At what age did you leave home?

kellersphuket

18 and a half.

To follow my adolescent dream of seeing the Old Dart and I had a wonderful time for four years.

My family was rather splendid about it all as it was a traditional thing to do-although usually they were dressed in uniform and posed as 5 bob a day tourists.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

14 half joined the ROYAL NAVY at HMS GANGES  thinking that would be the end of school  to my misunderstanding i had signed up for another year of intense schooling  still, worked out ok taught me to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer  and as you might of guessed more problems

14, wow thats young! Bet you saw the world at a young age right?

Good on you buddy!

• Like 1

Left when I was 25.  Had finished my BS engineering degree one year before, was still working in family restaurant for no pay and had to get on with life.  Couldn't find any engineering work in Rhode Island so staying in the area just did not seem like it was going to happen/ Joined the US Air Force, went to Officer Training School at Lackland AFB Texas 1982.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

It is not unusual for a thai family to be living in a small house together when their kids are well into their 40's and beyond..

What I find strange is the kids sleep with their parents even in their twenties, strange enough once they reach three or four years old to sleep with parents where I come from!

I left home at 17, by the time I was 18 I was on-board working on a offshore drilling rig!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, CharlieH said:

Left at 19 after the usual "cant tell me what to do" that occurs after 18 type heated argument. So that was it, "I''m off" and never went back again. Always lived where I chose after that.

But still on good terms with the parents, yes??

19 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

14 half joined the ROYAL NAVY at HMS GANGES  thinking that would be the end of school  to my misunderstanding i had signed up for another year of intense schooling  still, worked out ok taught me to wash my socks and drink copious amounts of beer  and as you might of guessed more problems

I recall attending some ceremony there, many decades ago, including watching some young sailors climbing up a bloody big mast. One of them stood on the top of it. Got a medal for bravery I think. We were from Harwich.

Was pretty much shown the door at 16 and told to fend for myself. My old man was a selfish bastard who should never had had kids. He was probably only 37 when I left and was itching for his freedom and couldn't wait to offload the kids.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Was pretty much shown the door at 16 and told to fend for myself. My old man was a selfish bastard who should never had had kids. He was probably only 37 when I left and was itching for his freedom and couldn't wait to offload the kids.

sounds just like my old man. my mum was the same, she only had me as she couldnt cope with more. after I left they started going on luxurious holidays together 4/5 times a year, when all the time I was a kid they told me they had no money ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I think I was 5 , half mile walk to primary school but my mother always picked me up and walked me home

Same for me,

My mom used to take me, and I walked home alone.

Across the village green, and along two short roads, no traffic.

Left for University at age 19, never moved back.

Loved my parents, just never wanted to live with them as an adult.

They were both dead by the time I was 23, I'm sad I never really got to know them as an adult.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Same for me,

My mom used to take me, and I walked home alone.

Across the village green, and along two short roads, no traffic.

Left for University at age 19, never moved back.

Loved my parents, just never wanted to live with them as an adult.

They were both dead by the time I was 23, I'm sad I never really got to know them as an adult.

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine are still chugging along in their 80s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine are still chugging along in their 80s.

My mom died at 63, my dad died at 65 both from cancer, I'm 64 soon.

My family have always been a bit odd (for generations), breed in their 40s, die in their 60s. 

I've repeated the breeding pattern, expecting death to be the same.

Edited by BritManToo