On a plate: DLT hands out registration stats

snoop1130

On a plate: DLT hands out registration stats

By The Nation

800_8c33d62c70c9d3d.jpg

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) says the number of new vehicles registered with red licence (temporary) number plates reached 1.61 million in the first half of 2019.

Categories that top the chart were motorcycles and private cars seating less than 7 passengers.

Jantira Buruspat, Deputy Director-General of the DLT, said the number of new vehicles registered from January to June was about the same as the first half of last year but the number of registered passenger cars seating less than 7 went up by 8 per cent to 405,000 and pick-up trucks also saw a 6 per cent increase to 149,000. 

Motorcycles were still the most registered type of vehicle but at 971,000 they were 4 per cent down on 2018.

The DLT also released data for the number of accumulated registered vehicles in Thailand at the end of June. 

Among a total of 40.19 million registered vehicles, 21.05 million were motorcycles, 9.71 million personal cars with less than 7 seats and 6.70 million were private pick-up trucks. The small remainder were 1.13 million trucks, 422,000 passenger cars with more than 7 seats and 163,000 buses. 

“To facilitate the registration process at the DLT, we recommend vehicle retailers to provide buyers with a complete set of the necessary documents,” said Jantira. 

“Also, car buyers need to know the conditions and regulations regarding the use of red licence plate vehicles. Red license plates can be used temporarily for only 30 days after they received their vehicles and must be accompanied by the vehicle booklet issued by the DLT.”

Ashe added that those violating the rules would be subject to a maximum fine of Bt10,000.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30373014

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-15

Red license plates can be used temporarily for only 30 days after they received their vehicles....

Yea...right....I see cars continuing to use red license plates for months and months.   Right here in my own moobaan I see such vehilces....primarily on the pricier cars where people are waiting for a special license plate number.   Heck, my neighbor right across the soi has had a red plate on his new Benz for approx 4 months already....he's waiting for that special lucky number license plate he's after. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Among a total of 40.19 million registered vehicles, 21.05 million were motorcycles, 9.71 million personal cars with less than 7 seats and 6.70 million were private pick-up trucks. The small remainder were 1.13 million trucks, 422,000 passenger cars with more than 7 seats and 163,000 buses. 

So there is personal cars with less than 7 seats, and personal cars with more than 7 seats in the statistics. We have a car with exactly 7 seats, not less, not more.. Mitsubishi Xpander. Where does that fall in? Or are they out of scope?

I would guess it should have read personal cars with up to 7 seats, and personal cars with more than 7 seats?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

....the number of registered passenger cars seating less than 7 went up by 8 per cent

This is fantastic and exiting news from the Department of Land Transport!

It's cars we want, the more the better.

And how much does the household debt balloon out from that; perhaps 10 to 12%. Thailand has one of the worst household debt problems in Asia. It is presently at 78% of GDP. 

• Haha 1

How embarrassing. Back from January 2018

"Sanit Promwong, director general of the Land Transport Department, said a draft law to implement the ban was being reviewed by the Office of the Council of State and would be debated at public hearings as required by Article 77 of the new Constitution.

He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day.":

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

I would guess it should have read personal cars with up to 7 seats

I second that. Obviously another lost in translation.

Up to 7 seats is the maximum for private car.

42 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Local in my area has had a red plate for 7 years....he bought a new Tuna......never a question asked and no tax due annually.

It's widespread everywhere and I've never seen a red plate pulled over!

Wrong

Must fill in a logbook for inter changwat trips. Udon Thani cops nabbed us. No fine just a lecture! 

15 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

I would guess it should have read personal cars with up to 7 seats, and personal cars with more than 7 seats?

yes it should have. Up to 7 seats normal black plate. Over 7 seats privates vehicle blue plate