Selling car registered in another province

I have a car that was bought about two years ago from a private seller in Samut Prakan. I live in Bangkok. Being the trusting soul that I am I let him do all the paperwork.  I got my name on the Blue Book (which states my BKK address) and new plates etc but as I found out recently the plates were Samut Prakan plates.

I am now trying to sell my car (am now waiting for the Certificate of Residence to come through). I have received conflicted information about needing the car to be on BKK plates before selling.  Has anyone been through this before? What do I need to do to get onto BKK plates and how long will that take to do? I'm up against a deadline (moving overseas in a few months).

Thanks in advance.

Let the buyer worry about new plates..they may live in any other province  so changing to BKK is just a waste of time, money and effort..If you are leaving the country  and the transfer to a new name isn't done before you leave then   remember to give a signed "power of attorney" form Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdfEnglish example_power of attorney_ umnart.pdf

to the new buyer

also sign the blue book  

31243125_bluebook.thumb.jpg.beeb74ea060aea08f0cadea2e3ddf490.jpg

sign the  "request to transfer form"

cor own_.pdfEnglish example_transfer english.pdf

and send them a copy of your "exit from Thailand stamp" in your passport (obviously after you left the country)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sold 2 cars that were bought in Bangkok, with Bangkok plates, up country.  It isn't a problem.  They needed a copy of my passport photo page, the page with my current visa, and the one with my last entry stamp. They also need something showing where you live, either a certificate of residence, or, as I used, a copy of my yellow tabian bahn.  I've also changed the registration province for another car in my name.  The paperwork requirements were the same, but you also need to book the car in for an inspection with the authorities in the province you want it changed to.

• Thanks 1

I agree wit other posters that there is no problem selling the car. I had Bangkok plates on my car and sold it in Korat. The new owner can keep the existing plates or get a new set of plates after the sale.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, johng said:

Let the buyer worry about new plates..they may live in any other province  so changing to BKK is just a waste of time, money and effort..If you are leaving the country  and the transfer to a new name isn't done before you leave then   remember to give a signed "power of attorney" form Power_of_Attorney_TH.pdfEnglish example_power of attorney_ umnart.pdf

to the new buyer

also sign the blue book  

31243125_bluebook.thumb.jpg.beeb74ea060aea08f0cadea2e3ddf490.jpg

sign the  "request to transfer form"

cor own_.pdf 56.72 kB · 0 downloads English example_transfer english.pdf 67.51 kB · 0 downloads

and send them a copy of your "exit from Thailand stamp" in your passport (obviously after you left the country)

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

The new owner can keep the existing plates

Yes if the new owner lives in BKK they can keep BKK plates    but if they live in another province the plates will need changing..unless they never do the name change and drive around with someone else's name in the book as the owner,which (amazingly) they can do and still pay Tax and insurance yearly "no plomplem"

4 hours ago, johng said:

Yes if the new owner lives in BKK they can keep BKK plates    but if they live in another province the plates will need changing..unless they never do the name change and drive around with someone else's name in the book as the owner,which (amazingly) they can do and still pay Tax and insurance yearly "no plomplem" 

If the new owner is Thai he can keep BKK plates even if he changes it to his name and lives in another province.

27 minutes ago, johng said:

Strange my wife couldn't keep original plates ...maybe its a Bangkok thing ?

Your wife probably bought a car in let's say BKK, took it back to the province where she lives, and went to the DLT there to get it changed into her name. In this case she has to get license plates from this province.

If she had gone to the DLT in BKK to get the car changed into her name, then she could have kept the BKK license plates.

Edited by jackdd

Your wife probably bought a car in let's say BKK, took it back to the province where she lives, and went to the DLT there to get it changed into her name. In this case she has to get license plates from this province.
If she had gone to the DLT in BKK to get the car changed into her name, then she could have kept the BKK license plates.
Yes I think you're correct...except she bought a car with BKK plates in Chonburi and didn't want to drive to BKK to do the change...imagine if she bought the car in Chaingmai ! One day they will update this antique system of registration...
Thailand 4.0 and all.