Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Why should she. Did she say it should be returned or that it should be public?

Miller CONDEMNED it as undemocratic and the organisation of being secretive

If I CONDEMNED a cash donation to myself, I wouldn't then go on to stuff the money in my wallet.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

So 11 people - who are more likely to have holidays villas in France than the general population - are allowed to undermine to desire of millions with a single, arbitrary decision? This is why the judiciary must stay out of politics.

They do stay out of politics.  They deal in law.  Boris needs to learn to stop "breaking" it if he wants to get Farage's way.

EDIT: To cheer up our new member Hansum farang.  Acting unlawfully vs breaking the law is one I will leave for our resident and any new pedants to debate.

Edited by Slip
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Johnson said the progurement of Parliament was to prepare for the Queen's speech. The judges said that normally take 4 days not 5 weeks.

The judges said the period running up to October 31st was a critical time for the nation, and Parliament, wherein the sovereign power of the nation resides, deserves and indeed needs, to be heard.

No they didn't. The judgement: "a typical time is four to six days".

The question then is how many days were actually lost due to the recess. Five, by my count.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slip said:

They do stay out of politics.  They deal in law.  Boris needs to learn to stop breaking it if he wants to get Farage's way.

The judiciary interprets the laws that parliament makes. One court will have a different interpretation than another. There's no black or white. Decisions often go to different courts and get overturned repeatedly. As politics is a nebulous grey area, the courts must not be allowed near it. This court should have declared itself unfit to make a ruling on the issue. Their decision constitutes a far more damaging precedent than the mere prorogation of parliament, which is normal business by comparison. Boris needs to challenge this. 

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So somebody is alleged to have given Gina Millar some money.

Hiw did that influence the ruling of 11 Supreme Court Judges?

But now you mention it - Gina Miller was one of the parties who brought the case to the Supreme Court. She gets several mentions in their judgement.

JUDGMENT R (on the application of Miller) (Appellant) v The Prime Minister (Respondent) Cherry and others (Respondents) v Advocate General for Scotland (Appellant) (Scotland)

Since she brought the case and her lawyers submitted evidence, yes, those donations may well have made a difference to the ruling. Here's a link to the ruling, since you don't seem to have read it.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2019-0192-judgment.pdf

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bruntoid said:

Not at all predictable response - it wasn’t hers to return - your spin based theory has been rubbished with facts just accept it 

Just because you use emotive phrases like "your spin based theory has been rubbished with facts just accept it", it doesn't mean that your statement is legitimate or even truthful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1