure which would take 3 hours was successful.

Another said it would be 700 baht if it was doable but he'd have to send it off to Bangkok!

On 5/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, champers said:

Tukcom have plenty of places who advertise phone unlocking.

The rest said 'No can' and tried to sell me a new phone in spite of the fact that I had another much newer model with me alongside the 6500.

What they advertise as "unlocking" in Tukcom is for when the phone screen is password locked...to unlock the SIM to use any carrier would require to install custom or unlocked firmware into the phones ROM (read only memory)
some manufacturers make it very difficult to read or write to ROM without specialized equipment...sometimes "enthusiasts" (hackers) have a work around and publish their work on the internet.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, yogi100 said:

A couple of technicians in separate Tukcom shops laughed at the suggestion. The others nearly laughed.

One said it would cost 1000 baht if the procedure which would take 3 hours was successful.

Another said it would be 700 baht if it was doable but he'd have to send it off to Bangkok!

Easy to see them laughing at the idea - old phones make little sense nowadays, regardless of the benefits they had. I still use a decent ten year old Nokia alongside my smartphone, better for basic calls than any phone I've had since.

A decade ago it was easy to unlock any phone in MBK and similar places in Bangkok for small money, but maybe they've got too used to big mark-ups in Tukcom now, or they're bereft of expertise there with older phones. 

Often it gets unlocked once you make a call to the uk using a uk sim, well that is for Samsung. Anybody you know in Thailand with a UK sim you can borrow for 5 minutes ? or else can you get some one to send you a UK sim.

You can buy unlock codes of the internet also.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:26 AM, johng said:

What they advertise as "unlocking" in Tukcom is for when the phone screen is password locked...to unlock the SIM to use any carrier would require to install custom or unlocked firmware into the phones ROM (read only memory)
some manufacturers make it very difficult to read or write to ROM without specialized equipment...sometimes "enthusiasts" (hackers) have a work around and publish their work on the internet.

Completely wrong. 

It is precisely to unlock to any network. But of course the times are a changing, but their capabilities are not.