18 traditions shortlisted for national cultural heritage list

snoop1130

18 traditions shortlisted for national cultural heritage list

By The Nation

800_52adab4315def5b.jpeg

Pottery in Nonthaburi's Koh Kret

Thailand’s Committee for the Promotion and Preservation of Cultural Wisdom is adding 18 new items to the national cultural heritage list, Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said on Monday.

He added that an event celebrating the inclusion of these 18 items – such as the strain of durian fruit peculiar to Nonthaburi province, pottery in Nonthaburi's Koh Kret as well as Samut Prakan’s Bang Bor snakeskin gourami fish – will be held at the Thailand Cultural Centre in Bangkok on August 28. 

The event will also feature exhibitions, seminars and demonstration of the listed items, as well as the conferring of awards to outstanding individuals and groups. 

The remaining items considered for the heritage list are Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend; the legend related to the founding of Lop Buri’s capital; Kalasin province’s “Pong Lang” xylophone; Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum; Pathum Thani’s Mon dance; Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom and Uttaradit’s “Atthami Bucha” ritual; Si Sa Ket and Surin province’s “Ram Trot” dance; Loei’s traditional “Mor Lam Maeng Tab Tao Thai Luey” performances; Surin's Jolmamuad ritual; Nakhon Si Thammarat’s “Hae Nang Dan” festival; Phetchaburi’s stucco work; Nakhon Ratchasima’s “Dan Kwian” ceramics; Petchabun’s “Sin Mee Kan Noy” sarong; Nakhon Pathom’s “In Kon Fon Kaen” martial arts; and Chanthaburi’s “Dui Dui” kite-fighting. 

These 18 items were chosen from a list of 168 proposed by provincial cultural committees and will be added to the national cultural heritage inventory of 336 items.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372599

logo2.jpg

- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-08

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s Committee for the Promotion and Preservation of Cultural Wisdom

I suspect the honorable members of the Committee gained their own wisdom in nightly djungle sessions beating Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum.

9 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Stealing funds from children, elderly, and sick/disabled didn't make the list?

Yep.  Surprising.  Corruption is a long-established high art in Thailand.  Somebody must have bribed the selection committee - - -

11 comment so far. All negative. Nothing positive.

if is a negative story, ok. But this is not. 

About our culture that we are proud of. And none of you know about.

Maybe your culture is to ridicule, mock, criticize and complain.

Everyday. Everything. Our culture, our religion, our people.

Sad people.

Why are you here if you hate us so much?

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sad people.

Very simple Yinn.  Most of us come from "outside" Thailand where reality plays an important part.  Most of us come here to enjoy the good side of Thailand.

That doesn't need much comment

It is the false circus side that exists here that prompts what you perceive as negative comments that is brought to attention constantly.

Thailand has some very big problems.  One of them is the refusal to accept what is wrong.  Instead of accepting that and doing something about it, smoke and mirrors get put up everywhere.  Ministers for This and That.  Daily propaganda by the "leaders" telling everybody how good it is when it is NOT.

You're a Thai person who has joined a group specifically for farang.  We think and speak differently due to our up-bringing in different parts of the world.  We are an INTERNATIONAL community - trying to tell Thailand what is wrong - - - -

27 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Very simple Yinn.  Most of us come from "outside" Thailand where reality plays an important part.  Most of us come here to enjoy the good side of Thailand.

That doesn't need much comment

It is the false circus side that exists here that prompts what you perceive as negative comments that is brought to attention constantly.

Thailand has some very big problems.  One of them is the refusal to accept what is wrong.  Instead of accepting that and doing something about it, smoke and mirrors get put up everywhere.  Ministers for This and That.  Daily propaganda by the "leaders" telling everybody how good it is when it is NOT.

You're a Thai person who has joined a group specifically for farang.  We think and speak differently due to our up-bringing in different parts of the world.  We are an INTERNATIONAL community - trying to tell Thailand what is wrong - - - -

Guess what....

They won't listen...

41 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sad people.

Your comment is true Yinn. There are many positive cultural things I admire about the Thai people, yet I too wrote a negative comment. You should understand that we don't hate you. I know many Thais that I really consider to be friends. But about many things we feel we are not treated fairly. My negative comment about dual pricing is one of them. If you go to my country you would pay the same amount for something that I pay, for everything. Most of us just want to live here in peace. I understand that I will never be accepted fully in Thai society, but I don't think it is too much to ask that I be treated fairly and with the same respect Thais give to each other. All that being said your comment is a fair one. Peace.

49 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Sad people.

Thailand has many great things about the place although not every country likes to constantly tell everyone how great it is. It could be construed as cheesy, bragging or simply trying to constantly improve ones standing, in the world. After all we don't need any more hubs thrown around.

Besides that as westerners, we quite openly ridicule ourselves. As I am British I can criticise the Queen, Politicians, rich people without any repercussions and it is done on a daily basis in the UK by the press. Very different here I know, but I mention it, so you can grasp the understanding that westerners often critisise or question things openly. Is Thailand perfect no. Is the UK perfect, far from it. Questioning and challenging that is morally wrong is a good thing in my opinion, even with a bit of humour.

