What’s it really like living as an Expat in Vietnam? (Interview)

Jonathan Fairfield

What’s it really like living as an Expat in Vietnam? (Interview)

By Dan Cheeseman

foreignersphotodntcfbp_YVYI.jpg?zoom=2&r

It has become a much more challenging environment to live in Thailand as an Expat and as such many retirees have looked to new pastures with Vietnam seemingly the most popular choice.

So much so that the leading Expat website in Thailand, Thaivisa.com, has created a Vietnam forum for members to discuss this region.

But with all this talk of migration of expats from Thailand to Vietnam, the question has to be asked: Is the grass always greener?

So I was keen to investigate and have been lucky enough to have interviewed an American Expat who has now lived in Vietnam (Sai Gon) for just over one year.

My first question was why Vietnam?

“I moved here because of the massive amount of job offers for English teachers and because the Vietnamese currency is very weak against the American dollar. I have a very low cost of living which gives me enough money to explore every interesting attraction in Asia.”

expat_YZDJ.jpg?w=608&ssl=1

What are the benefits of living in Vietnam?

“The benefits of living here are many. English companies are eager to hire me. I can buy a year-long tourist visa, business visa and even a two-year work visa, without company sponsorship.

"The culture is focused around family and hospitality, especially hospitality shown to foreigners. My rent is in a modern hotel that includes fast Wi-Fi, market shopping service, laundry service, maid service, three hot meals a day and all utilities for $85 a month.

I live across the street from my job. A hoagie sandwich cost $0 .50 cents A cold beer cost $0.50 cents All food is fresh, from farm to table. The vegetables were picked this morning. The animals were swimming or walking only hours ago. Petite college girls want to marry me, to impress their families.”

What are the negatives of living in Vietnam?

“In every communist country, no person can ever say anything bad about the government or government officials. My social media posts are monitored by the government.

As long as this law is not broken, we enjoy the freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Air pollution, water pollution, food pollution, noise pollution and garbage, in general, are very bad. Trash is blowing everywhere and the population just tosses their garbage into rivers or under trees. They have killed most of the wild animals and eaten them.

They eat dogs and cats, for fun, even if they are wealthy. Actually, nearly everything that moves can be found on a restaurant menu with a side of red chilli peppers.

Lemons simply do not exist here.

They are cutting down large areas of trees without replacing them. Vietnamese people have ZERO regards for environmental conservation. Hospitals are very bad.

Traffic is probably the most dangerous in the world. The population problem is way out of control.”

Read more: https://danaboutthailand.com/2019/09/01/whats-it-really-like-living-as-an-expat-in-vietnam-interview/

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent some time there last year and to me the negatives far out weigh anything for me.

I do not need to work ever again so the English teaching job deal is mute point.

Many golf courses, many available girls, modern infrastructure, modern living standards, and most importantly the medical and hospital care are tops for me.

Vietnam has none of this from my observation.  The dude interviewed is living in a hotel?.

A third world downgrade in life and lifestyle.

I thought the place was interesting, but to live there? No way.  I respect myself and my quality of life long term way beyond Vietnam.

But, good luck to those who chose this way of life.  Mostly because it is cheaper....

65$ a month??? I was always thinking the rent is dirt cheap in Thailand. 

Know some guys who are escaping next year's haze in North. I guess Dalat he wanted to relocate for 3 months, after that sure we share some knowledge.

Going myself to Pnh soon sure checking out long rentals. Eventually a trip to northern Laos, definitely worth checking.

12 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

65$ a month??? I was always thinking the rent is dirt cheap in Thailand. 

Know some guys who are escaping next year's haze in North. I guess Dalat he wanted to relocate for 3 months, after that sure we share some knowledge.

Going myself to Pnh soon sure checking out long rentals. Eventually a trip to northern Laos, definitely worth checking.

Uh, he actually said 85. But, who is counting.

Sounds great though,  doesn´t it.

I am sure it is a primo wonderful place.

