Importing Personal And Household Effects

I’m in the process of having my things shipped here to Thailand. Having just read the Thai customs information regarding “Importing Personal and Household Effects” on this link

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/OpenF...sp?docId=A00040

I see it states,,

Items must arrive in the Kingdom of Thailand not more than one month prior to the owner’s arrival or not more than 6 months after his/her arrival and/of the necessary permits are obtained.

Does anyone know, hopefully from experience how strict this rule is?

I arrived in Thailand on 8th September on a non Imm O visa, so it’s now over 6 months ago. Can I still get them shipped here or am I too late? Has anyone still had their things shipped after being here 6 months???

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

Find a shipping agent in Thailand.

They should be able to smooth over the delay for a small fee. :o

Phil I have e-mailed a reply..our agent is Frieght Link Express International +66 (0) 2 285 3542

In January you were clearly told that customs duty would be due on any import so has your status changed and you now have work permit and wonder how strict they will take the six month rule? I suspect this is the case. I also suspect it will be taken seriously.

I thought the law had changed and personal effects are no longer tax free imports.

Personal effects are duty- and tax-free for returning Thais, having lived at least for 1 year abroad and for foreigners having a ONE-YEAR non-immigrant status or a work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Both inpractise is difficult for many.

astral Find a shipping agent in Thailand.

They should be able to smooth over the delay for a small fee.

Thanks for that Astral, can you recommend a good agent?
John45 Phil I have e-mailed a reply..our agent is Frieght Link Express International +66 (0) 2 285 3542

Thanks for the info John

danone i've imported my stuff five years after arrival. not a question had been asked.

i guess even if i'd import a second batch of personal effects no question would be asked.

danone, was your shipment door to door or door to port? Did they inspect the things in your boxes? Why are you so sure they wouldn't ask questions if you shipped a 2nd batch?

If a person didn't use the forum, or the internet for that matter, they wouldn'y even know there was a 6 month time limit imposed!

lopburi3 In January you were clearly told that customs duty would be due on any import so has your status changed and you now have work permit and wonder how strict they will take the six month rule? I suspect this is the case. I also suspect it will be taken seriously.

lopburi, as I clearly stated in my post, I arrived in Thailand on 8th September on a non Imm O visa. I am NOT asking if I will be liable for duty.

LivinLOS I thought this had changed.. That household effects (being different from personal effects.. Eg clothes and books and stuff you could be on vacation with) were no longer duty free imports ??
LivinLOS, the customs website http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold states,
Requirements for Duty Free Allowance

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption.

It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.

I also read,

fax machines and phones can cause problems and may not be

considered as household/personal effects but rather as dutiable office equipment

Has anyone brought in a fax machine without having to pay duty on it or not?

Axel, you wrote,

Can you explain please?

Axel, you wrote,

Can you explain please?

One arrives on a non-immigrant visa and is permitted to stay for 90 days. To apply for extention to get a permit up to one year takes time and requires conditions that many companies, especially if "employed" by an "own" company, cannot provide. Thus those fulfill neither the requirement ONE-YEAR non-immigrant status nor a work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Same to me long time ago and friends not so long ago (6 months to 1 year). P/E-shipment arrived and duty-free denied due lack of these one-year conditions.

LivinLOS I thought this had changed.. That household effects (being different from personal effects.. Eg clothes and books and stuff you could be on vacation with) were no longer duty free imports ??
LivinLOS, the customs website http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold states,

Wouldnt be the first time that a website is not exactly current here in Thailand though is it..

Also noted in the link is those that are becoming resident.. Do you have resident status ?? Non imm isnt resident if the translation is to be considered 100% accurate..

My experience was back in the days when I should have been allowed it tax free.. I also had a TGF who lioved with me in Europe and had been overseas for multiple years.. the boxes were shipped in her name..

Once they saw they were valuable they were ransomed back.. Simple as that.. Sure the rules said one thing.. They had my stuff 7500 USD speakers.. A 10k USD home theater projector.. it was a case of pay up or we leave it out in the rain.. I think his exact words were "sure those may be the rules, but it may take many months to process the items according to the rules", and they would charge storage fees for the duration.. The final straw was when they said they may have to 'open' my marble speakers to look inside them..

Yes, LivinLOS, theory and practise. :o

Living it in the rain, or probing with a knife deep into the cartons.

Suggesting to send some items to the 'head-office' for checking, which would take some weeks.

Guess, I heard it all, and I do suggest to offer something, even if the goods are in the name of a returning Thai. If in Rome... and all that.

Wouldnt be the first time that a website is not exactly current here in Thailand though is it..

Also noted in the link is those that are becoming resident.. Do you have resident status ?? Non imm isnt resident if the translation is to be considered 100% accurate..

My experience was back in the days when I should have been allowed it tax free.. I also had a TGF who lioved with me in Europe and had been overseas for multiple years.. the boxes were shipped in her name..

Once they saw they were valuable they were ransomed back.. Simple as that.. Sure the rules said one thing.. They had my stuff 7500 USD speakers.. A 10k USD home theater projector.. it was a case of pay up or we leave it out in the rain.. I think his exact words were "sure those may be the rules, but it may take many months to process the items according to the rules", and they would charge storage fees for the duration.. The final straw was when they said they may have to 'open' my marble speakers to look inside them..

did you use door to door, or were you doing it yourself.

I'm pretty sure all the established players have 'arrangements' with customs to expeditie things. Of course, you won't see it, it will be part of your moving fee. When talking about Thailand, it is well worth door to door as far as I'm concerned.

livim LOS, you wrote,

I assume you used door to port if you were there yourself? If so then did you arrange "clearance" yourself?

Can you tell me which port you used? Maybe some are easier than others, or is that just fantasising!

The only 2 options I have (I think) are the port of Bangkok at Tarau Road, Klongtoey. Or Laem Chabang.

Was port to port (airport to airport in fact).. 3.5 metric tonnes via air freight.. Into Phuket airport..

I did engage an agent.. Then sent up a local Thai friend I knew (got a better price than the agent) and finally went myself and collared the boss on his lunchbreak (so he didnt have to share the kickback)..

But I will say again.. I have been told multiple times that the link you have provided is out of date and no tax free import for household effects is in place for farangs arriving.. 6 months or not.. Maybe I am wrong but thats what I was told.. changed last year ??

samran, the link provided states that it was posted on the 5th of Sept 2006. That is fairly recent so you'd assume it was correct.
I would assume that to be correct also, but remember, this is Thailand and I reckon if you think the opposite then you won't go wrong! lol

That link also states as below,

“Personal/Household Effects are exempted from all customs duties. Please contact a Customs Department Official directly for further information.”

I think it depends you you deal with at the customs at the time!

We all pay the price in more ways than one to enjoy living (holidaying) in Thailand. Makes me think sometimes, it is worth the hassle????? :o

Welcome to Thailand!