Email from Microsoft

lelapin

I just received the following email allegedly from Microsoft.

Has anyone else had one and do you think it is genuine.

image.jpeg.996ef3482c86334b186e4d04749b2114.jpeg 

Due to recent online security concerns and increased traffic on our database, we are deleting all Unused Accounts to free up space. If you still want to maintain your account, we require you to verify that your Account is still active within 72 Hours. 

Failure to do so will result to the permanent Termination of your E-mail Account and you will not be able to recover any of your mails (Inbox / Sent / Draft / All Folders) stored on our Servers. 

Best Regards, 

The MicrosoftAccounts Team. 

This email can’t receive replies. To give us feedback on this alert, click here. 

For more information, visit the Microsoft Account Help Centre. 

image.png.c57a001dd204900536fca3a27be43225.png 

You receive this mandatory email service announcement to update you about the important Changes to your Microsoft Product or Account. 

2019 Microsoft Inc., Corporate Headquarters, 1 Microsoft Way Redmond, WA, 98052. 

I got an e-mail a while ago today fm MS that said they are re-validating the accounts and that I had to

read the new agreement of usage, etc and notify them that I accept the new terms.  It is different from your e-mail but I guess basically the same.  I recently got an e-mail from avast that said Windows XP and Windows 7 were open to a new worldwide virus so I'm upgrading to Windows 10 which supposedly is not affected by the new virus.  Don't know if this is for the same thing or not.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you get any mail like this do the following:

Close the mail.

Go to i.e. Microsoft.com and logon to your account.

Don't use google or any search engine where you should logon.

If you logon to your account there will be a message if there is anything to do. If not, then there is nothing to do.

Do never ever click on any link in the original mail and don't use contact numbers or email addresses or web links from that mail.

I've also changed my password after they sent me a code via my mobile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scam.

Am getting  d a i l y  links & attachments (Microsoft, Apple, banks and other phishing like "congratulations" (Amazon, CVS, ...)

With Google offering 15 GB, you think MSFT is worried about the size of your account?!??? They will sell you extra cloud services.

Someone wants your ID. (I will send you a bottle of whiskey but you must sign my dodgy credit card reader and tell me your PIN)

• Like 1

Easiest way to tell is that they will never use your name as its just a scam.

Usually they start with

Dear customer or something simular.

If i have some spare time i like to email them saying i am having problems clicking the link .

Get these all the time from Apple saying i have purchased some apps that i haven't and need to log in to cancel.

• Like 1

This is a genuine microsoft email (received yesterday).

Came from [email protected] 

cleardot.gif

Microsoft
Your Services Agreement made clearer
Your Services Agreement made clearer
Hello,

You are receiving this email because we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to one or more Microsoft products or services you use. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.
The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that governs your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services.
You can read the entire Microsoft Services Agreement here. You can also learn more about these updates on our FAQ page here, including a summary of the most notable changes. The updates to the Microsoft Services Agreement will take effect on Aug‍ust 3‍0, 20‍19. If you continue to use our products and services on or after Aug‍ust 3‍0, 20‍19, you are agreeing to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services by closing your Microsoft accounts before these terms become effective. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for your child’s or teenager’s use of Microsoft products and services, including purchases.
Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.
Microsoft Services Agreement
Microsoft Privacy Statement
Frequently Asked Questions
This email was sent from an unmonitored mailbox.
Privacy Statement

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052 USA
Microsoft

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lelapin said:

you will not be able to recover any of your mails (Inbox / Sent / Draft / All Folders) stored on our Servers. 

" any of your mails"  Mails ??  72 hours ??

Forward it to MS spoof mail to get their reaction. Don't think it's real. Check the actual senders address by clicking "view source."

Google MS spam mail report 

Use email to submit junk (spam) or phishing scam messages to Microsoft

To submit a junk or phishing scam message to Microsoft:

1. Create a blank email message.

2. Address the message to the Microsoft team that reviews messages, as follows:

1. Copy and paste the junk or phishing scam message into the new message as an attachment.

Note

You can attach multiple messages to the new message. Make sure that all the messages are the same type — either phishing scam messages or junk email messages. > Leave the body of the new message empty.

2. Click Send.

Edited by Suradit69

One easy way to deal with emails like this is simply hover your mouse over one of the links (do not click on the link) and see what address is displayed. If the link is protected (doesn't show an address), be extra cautious.

Another tell, which a lot of people ignore, is where the email is from, ie, the senders address. If it doesn't show as a minimum @microsoft.com (the microsoft can be prefixed by numerous titles such as e-mail, email, communication, etc.

The above are only quick guides as both of the above can be disguised by different means, easiest of which is slight mis-spelling of the addresses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP, next time when you receive such a fishy e-mail, just check the e-mail address of the sender, which is usually a fake one.

Just commented on that exact point. Something a lot of people overlook while being suspicious of only the contents of the email.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP, next time when you receive such a fishy e-mail, just check the e-mail address of the sender, which is usually a fake one.

Very easy to do.  I received one yesterday stating that my email storage has exceeded capacity etc etc 

The mail address says The Microsoft Security Team and looked official but the actual email address is [email protected]

I used to forward these to Microsoft only to receive an advice that it was a phishing mail.  Now I don't bother and just delete them. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

This is a genuine microsoft email (received yesterday).

Came from [email protected] 

How do you know a mail came from [email protected] or any other sender like google, yahoo, etc.?

Most users will look at the From field. And that can be easily faked.

It's possible to look a the (normally hidden) email header. But that needs more or less expert knowledge so it's not an option for a normal user.

3 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Get these all the time from Apple saying i have purchased some apps that i haven't and need to log in to cancel.

I doubt they came from Apple.    Rather they came as above from a scammer.

I get tons of garbage as well from a FedEx address and Google.    Urgent, urgent.

Edited by watcharacters
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How do you know a mail came from [email protected] or any other sender like google, yahoo, etc.?

Most users will look at the From field. And that can be easily faked.

It's possible to look a the (normally hidden) email header. But that needs more or less expert knowledge so it's not an option for a normal user.

If in doubt I always set the original email to Forward and read all the address information (and I guess I should say I don't then send it ???????? )

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 2

Yes, I think it's a fake too. Usually when I get these sort of emails my hotmail/outlook puts them in the junk because the address from which they are sent is not identified. FedX is a common one, 'You have an urgent message from...' is another.

32 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Yep this is indeed genuine.

I had a similar email last week, they asked me to send them money to South Africa, which I did. The money went out my account with no problem ????

Let me guess, they ask you for more money for your profitable investment... 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

Yep this is indeed genuine.

I had a similar email last week, they asked me to send them money to South Africa, which I did. The money went out my account with no problem ????

yep,  I hope you sent a several thousand baht. If it was genuine you have to do as they ask. ????

• Haha 1