wait period for extension of stay on non-O (marriage)

What is the wait period for the 1yr extension of stay of a non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai national?

I have read anywhere between 1-2 weeks to 4-6 weeks.  I plan to do this at Chang Wattana.  I have 4 weeks from the date I plan to submit the 1yr extension of stay paperwork to the day I would like to leave Thailand.  If the normal wait period is 4-6 weeks, will "they" give me any options?  I'm assuming during this wait period they will take my passport away.  Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

The 'Under Consideration' period is 30 days.   No, you retain your passport (with it's 'Under Consideration' stamp), and when you get notified (phone or email) you return to get the actual extension stamp applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Chaeng Wattana you will get a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from the day your application is accepted.

The approval might be done sooner that the report back date but sometimes it can take longer than the 30 days. Best to plan a trip after the 30 days.

• Like 2

You say in your original post that you have 30 days until "you would like to leave" so I interpret that as you can be flexible so I would wait until you have the extension before booking the flight out.

That's what I did in the same circumstances and when I went to get the stamp for the extension put into my passport I got a re-entry permit at the same time.

Maybe you could purchase a ticket that allows you to change the dates if you get short of time.

So worse case if one leaves Thailand before the actual extension stamp is applied, then the whole process has be restarted again?

Ootai: Yes, I have some flexibility, but was looking to purchase a ticket asap to lock in the price.  I'll look into getting a ticket that allows date changes.  That is a good idea.

Chazar:  Yes, I will do that.  That is a good idea.  Round trip to Chang Wattana with the traffic is easily a day wasted.

Another question is will "authorities" come over to our residence to do an inspection and verification?  Or is this done randomly?  Do "they" provide any warning if this will be done?  Does it mean I must stay put at home during the 30 days for a surprise inspection?

^

Yes, they should notify you prior to making a home visit, though that period of notice isn't defined.   Could be hours, could be days.

In April this year I changed from a Retirement to Marriage extension.   During the 'Under Consideration' period, I didn't get a home visit.   When I returned on the required date in May, they hadn't received approval yet, but went ahead and put the extension stamp in my passport anyway.   This was Phuket.

26 minutes ago, skylane said:

So worse case if one leaves Thailand before the actual extension stamp is applied, then the whole process has be restarted again?

You can leave the country during the 30 days but you need a re-entry permit for it that will be valid to the report back date.

28 minutes ago, skylane said:

Another question is will "authorities" come over to our residence to do an inspection and verification?  Or is this done randomly?  Do "they" provide any warning if this will be done?  Does it mean I must stay put at home during the 30 days for a surprise inspection?

They may do a home visit. They will call you to inform you when they will be doing the visit to insure you are going to be at home.

8 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

District 4 Thai Immigration in Khon Kaen who have about 17 immigration offices under them in isaan is still taking 5 to 8 weeks for approval.

It is now 20 offices now since they have opened 3 new offices this year (every province in Issan now has one).

Offices under them also start the under consideration period on the day the applicants current permit to stay instead of from the date of application.

But the OP is in Bangkok.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is now 20 offices now since they have opened 3 new offices this year (every province in Issan now has one).

Offices under them also start the under consideration period on the day the applicants current permit to stay instead of from the date of application.

But the OP is in Bangkok.

What happens to other places in Thailand  can have direct influence on other locations.

5 hours ago, skylane said:

Not to say it can't happen, but I'm on my 14th extension based on a Thai wife in Bangkok, and no one from the Immigration Dept. has ever paid me a visit, and you certainly don't have to stay home for the 30 days.

9 hours ago, pagallim said:

The 'Under Consideration' period is 30 days.   No, you retain your passport (with it's 'Under Consideration' stamp), and when you get notified (phone or email) you return to get the actual extension stamp applied.

I've never been notified before at the offices that I've applied at.  On the day you submit you app, the IO simple but a 'return date' in the passport and you show up on that day to get your stamp.  So obviously there may be differences between immigration office. 
No surprise here. One kingdom; many fiefdoms. 

4 minutes ago, Dave Sabino said:

I applied for a marriage extension in Buriram on 12th June and was given under consideration until 3rd August that's 52 days didn't give any reason maybe there's so many more people applying for them now because of the changes. 

All offices in Isaan (immigration division 4) start the 30 days from the day your current permit to stay from a extension of stay or from a non-o visa entry ends.

I would guess yours ended on the 3rd of July.

