Renewing Ext to Stay (Retirement) - Passport Expiring While Abroad

Currently have ext to stay based on retirement, which is due for renewal in Dec. 

I am presently abroad though plan to return to Thailand in early Nov and will need to obtain new passport (USA) as current one will expire in early 2020.  The question is - if I do get the new passport while abroad, will airport immigration accept the ext to stay and reentry permit that are stamped in the then old passport?

thanks, Rs

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But your extension finish date coincides with the expiring of the date on the old passport. If done whilst in Thailand. Or is it different if the new passport is obtained abroad? 

It would not be the same date since he applied for his extension in December of last year and his passport expires next year.

He had a full year of passport validity when he applied for his extension.

• Thanks 1

After you have returned to Thailand, you can have the visa stamps transferred to the new passport at your local immigration office. You may need a letter from US embassy to transfer the stamps, which is a new requirement at Jomtein from my experience 3 months ago.

Edited by Thailand J

I just did this in June.

I renewed my Extension at the end of May. Travelled to Canada in June. Had to replace my passport (as it got damaged while travelling).

Returned to Thailand at the end of June. Presented both passports to the IO and pointed out the recent Extension stamp (and re-entry permit) in my old passport just to be safe. The IO stamped me in to the end of my Extension date.

Next day I went to Immigration (Jomtien office), filled out the application to have my stamps transferred, dropped everything off and went back the next day to get my passports complete with new stamps (and if I recall correctly - there was no charge for the service).

Keep in mind that when you return, the IO will only stamp you in until the end date of your Extension, whether that be in a month or 2 weeks or whatever. If you arrive on Dec 13 and your Extension expires on the 14th, he isn't going to stamp you in for a year. He may only give you one day !

Make sure you check as soon as he (or she) hands your passport back to you.

Thanks TJ and Kd for the further clarifications.  As I plan to go to CW almost immediately after returning to Thailand to apply for the next 12 month retirement extension, would I necessarily first need to transfer the old extension into the new passport, or can I simply apply for the new extension with both old and new passports in hand?

Rs  

2 minutes ago, RickSee said:

Thanks TJ and Kd for the further clarifications.  As I plan to go to CW almost immediately after returning to Thailand to apply for the next 12 month retirement extension, would I necessarily first need to transfer the old extension into the new passport, or can I simply apply for the new extension with both old and new passports in hand?

Rs  

Your stamps would have to be transferred before the extension can be done.

If I recall correctly CW has different desks for the stamp transfer and the extension application.

Doesn't the US passport office keep the old passport?

I'm Australian and I've heard that, in all circumstances, you have to surrender your old passport before you can get your new one. It doesn't matter whether you apply for a new passport in Australia or at the embassy in Thailand. Is this the same for US citizens?

It creates a problem because coming back to Thailand on a new passport means you have to start the whole marriage/retirement extension process from scratch (unless you have the time to go to the Thai Embassy in Canberra to transfer the stamps - the consulate offices won't do it). Ditto with a new passport issued by the Australian embassy in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

No they don't.

15 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm Australian and I've heard that, in all circumstances, you have to surrender your old passport before you can get your new one. It doesn't matter whether you apply for a new passport in Australia or at the embassy in Thailand. Is this the same for US citizens?

Australia will return the old passport but you have to tick a box on the application form to get it sent back to you.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, Stevemercer said:

It creates a problem because coming back to Thailand on a new passport means you have to start the whole marriage/retirement extension process from scratch (unless you have the time to go to the Thai Embassy in Canberra to transfer the stamps - the consulate offices won't do it). Ditto with a new passport issued by the Australian embassy in Thailand.

It must be something new as I have every old passport issued.