Pentagon chief suggests European allies replace funds diverted to border wall

webfact

Pentagon chief suggests European allies replace funds diverted to border wall

By Idrees Ali

2019-09-05T230835Z_2_LYNXNPEF84268_RTROPTP_4_USA-DEFENSE.JPG

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper holds a news conference at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, U.S., August 28, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

DOWNLOAD PICTURE

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said that European nations should consider funding projects in their countries after the Pentagon diverted money to pay for a border wall with Mexico.

The Pentagon said on Wednesday it would pull funding from 127 Defense Department projects abroad and at home, including schools and daycare centres for military families, as it diverts $3.6 billion (2.9 billion pounds) to pay for President Donald Trump's wall along the U.S. border.

Trump has made immigration a signature issue of his presidency. He declared a national emergency over the issue earlier this year in an effort to redirect funding from Congress to build a wall along the U.S. southern border, which he originally said would be paid for by Mexico.

"The message that I've been carrying, since when I was acting secretary to today, has been about the increase in burden sharing," Esper told reporters in London late on Thursday.

"So part of the message will be 'Look, if you're really concerned then maybe you should look to cover those projects for us' because that's going to build infrastructure in many cases in their countries," he added.

"Part of the message is burden sharing, 'Maybe pick up that tab.'"

Some of the projects affected are in Europe, like $21.6 million for port operation facilities in Spain and $59 million for munitions storage in Slovakia.

The defunded projects also include schools for the children of military personnel in Germany and the United Kingdom.

The fund diversion has been heavily criticized by U.S. lawmakers, who say it puts national security at risk and circumvents Congress.

Esper will meet his British and French counterparts in the coming days.

The Trump administration has repeatedly called on NATO countries to pay at least 2 percent of their gross domestic product for defence.

The Pentagon has been increasing its attention toward Europe in recent years, concerned about a resurgent Russia.

Earlier this week Vice President Mike Pence said allies should "remain vigilant" about Moscow's election meddling and work toward independence from Russian energy supplies.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by Chris Sanders, Mary Milliken and Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-06
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Americans they are so funny, they lose more and more respect. (talking politics here not American citizen)  But if these things are for US use then let them pay for themselves. Why would the EU pay for schools for US military personnel ?.  The port improvements if used by Spain sure let them pay but if only used for the US why foot the bill.

Anyway the once proud leader of the free world is tumbling down all because of Thrump no wonder the Russians wanted him in power. Destroy the US from the inside out ????

I have nothing against Americans just against the American politics of this president. 

imo fake news "russians wanted trump in power" proved by the russian hoax based on democrats and leftwing media news thrash.

perfectly legal to divert funds from other budgets as dems denied through congress usd $ 5.9 billon for building the wall stopping illegal immigrants. mayor de blasio raised an interesting point yesterday interviewed by tucker carlson. de blasio confirmed usa would loose 36 miillion jobs in the next 12 yrs through automation only. hence for what does the usa needs to receive illegal immigrants, who work mainly in low skilled jobs. those low skilled jobs will vanish, hence illegals are not needed but democrats support open borders. thus democrats support unnessary burden for the us tax payer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

imo fake news "russians wanted trump in power" proved by the russian hoax based on democrats and leftwing media news thrash.

perfectly legal to divert funds from other budgets as dems denied through congress usd $ 5.9 billon for building the wall stopping illegal immigrants. mayor de blasio raised an interesting point yesterday interviewed by tucker carlson. de blasio confirmed usa would loose 36 miillion jobs in the next 12 yrs through automation only. hence for what does the usa needs to receive illegal immigrants, who work mainly in low skilled jobs. those low skilled jobs will vanish, hence illegals are not needed but democrats support open borders. thus democrats support unnessary burden for the us tax payer.

I disagree, i think the Russians did help. But both you and I have a different opinion hard to prove either way.

I never said anything about it not being legal.. just don't see why Europe would help if the stuff he mentioned is for Americans. If it benefits Europeans then sure why not but schooling for US servicemen their kids.. why would Europe pay for that.. no benefit. A port.. maybe if there is economic benefits not if its just for US military. 

42 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

mayor de blasio raised an interesting point yesterday interviewed by tucker carlson. de blasio confirmed usa would loose 36 miillion jobs in the next 12 yrs through automation only. hence for what does the usa needs to receive illegal immigrants, who work mainly in low skilled jobs. those low skilled jobs will vanish, hence illegals are not needed but democrats support open borders. thus democrats support unnessary burden for the us tax payer.

You have actually argued against the wall with De Blasio's statement of automation. If automation takes away low skilled jobs, then there will be less immigrants coming to take these low skilled jobs as there won't be as many jobs to fill. It is all about supply and demand, even in the workforce. People don't migrate to places without jobs on which to live.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silurian said:

You have actually argued against the wall with De Blasio's statement of automation. If automation takes away low skilled jobs, then there will be less immigrants coming to take these low skilled jobs as there won't be as many jobs to fill. It is all about supply and demand, even in the workforce. People don't migrate to places without jobs on which to live.

Perhaps USA could enact a perpetual wall building program and guarantee full employment to anyone willing to build. Walls around entire perimeter of the country, at least 500’ tall. 

• Haha 2

Is it just me but its about time these countries paid for their own security. I think Britain is the only one out of those mentioned who pays their commitment. I'm not an American fan boy but come on if Spain needs a navy port for ships to use then they should use it. If countries want American bases then they should pay for or help pay for them. There is a however and that is if America wants a base in a certain location then they should pay for it and lease the land from the country and the same for schools, if they want them they should pay for them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Who said they want US bases. If the US wont allow a country to have nukes to defend itself then they van take on the duty to defend them.

