Where is the rain?

Brunolem

Here in the far Eastern part of Thailand, summer season is still in full swing, with record heat during the last few days. 

In the last two months or so, we have had on average one significant shower/storm per... week! 

The rest of the time, heat and more heat... 

As the photos below show, this weather is taking a toll on the rice crop... and on my wallet, with an electricity bill that remains at peak level by the end of June, when usually it has already notably decreased at this time of the year. 

So, after having lost the dry and cool season, a.k.a. Winter season, are we also going to lose the Rain season and constantly live in Summer heat? 

I guess we will know soon enough... 

IMG_20190623_174018.jpg

IMG_20190623_174056.jpg

• Like 2

Plenty of rain in khon Kaen city this afternoon but passed the main Ubolratana reservoir, a little way NW of the city, this morning and it was still pretty low. So we still have some catching up to do.  

Here in Chiang Mai ,it keeps looking like it's going to rain,

then it doesn't,had a bit rain last night,maybe 15 mins, 

desperately need it to rain,as we have a big Hyacinth 

berg in the small river at the back of our house,it has

the river blocked and all kinds of crap is building up

behind it,glass,plastic bottles,polystyrene, and other

rubbish, and the level of the river is going down.

so need a monsoon,now. 

regards worgeordie

Tha Ton, the far north is still mainly dry. Yes, we have had a few storms washing mud and stones over the road but nothing that lasted hours. I planted young trees around Songkran because it usually starts raining then and stays pretty wet, but this year I was watering those trees every day for more than a month. When the garden did get wet I cut the weeds and planted seeds and I am now watering small corn and makrua plants after 3 days of sunny heat. Monsoon where are you?

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Here in Chiang Mai ,it keeps looking like it's going to rain,

then it doesn't,had a bit rain last night,maybe 15 mins, 

desperately need it to rain,as we have a big Hyacinth 

berg in the small river at the back of our house,it has

the river blocked and all kinds of crap is building up

behind it,glass,plastic bottles,polystyrene, and other

rubbish, and the level of the river is going down.

so need a monsoon,now. 

regards worgeordie

Are there any signs of the local administration for that area making an effort to clear the water hyacinth and other plastic trash etc.?

Oops, sorry, silly question.:unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Slight reprieve this month, but I believe the April-May period this year was the hottest I've experienced here since 2005. My peak electric bill was last month, with a drop of about 1000 baht this month. We completely missed out on a cool season this last Dec - Jan. That was upsetting as I look forward to that period of "coolness".

Plus high season was a season of dangerous 2.5 particle pollution for most on the eastern seaboard.

If the northern and north-eastern regions do not get rain in quantity soon, there are going to be major problems next year, as the northern dams need to refill to a decent level. Failure  to do this will cause the new government massive problems and they will have to launch cloud seeding planes to assist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Are there any signs of the local administration for that area making an effort to clear the water hyacinth and other plastic trash etc.?

Oops, sorry, silly question.:unsure:

A couple of weeks ago they did come and move the hyacinth from upstream,

and it floated past our house,guess they moved some further upstream again

and it got stuck right out the back of our house,it's going to take a lot of rain

to flush it away.

regards worgeordie

12 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Here is the latest report from the Thai Met. Dept.:

It shows the deviation from normal rainfall since 1 Jan. 2019. As you can see, most of Thailand has received anywhere from 5 to 20 cm less than normal rainfall from 1 Jan, to now.

Untitled.jpg

A clear confirmation... 

Let's not forget that we are in an El Nino event and that often means drought for this part of the world... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

I have noticed the same. very dark skies rains about a teaspoon than stops. I keep asking myself where is the rainy season. 37 today more dark black skies and no rain. Something strange is going on here.

Same here, we have the dark clouds, the rolling thunder, the very strong wind gusts... and no rain... 

Probably a combination of El Nino and climate change... 

• Like 1

Little to no rain here in the moo baan.  This morning we are using the new well to fill up the ponds, 6 inches of water flow, i am thinking 24 hours per pond, the electric is going to bite but we need the rice in and the well is very healthy.  Those without wells are going to be without rice unless something changes.  I have been irrigating the tumeric as well, along with flooding 3 paddies for grass, kwai gotta eat too. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Had a nice steady shower for about 20 minutes about an hour ago here in western Bangkok...Khet Talingchan.

And during the O-dark early hours and into the first few hours of sunrise today we had a steady rain here in western Bangkok (Khet Talingchan).  The ground got soaked good and the canal behind my house has risen significantly.

7 hours ago, johng said:

I just got soaked whilst out on my motorbike in Jomtien.

Your own bladdy fault....been threatening rain since early morning here in nearby Patts.....finished now (for the time being) 11.30 :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Plenty of rain around Ban Chang, I have had to empty the pool excess 3 times in the last 48 hours as it was threatening to overtop. 

I do hope the ladies on the "strip" are taking cover......:licklips:

Absolutely desperate situation in northan Isaan. Last rain last Wednesday afternoon. There was a bit of decent rain 6 weeks ago and that was the key for the rice sowing. Since then virtually nothing. Very spasmodic showers. One farm gets rain, the next one along doesn't. Monsoon due to start in 5 weeks, Might be too late to save millions of rai of rice.

• Like 1

big downpour here in south Suphanburi from 5pm to about 7pm...been drizzling since then...didn't show up on the TMD weather radar web page graphic...no thunder or lightening, the sky to the SW got black and it came straight across and dropped it's load...