Please don't take these things to seriously.

11 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Thailand has many great things about the place although not every country likes to constantly tell everyone how great it is. It could be construed as cheesy, bragging or simply trying to constantly improve ones standing, in the world. After all we don't need any more hubs thrown around.

Besides that as westerners, we quite openly ridicule ourselves. As I am British I can criticise the Queen, Politicians, rich people without any repercussions and it is done on a daily basis in the UK by the press. Very different here I know, but I mention it, so you can grasp the understanding that westerners often critisise or question things openly. Is Thailand perfect no. Is the UK perfect, far from it. Questioning and challenging that is morally wrong is a good thing in my opinion, even with a bit of humour.

Please don't take these things to seriously.

Very true LG, and the societies we mock the most are our own...and that's a good thing.

33 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Your comment is true Yinn. There are many positive cultural things I admire about the Thai people, yet I too wrote a negative comment.

Is this thred topic for negative comments? Other threds talk about negative. Why you need to say negative HERE?

You should understand that we don't hate you. I know many Thais that I really consider to be friends. But about many things we feel we are not treated fairly. My negative comment about dual pricing is one of them.

My friend go to school in Sydney. She paid 640,000 baht. The local price paid 35,000.

i tried get the visa to visit her, cost lot of money to APPLY. And waste time to go to Bangkok, and 20 page of document. Want to go for 3 week, but they make me pay for 3 month. 

They took the money, but not give visa. Not give money back. 

How much the visa for 3 weeks for you come thailand? How much document for that?

If you go to my country you would pay the same amount for something that I pay, for everything.

Not true. 

Most of us just want to live here in peace. I understand that I will never be accepted fully in Thai society

I wont be accepted to only visit your country.

But that ok right?

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Sad people.

I'm here because I love Thailand and, most of all, it's people. My favourite tradition is the Banfai Pyana festival in Nong Khai. Amazing and shows many aspects of Issan culture.

However, as farangs we are not exposed to these unique Thai cultural traditions on a daily basis. The unique Thai traditions that we normally experience are:

Bribing a policeman to escape a drink/driving conviction.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, in a country that is 1st in the world for road deaths.

Hazing in schools.

Military juntas.

Men fighting 6 against 1.

The lovely people of Thailand deserve better than for these traditions to continue.

We love you all and just want Thailand to be truly amazing!

1 hour ago, Lenny Jones said:

.  We are an INTERNATIONAL community - trying to tell Thailand what is wrong - - - -

Trying to tell Thailand what you think is wrong? Who are you telling? Me? 

The thred is about “Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend; the legend related to the founding of Lop Buri’s capital; Kalasin province’s “Pong Lang” xylophone; Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum; Pathum Thani’s Mon dance; Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom and Uttaradit’s “Atthami Bucha” ritual; Si Sa Ket and Surin province’s “Ram Trot” dance; Loei’s traditional “Mor Lam Maeng Tab Tao Thai Luey” performances; Surin's Jolmamuad ritual; Nakhon Si Thammarat’s “Hae Nang Dan” festival; Phetchaburi’s stucco work; Nakhon Ratchasima’s “Dan Kwian” ceramics; Petchabun’s “Sin Mee Kan Noy” sarong; Nakhon Pathom’s “In Kon Fon Kaen” martial arts; and Chanthaburi’s “Dui Dui” kite-fighting.“ 

Not about what you think is wrong. Is this the thred for that? 

If really what you say, write a letter to the thai government in thai. You think complaining on thred in English is going to make the difference?

14 minutes ago, petemoss said:

I'm here because I love Thailand and, most of all, it's people. My favourite tradition is the Banfai Pyana festival in Nong Khai. Amazing and shows many aspects of Issan culture.

However, as farangs we are not exposed to these unique Thai cultural traditions on a daily basis. The unique Thai traditions that we normally experience are:

Bribing a policeman to escape a drink/driving conviction.

How many time that happen to you?

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet, in a country that is 1st in the world for road deaths.

I dont do that. But if someone else do it, up to them, not my business. Are you are policeman?

Hazing in schools.

Happen to you? Or not. Happen to me, I not cry, fun and make you stronger.

Military juntas.

What you going to do about that? Please do it!

Men fighting 6 against 1.

Muay Thai.

How many times six Thai fight you?

When farang army fight, they check is fair fight first? Or fight to win with nuclear, etc?

What about

endemic corruption and nepotism,

indiscriminate littering and environmental destruction,

rejecting and denying responsibility,

cheating in any form and of any description,

lip service and hypocrisy,

disregard for human life,

double-standard justice,

universal flaunting of all and any laws,

terrible motor vehicle driving standards, 

double pricing for foreign visitors,

unbridled materialism and insatiable greed for money,

recurring coup d'etats,

general incompetence and ineptitude,

suppression of critical thought,

inability to grasp logic,

fake smiles,

frequent announcements of hubs that never materialize,

self-entitled elites and their delusions of grandeur

rabid nationalism,

undisguised racism?