The US doesnt have bases out of the goodness of their heart. They have them do thry can exert influence. They dont want other countries influencing the regions.

Exactly!  When I was last in Spain the locals hated the yanks and wanted them out.  There were street protests in Barcelona along the lines of "Go home Yanks!".  I was traveling then with an ex marine who was <deleted> scared and told us to run saying he had seen this too many times. 

You are correct in saying that "The US doesnt have bases out of the goodness of their heart".  There are usually some deal (or threat) that is worked out between the two govts without any regard for what the countries' citizens want.  Democracy is a thing of the past except in some US politician's speech.

But getting back to the topic of walls I wonder how deep they will go because it seems to me the Mexicans, and particularly the drug and people traffickers. are very successful in digging tunnels under the border so the wall would be almost pointless?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Is it just me but its about time these countries paid for their own security. I think Britain is the only one out of those mentioned who pays their commitment. I'm not an American fan boy but come on if Spain needs a navy port for ships to use then they should use it. If countries want American bases then they should pay for or help pay for them. There is a however and that is if America wants a base in a certain location then they should pay for it and lease the land from the country and the same for schools, if they want them they should pay for them. 

It’s not just you.... it’s 39% of voting population, according to polls.

anyway.... navy port... assumedly to US military requirements. Spain would probably have no need of a “naval” port of this kind, having ports enough already to cater to its own maritime needs. If the US needs extra resources to service its specific needs, beyond those available, why should Spain pay. This is a US “want”, which is why the US was going to pay.

also... “if countries want American bases”.... well.... I think you have acknowledged reality in your last sentence, saying “if America wants a base in a certain location, they should pay for it...”, as I’m pretty sure it’s the Americans who make these allocations determined by their military objectives, vs a host nations military objectives.

you don’t see China complaining about building infrastructure in other countries, to suit its objectives, do you?... if you want to compete with them, you have to be better than them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scot123 said:

That's what Germany does already.

11 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

Don't think the cleaning lady, the gardner, the seasonal crop picker is going to be too much impacted by automation.  Those in white collar and service jobs are going to feel the impact of automation ... current voters.

People for change are starting to feel good about the POTUS plan to Make America First, by protecting my countries SB ! By diverting our Military funds from other countries to bolster our on National security, in reality, those countries are helping pay for the wall.

Mexico is as well, with all their thousands of soldiers assisting with logistics and security of their borders .Which free's up American assets, that are working behind the scenes .The numbers of illegals entering are going down,another way of how Mexico is  inadvertently helping. Less migrants entering illegally is less cost for the American Taxpayer 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, riclag said:

People for change are starting to feel good about the POTUS plan to Make America First, by protecting my countries SB ! By diverting our Military funds from other countries to bolster our on National security, in reality, those countries are helping pay for the wall.

Just from other countries? Really?

These Are The Military Projects Losing Funding To Trump's Border Wall

The Pentagon revealed on Wednesday the full list of $3.6 billion in military construction projects that will get shelved to help build a wall along the U.S.- Mexico border, according to documents obtained by NPR.

Lawmakers from Virginia to Arizona learned their states will lose millions in military construction projects as part of the plan.

Virginia Democratic Sens. Tim Kaine and Mark Warner slammed the move, saying their state alone will lose more than $77 million in planned construction projects. In all, four military projects will be impacted in Virginia.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/04/757463817/these-are-the-11-border-projects-getting-funds-intended-for-military-constructio

Fort Campbell Middle School loses funding to build Trump's border wall

A new Fort Campbell middle school to relieve student overcrowding will have to wait, after a Pentagon decision this week to reallocate $3.6 billion in defense spending away from military construction projects in order to build President Donald Trump's border wall.

The $63 million Fort Campbell project is among those delayed in favor of 11 new projects that will make up 175 miles of new or reinforced border barriers, officials announced, according to the Military Times.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper made the announcement Wednesday.

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/local/fort-campbell/2019/09/05/fort-campbell-middle-school-loses-funding-build-trump-border-wall/2220255001/

• Thanks 2

Well I guess if the USA close their schools at UK bases we might be able to run them - give a few more jobs to our immigrants - we can ask for a few volunteers from our Sunni community ………  only halal lunches of course.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:26 AM, samran said:

All trump has to do is say the Mexicans are paying for it and his minions will lap it up. He can even pretend there is an actual wall...

And if they find out there's actually no wall, easy enough to blame it on ___________ (fill in whatever).

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, Sujo said:

Who said they want US bases. If the US wont allow a country to have nukes to defend itself then they van take on the duty to defend them.

The US doesnt have bases out of the goodness of their heart. They have them do thry can exert influence. They dont want other countries influencing the regions.

"If the US wont allow a country to have nukes to defend itself then they van take on the duty to defend them."

I kinda doubt that the "US wont allow" bit is well anchored in reality and fact.

As for USA bases being an extension of USA interests - duh. Obviously, at least in some cases (if not most) it also represents the host country's (or it's government's or whatever) interests as well.

• Confused 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:34 PM, riclag said:

Mexico is as well, with all their thousands of soldiers assisting with logistics and security of their borders .Which free's up American assets, that are working behind the scenes .The numbers of illegals entering are going down,another way of how Mexico is  inadvertently helping. Less migrants entering illegally is less cost for the American Taxpayer 

If numbers of illegals are already going down, with current measures deployed, then it goes against the justification of spending all that money and resources on building Trump's Wall. May want to look up the term diminishing returns.