What they don't tell you about clearing off to Vietnam

robsamui

5 hours ago, robsamui said:

Most of you will already know that the currency is insane. Bank notes with 6 zeros. It’s not so much the silliness of the numbers – it’s that there are SO many different notes in use.

LOL...yes, when not use to so many zeroes, sometimes the brain doesn't quickly register the amount. I found myself always counting the zeroes to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Watching others at the counters paying, everyone seemed to have the same problem. The cashiers were generally helpful in helping people sort it out as they know the colors related to different bills and will point to what you have in your wallet.

4 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

HCMC and newrby is where the losers are, the North won the war, the North is a salt of the Earth place, history defined that with the courage of defeating the Yankees and French. Stay away from the losers.  

Is life completely different in the north of Vietnam ?

Is there no crime or fake alcohol etc ?

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

body too broken to try to acclimatize in any new environment, even more if i have to spend half a day trying

to get what i want, i cant even do that.

if i had a properly working body i would

appreciate the lower cost tho, and inconveniences wouldnt be such a drag.

i just hope i die before i have to leave,

relocating is too painful

How old are you? The Who, hope I die before I get old, has its benefits.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

I walked 10 to 20 kilometres every day for a month with tablet in my hand guiding me to places inn both HCMC and Hanoi and smaller towns, was never snatched. Hanoi has class, HCMC and southern areas more like the Southern Islands of Thailand. There is BIG C, no need to buy fake alcohol anywhere in Vietnam if one uses their brain. Still people can be nice in HCMC.

As Marvin Gaye sang, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Certainly don't believe much you read in the media, including Thaivisa, in Vietnam you dont have the farang prejudice, nor in any other SE Asian country. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Thx for the report. Question, are there gated community Villages like in Thailand? How much for a rental house 2 bedroom,2 bathroom, community pool if available?

You could have a look online to see Vietnamese property rent availability , but condos /hotels/accommodation is about 1/3 rd  more than in Thailand , (Thai prices away from the tourist areas, that is )  

Edited by sanemax
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

So many foreigners (in Thailand) gripe and moan about having to do the TM.30s and 90 day reports.
Imagine if they had to renew their visa every 90 days !

As I've mentioned in other threads, there is a huge difference between visiting a place and actually living there. The OP's post helps highlight that difference. I've also mentioned that one has to consider what one is willing to put up with (or without) when deciding to live in a foreign country. Obviously there are cheaper countries to live in than Thailand, but the downside(s) may be more than most are willing to accept.

Some more detailed information would be helpful though.
Such as, can foreigners own land there or is it like Thailand ?
How much are the (3 month) Visas (if there is any cost) and what are the requirements (if any) ?

Do they have reporting requirements like Thailand ? 
What are the internet speeds and packages like (price-wise) ? Also, the availablity outside of the major cities.

Many foreigners love their "footie" (or other English language programming such as news and movies), what are the TV services like ? (Cost and availability).

One thing I hated about Cambodia was the noise, especially for wedding ceremonies where they blast the music as loud as possible ALL DAY LONG. Frik - it seemed every village and town we went through had at least one wedding happening everyday ! That alone is enough to for me to never want to move there.
It's already been mentioned about the constant honking in Vietnam. (I noticed India was like that as well - people would start honking the moment they saw another vehicle, even if it was on the other side of a divided, well lit, 4 lane highway at 2 in the morning !)
What about other noise such as weddings, blaring announcements on loudspeakers, bars/karaokes blasting music until the wee hours, etc.

The availabilty of foreign foods would be an issue for some, especially if living away from the larger cities. Not much different from Thailand in that case, except that Thailand seems to have a 7/11 or Family Mart (or both) on almost every city block or in every village of more than a thousand people (and it's pretty easy to get stuff delivered if ordering online). Of course, that would be the more expensive option which would rule it out for those seeking greener "cheaper" pastures. Again, it depends on what a person is willing to give up in exchange for a cheaper cost of living.

Medical clinics and healthcare would also be a consideration (for some of us). It's obvious that a lot of foreigners in Thailand can't afford Health Insurance (if they can't afford to meet the financial requirements and are using agents to get around that, I seriously doubt they are splashing out for health insurance either). Those people wouldn't care about such matters in a place like Vietnam either, but others might.

Years ago (almost 25 years ago now, when I was still in the Army) I was trying to find a place I might like to retire to one day. I made a list of some countries in SE Asia, Central and South America that might be suitable.

I never even considered Vietnam (or Laos), mainly because of their communist governments. Other places have shaky governments as well but I've never trusted a communist government and certainly wouldn't want to live under one. Cambodia was shaky as well back then (the UN had a peacekeeping mission there back in '93 at the same time I was on a peacekeeping mission in Croatia). 
It seemed to be the common thread amongst all the "cheaper" retirement destinations - shady governments that could crumble (or go rogue) in an instant. The places with seemingly more stable governments (like Belize and Costa Rica) were also the more expensive options.

All that being said, it is nice to hear from people that actually live in a place (as opposed to just visiting it for a weekend) as it can be a real eye opener, especially for all those "That's the final straw ! I'm leaving Thailand and moving to (wherever) because (wherever) is so much better then here !" people. (Not that it'll stop them from saying that. Might make a few of them change their supposed destination to a different greener cheaper destination though !)

Great great post

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

They dont tell you about the incessant noise of the motorbikes beeping their horns , the noise does get mentioned , but not to the extent that exists .

The beeping is non stop incessant and is the min reason why I couldnt live in Vietnam

After about six months, I thought I was becoming immune to the sound of horns. But it didn't last. Every day, there will be several incidents of guys leaning on the horn all the way down the street or an intercity bus with its over-amped horn or multi-tone horn that pierces your spinal nervous system. During which you issue a stream of colourful language or raise an inconspicuous middle finger. Or you can be trapped in a taxi or Saigon-bound limo van while the driver holds his left hand on the horn button the entire route. Bangkok is an oasis of quiet after this.

• Like 2