12 hours ago, pagallim said:

^

Yes, they should notify you prior to making a home visit, though that period of notice isn't defined.   Could be hours, could be days.

In April this year I changed from a Retirement to Marriage extension.   During the 'Under Consideration' period, I didn't get a home visit.   When I returned on the required date in May, they hadn't received approval yet, but went ahead and put the extension stamp in my passport anyway.   This was Phuket.

I think Chaeng Wattana not do home visits, as they not have enough workers for the amount of people living in Bangkok ????

And so far I know you could leave while under the waiting period, but need a re-entry permit.

If they ask you for a map to your house,then likely you will get a visit,not sure about BKK. they rang my wife 2 hrs before visit about 2 weeks after i made my extension for RETIREMENT and took photos of us together in ( "you must sit on bed together now your arm around her" while four I O took photos of us.go figure. ) and outside the house 

12 hours ago, HampiK said:

I think Chaeng Wattana not do home visits, as they not have enough workers for the amount of people living in Bangkok

They do home visits. The home visits are normally done by a different group than those you see at an immigration office. 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

If they ask you for a map to your house,then likely you will get a visit,not sure about BKK. they rang my wife 2 hrs before visit about 2 weeks after i made my extension for RETIREMENT and took photos of us together in ( "you must sit on bed together now your arm around her" while four I O took photos of us.go figure. ) and outside the house 

I also got a home visit after my retirement extension in Nov. They phoned up and said they would be there the following day, my wife said ok but we will be in Langkawi, said they would phone back in a week or so. Next call we got about 1 hour notice of the visit but they only took one photo, of me signing the forms at the table, then left leaving the forms on the table, had to come back the next day.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do home visits. The home visits are normally done by a different group than those you see at an immigration office. 

OK, surprised, as they till now never showed up. So I was assuming in Bangkok this not famous

Chaengwattana: New 1-year Extension B will simply expire due to my flight booking

For the first time in 20 years, my Extension-B will simply expire despite the handover of all necessary documents. Yesterday I visited the Immigration in Bangkok again. All documents for the usual 1-year extension B were checked and in order. Old Extension will run out on 07. July 2019 and for the stamp to the collection of the new extension after 30 days consideration (for the then current still 11 months validity) it came then to the "go out".

A few weeks ago my mother gave me a gift of a flight home during my annual holiday to Germany, outward flight 23. July 2019 and return flight 06. August 2019. The immigration officer then wanted to give me the stamp to collect my "new extension" on 06. August 2019. I explained to him that the 6. August 2019 is my departure date in Frankfurt and due to the time difference I will only land in Thailand on 07. August 2019. So I can return to the Immigration in Bangkok early on 07. August 2019.

But the immigration officers were not interested in that. In spite of three requests also to the higher ranked officers, I always only got the answer: "These are the rules. No change or postponement by one day possible."

Conclusion: All work for the Extension-B for this year was in vain. There is nothing else I can do and I have to apply for a completely new Visa-B (3 months) in Frankfurt before my return journey. 

Edited by geistfunke

8 hours ago, geistfunke said:

But the immigration officers were not interested in that. In spite of three requests also to the higher ranked officers, I always only got the answer: "These are the rules. No change or postponement by one day possible."

Conclusion: All work for the Extension-B for this year was in vain. There is nothing else I can do and I have to apply for a completely new Visa-B (3 months) in Frankfurt before my return journey. 

So he not let you talk to a higher officer?

I would try to call immigration and ask if it is possible to pickup your stamp 1 day later. Maybe someone else can help with this question who already encountered this Problem.
Now on a second read I understand the problem! You extension is valid for 30 more days which will expire on 6... and you arrive on 7, so you would miss your extension and had to come to Thailand without a visa (extension). So your only chance is if they give you a new stamp with 1 or more days for your extension. Bad coincidence!

Edited by HampiK
second read (understand the problem better)
  • Like 1

geistfunke

In my opinion the solution is simple, change the return date of your flight to 4th July and return so you can be in Thailand on 5th July and then on the 6th July go to collect your "stamp".

Seems better to me to miss a couple of days in Germany than to go through all the BS of starting over again.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, OOTAI said:

geistfunke

In my opinion the solution is simple, change the return date of your flight to 4th July and return so you can be in Thailand on 5th July and then on the 6th July go to collect your "stamp".

Seems better to me to miss a couple of days in Germany than to go through all the BS of starting over again.

Saver Value

Travel Class Economy class

Flight / Date change Not permitted