Do Thai Kids Have No Respect For Foreign Teachers?

I could not blame them for disrespecting joke teachers, unqualified white faces who are just here to prolong their nightlife interests, Thai kids are not stupid. The youngsters at private Schools like Patana of course with REAL teachers have a lot of respect for the foreign staff. Respect needs to be earned, too many so called teachers in governments Schools don't deserve much. Why are they here on 30k a month if they are qualified and could be earning so much more at home?

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

I was down at Kata beach last night having a few drinks as usual

You still here?

I thought you were "outta here"?

(according to him, Thai kids are brought up from a young age not to respect any foreigners)

Absolute rubbish.

so I thought I would put the question to TV.

Not the greatest place to get a neutral, non racist, non xenophobic, intelligent answer.

See below;

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

standard procedure for them......sure they learn from young age to hate foreigners and carry the hate over until they become IMO's

For the Love of God!

See what i mean?

Cretins and morons.

• Like 1

Reported post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

In my experience, the notion that Thai boys and adolescents are "spoiled and privileged" is TVF mythology. While it is true that most Thai parents are not especially heavy-handed disciplinarians, the idea that young Thai men are waited on hand and foot by their parents, coddled, or otherwise instilled with the idea that they are more deserving or entitled than their female siblings simply isn't generally true. If anything, many Thai males in public primary and secondary schools suffer from poor academic self-esteem and self-confidence, which is but one of the reasons I have long thought that a single-sex classroom program post third grade might benefit Thailand's educational system.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, Gecko123 said:

In my experience, the notion that Thai boys and adolescents are "spoiled and privileged" is TVF mythology. While it is true that most Thai parents are not especially heavy-handed disciplinarians, the idea that young Thai men are waited on hand and foot by their parents, coddled, or otherwise instilled with the idea that they are more deserving or entitled than their female siblings simply isn't generally true. If anything, many Thai males in public primary and secondary schools suffer from poor academic self-esteem and self-confidence, which is but one of the reasons I have long thought that a single-sex classroom program post third grade might benefit Thailand's educational system.

Imperfect academic self- esteem is the result of their education; please have a look at their teachers. ( Low self esteem)

Unfortunately, did they go to the same brainwashing institutions were marching and copying homework, usually material that they didn't teach in school hours seems to be more important than English learning? 

I'm just wondering why Thai teachers are doing a much better job when they teach 50 students privately and at school by using taxpayers' facilities to make a lot of cash, where each student pays at least 100 baht/an hour.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Imperfect academic self- esteem is the result of their education; please have a look at their teachers. ( Low self esteem)

Unfortunately, did they go to the same brainwashing institutions were marching and copying homework, usually material that they didn't teach in school hours seems to be more important than English learning? 

I'm just wondering why Thai teachers are doing a much better job when they teach 50 students privately and at school by using taxpayers' facilities to make a lot of cash, where each student pays at least 100 baht/an hour.

If you have been charged 100 baht per hour for your child to study an extra class you have been ripped off.

The general fees are usually in the region of half that. 400 baht a month for 2 hours a week.

• Like 1

My kids do private 'extra classes' at the week-ends. Cost 250 Baht per child for 4 hours. My missus seems to think it is doing good but I have my doubts. No getting through to Thais. They think that by throwing money at things gets results.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, Isaanbiker said:

I'm in my 15th year at a Thai school, and it's true. Thai kids, in general, do not respect foreign teachers.

If a foreign teacher at a high school takes his job too seriously and he/she's is too strict, the students write an evaluation and if too many dislike him/her- the contract might be not renewed. 

You are in the wrong school then. I don't experience this. One teacher I know is VERY strict, and will call parents in for meetings. Yet the students love him. Why?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

You are in the wrong school then. I don't experience this. One teacher I know is VERY strict, and will call parents in for meetings. Yet the students love him. Why?

Student engagement and mutual respect.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the teacher who is not respectful enough? It can go both ways inside a class room. You need to understand the Thai culture before you teach here. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 2:42 PM, thequietman said:

What a pile of <deleted>!

I left the UK after selling my business and apartment for a handsome profit. I still have the profits from that in a Thai bank and I came here 15 years ago.

Starting teaching out of sheer boredom after partying it up for 4 years. I save 36-38,000 baht from my salary each month after paying my outgoings. I have a home and a truck that are paid for and a bike for myself, the wife and the stepson. All paid for. 

If I went back to the UK tomorrow, I could start a business and be successful almost immediately. It is a skill I have always had. However, money is not my driving factor and so I am happy enough here.

Also have a property in the UK that will be sold as a retirement fund. Not successful - I don't think you are even close there. ????

Yes, that is also pretty much my story, thequietman. Just with the difference that I only partied for 2 years and only had 5 million baht with me. Recently, I finished a BA (and part of the master's) at a top 70 university, globally, and will be returning to Thailand to teach this coming April, so I guess I will be the hopeless loser SteveK is talking about :) 

On 8/1/2019 at 4:11 AM, Orton Rd said:

I could not blame them for disrespecting joke teachers, unqualified white faces who are just here to prolong their nightlife interests, Thai kids are not stupid. The youngsters at private Schools like Patana of course with REAL teachers have a lot of respect for the foreign staff. Respect needs to be earned, too many so called teachers in governments Schools don't deserve much. Why are they here on 30k a month if they are qualified and could be earning so much more at home?

There can be many reasons: Maybe they want the experience, maybe they have fallen in love with a girl, maybe they like the culture, the Thai people, maybe they like the warm weather, maybe they like they don't have to cook at home, maybe they love the food, maybe they love the rich night life in Bkk, etc., etc., etc. We also have to remember that living costs are much higher in the West, so comparably the difference between 35t/b in bkk and a poor grade school salary at home maybe isn't that big. Last, uni degrees in arts here in Denmark have zero economic potential, but in for example China (and to some degree TH, too) it can be "sold" for a lot of money (if you are white as well), the local living costs taken into consideration. 

So, many reason. Personally, I just finished a degree and just want to see how it is to teach in Thailand and maybe China. If it works out well, I think I will stay, but if not, I just return here to Denmark. So, now you know ????

Edited by OumarhindaOunsingha

Whatever the reason for them being here I see English teacher's several days a week coming and going to the language Schools in Bkk. I have never seen one looking happy ever, they all look miserable and depressed. Not something to be recommended by the look of them.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I teach at the University level (and periodically am asked to "sub" for an absent native speaking teacher at our associated Demonstration School).. Here's my take...

I think that the respect you, as the teacher will "get" (I personally prefer the term "earn") will be based in large part, by you, and how you act, speak, behave, dress, interact with your students ... yes, I DO think some of the respect will be very dependent on the student and there will be some (a small percentage in my experience) who are just plain disrespectful regardless of your (the teacher) actions and the like... So you can be picture perfect and some will just never take to you.. that's life and how it is..

But.. I do think that with some careful, purposeful planning on the teachers part, you can craft a personality and reputation that earns a very level of respect.  As to the Thai teachers... For me, when I started, I was the first foreigner in my department but our faculty has a few.. So I wasn't "new per se", but most of the senior instructional staff had limited day-to-day exposure to a foreign teacher..  How I positioned myself from day one was as a "resource" for the senior staff... in other-words I tried to align myself as someone who was here to help them and not compete with them.