Why didn't make these that list? They surely must be more defining of Thailand's "national cultural heritage" than, say, "Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend".  

7 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

What about

endemic corruption and nepotism,

indiscriminate littering and environmental destruction,

rejecting and denying responsibility,

cheating in any form and of any description,

lip service and hypocrisy,

disregard for human life,

double-standard justice,

universal flaunting of all and any laws,

terrible motor vehicle driving standards, 

double pricing for foreign visitors,

unbridled materialism and insatiable greed for money,

recurring coup d'etats,

general incompetence and ineptitude,

suppression of critical thought,

inability to grasp logic,

fake smiles,

frequent announcements of hubs that never materialize,

self-entitled elites and their delusions of grandeur

rabid nationalism,

undisguised racism?

Why didn't make these that list? They surely must be more defining of Thailand's "national cultural heritage" than, say, "Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend".  

What about world war x2, 

vietnam war

iraq war

colonise

syria war

afghanistan war

korea war

bomb laos

bomb cambodia

corruption 

How many thai bomb the people in other country?

A. We don’t.

Have any month the farang not doing this to another country?

A. Every month

how many mum and kid dead?

Millions

I think that a bigger problem right? Or not?

You say nothing about.....

Chai Nat’s Khao Sap Ya legend; the legend related to the founding of Lop Buri’s capital; Kalasin province’s “Pong Lang” xylophone; Tak’s “Klong Eud” barrel drum; Pathum Thani’s Mon dance; Bangkok, Nakhon Pathom and Uttaradit’s “Atthami Bucha” ritual; Si Sa Ket and Surin province’s “Ram Trot” dance; Loei’s traditional “Mor Lam Maeng Tab Tao Thai Luey” performances; Surin's Jolmamuad ritual; Nakhon Si Thammarat’s “Hae Nang Dan” festival; Phetchaburi’s stucco work; Nakhon Ratchasima’s “Dan Kwian” ceramics; Petchabun’s “Sin Mee Kan Noy” sarong; Nakhon Pathom’s “In Kon Fon Kaen” martial arts; and Chanthaburi’s “Dui Dui” kite-fighting. 

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Is this thred topic for negative comments? Other threds talk about negative. Why you need to say negative HERE?

My friend go to school in Sydney. She paid 640,000 baht. The local price paid 35,000.

i tried get the visa to visit her, cost lot of money to APPLY. And waste time to go to Bangkok, and 20 page of document. Want to go for 3 week, but they make me pay for 3 month. 

They took the money, but not give visa. Not give money back. 

How much the visa for 3 weeks for you come thailand? How much document for that?

Not true. 

I wont be accepted to only visit your country.

But that ok right?

I really don't want to argue with you Yinn. I said your initial comment was a fair one, right? Regarding education costs, It is true there are different costs, but that goes for everyone. In America, if I live in New York, but I want to go to school in California I will pay more than somebody who lives in California. It applies to everyone. When I applied for my visa at the Thai Consulate in America I had to pay first. If I was denied they would not have given the money back. But, if you go to a National Park in America you will pay the same amount I pay. And no, it is not ok in my opinion that you are not accepted to visit my country (and I am free to say that criticism about my country without fear).

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

How many time that happen to you?

I don't do that. But if someone else do it, up to them, not my business. Are you are policeman?

Happen to you? Or not. Happen to me, I not cry, fun and make you stronger.

What you going to do about that? Please do it!

Muay Thai.

When farang army fight, they check is fair fight first? Or fight to win with nuclear, etc?

"How many time that happen to you?"

I have been asked for a bribe several times for motoring offences. I know several people who have paid a bribe to avoid a drink/driving conviction.

"I dont do that. But if someone else do it, up to them, not my business. Are you are policeman?"

No I'm someone who is concerned about the safety and lives of all Thais.

"Happen to you? Or not. Happen to me, I not cry, fun and make you stronger."

I'm very concerned that it will happen to my son. I don't want him to end up in hospital, fighting for his life. Not fun and doesn't make you stronger if you end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

"What you going to do about that? Please do it!"

As a foreigner I can do nothing. Thais can do it, it's been done many times in the West, it's called a revolution.

"Muay Thai.

When farang army fight, they check is fair fight first? Or fight to win with nuclear, etc?"

We are talking about young men fighting in the street, not countries going to war.

Nothing to do with Muay Thai, which is an art of self defence, you are taught never to use it to attack people. 6 on 1, pure cowardice, no excuse for it.

15 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

All uninteresting and irrelevant to most people's lives, the real Thai cultural heritage is in their music that mostly get ignored.

Agree. I love Morlam and have been to several concerts. Also have Morlam CDs in the car.

If you're in Pattaya, try Red restaurant on the Darkside. Live Morlam band every night and good Issan food too.

Archived