"It  has become a much more challenging environment to live in Thailand as an Expat and as such many retirees have looked to new pastures with Vietnam seemingly the most popular choice"

Not for me.... I am doing exactly the same thing for the past 19 years...800,000Bt. in the bank (untouched) soley for my ext.

PS.....And it's worth a lot more now...to boot.

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A third world downgrade in life and lifestyle.

I thought the place was interesting, but to live there? No way.  I respect myself and my quality of life long term way beyond Vietnam.

But, good luck to those who chose this way of life.  Mostly because it is cheaper....

I don't see any problem with Vietnam...

1. Has beach and palm trees....  Check

2. Brown skin and small eyes....  Check

3. Cheap, since I have no job and no savings....  Check

Same Same as Thailand. 

All clear for Vietnam, start the migration. They will love you long time... ????

Vietnam is getting Thailands rejects, people who failed at life and now at the mercy of currency exchange on meagre pensions and nothing else. How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

Lucky vietnam !!

This is more or less just nonsense. Good deals on rent can be had, no doubt, but $85 per month for what's described is unrealistically low, probably a typo? $285 I could believe, maybe even $185 in a cheap area. No lemons in Vietnam? Nonsense, I've seen them with my own eyes. Eating dogs and cats "for fun"? What does that even mean? Many people eat for enjoyment on top of merely sustaining their body, is that what he means?

I agree that the recent thread started by robsamui has much better information.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Vietnam is getting Thailands rejects, people who failed at life and now at the mercy of currency exchange on meagre pensions and nothing else. How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

Lucky vietnam !!

How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

UNQUOTE

As long as you did not have to face serious health problem your question make sense....but 12 years ago I had to return to my home country in the EU with a cancer which would have ruined me totally in Thailand

11 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

he guy who wrote this piece knows nothing about really living in Vietnam.

Life is a breeze here compared to Thailand. 

One of our posters indicated that a single transaction at an ATM in Vietnam  is only the equivalent of 2600 Thai Baht.  In order to get 10,000 Baht one would need to do 5 transactions plus the associated fees and if your money is offshore this would amount to offshore fees.

How do expats handle their banking when all their monies go directly into a bank outside of Vietnam.

I lived in HCM for 1 yr. I swear when I read some bits of this report I thought it was written by the junta to keep foreigners here but then I remembered they actually want us out. 

Anyway this report is very inaccurate. Housing is not as cheap unless the guy lives in a dumpster. Really depends on the area but in general not much cheaper than Thailand

Vietnamese people dont eat dogs, cats or everything that moves plain BS. There was a problem when I lived there 3 yrs ago of thugs kidnapping dogs maybe in the rural areas people eat dogs, never seen in the big cities like Hanoi or HCMC. No lemons <deleted>? They have the same small lemons that can be found in Thailand. 

HCMC is changing too fast and w the inflows of foreigners from pretty much everywhere imported foods will become more easily found. Free trade agreement w the EU will also help.

Spot on the easy Visa requirements.

I don't see any problem with Vietnam...

1. Has beach and palm trees....  Check
2. Brown skin and small eyes....  Check
3. Cheap, since I have no job and no savings....  Check

Same Same as Thailand. 
All clear for Vietnam, start the migration. They will love you long time... [emoji57]

Too many visa runs if you're not working or married to a local.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

How does a person spend a 40 year working life and were not able to save 800k ?

UNQUOTE

As long as you did not have to face serious health problem your question make sense....but 12 years ago I had to return to my home country in the EU with a cancer which would have ruined me totally in Thailand

Sorry to hear that hope you are OK.

So, you got cared for in your home country for practically nothing?

But, you are right. Not being responsible and having proper insurance here could wipe someone out.

Lucky vietnam !!
Simple minded garbage.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Lucky vietnam !!

Condescending, judgmental and arrogant statement, maybe financial circumstances are as they are because they support or look after someone who needs it more at the moment...

Archived