Best Land Boarder Crossings?

Hi In a few weeks I am planning on entering Thailand.  As I have a long history of extended tourist stays. (1 METV 1 SETV and 2 land crossings this year and many extensions) I am concerned about being rejected at the airport.  I am familiar with crossing the Laos land boarder but flights to Vientiane are a little longer with connections.  I am wondering if trying to to cross by land from Malaysia might be easier.   Since I have never crossed into Thailand from Malaysia By land I would like to ask what is the name of the best or recommend crossing?  Is there a nearby airport to fly into Malaysia to access the crossing?

How would you recommend land crossing at Malaysia vs Laos? 

thanks you 

24 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

METV 1 SETV and 2 land crossings this year and many extensions

Oh dear! This year? That might even be hard by land crossing. What are you going to enter with this time? Another tourist visa or just an exempt entry?

However, There are probably hard to find better and more easy crossings than Savannakhet/Mukdahan and Vientiane/Nong Kai. My personal view on this would be to not recommend other crossings. Anyway, they have good and friendly crossing in Malaysia too. Two options would be Wang Kelian, Bukit Kayu Hitam and Padang Besar. Your best choice here will probably be Padang Besar and then the airport would be Sultan Abdul Halim Airport. If you choose Wang Kelian it will be the same airport or Langkawi International.

55 minutes ago, Fancyfarang said:

How would you recommend land crossing at Malaysia vs Laos? 

I would choose Laos over Malaysia every time. As it stands you’re highly unlikely to get denied entry from Laos, but the Malaysian crossings can be unpredictably problematic.

Your post suggests you’ve already had 2 visa exempt entries by land this year, which means you must enter by land with a visa for the rest of this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I would choose Laos over Malaysia every time. As it stands you’re highly unlikely to get denied entry from Laos, but the Malaysian crossings can be unpredictably problematic.

Your post suggests you’ve already had 2 visa exempt entries by land this year, which means you must enter by land with a visa for the rest of this year.

Yes I have been traveling for about a month and now going back to my home country (USA) to apply for another METV.  So I would be entering with a new visa.  

Laos and Ban Laem (Cambodia) are easy land borders. Myanmar also but I'm not sure you can cross by land unless you came from Thailand and are using a day pass. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I would expect you will have problems entering Thailand from any land or airport entry.

Have you considered applying for the appropriate longer term visa that is applicable to your circumstances. 

The issue is only at airport, Poipet and random Malaysian border. 

• Sad 1

I disagree with those who believe you will have a problem at most land crossings, especially if you have a visa. From Malaysia, the best land crossings are subject to change over time. Currently, Sadao seems decent. If you fly to Kuala Lumpur, and take the bus from there to Hat Yai, that is the crossing that will be used. Flying to Kota Bharu, and crossing at Sungai Golok is another option.

The crossings from Laos are even better, but (as you have discovered) cheap and convenient flights to Vientiane really do not exist.

Do not expect flying into any nearby country, and entering by land to be painless and cheap. It is going to involve extra cost and hassle. However, at the current time it is certainly a much safer option for someone like yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

Laos and Ban Laem (Cambodia) are easy land borders. Myanmar also but I'm not sure you can cross by land unless you came from Thailand and are using a day pass. 

4 legal land crossing with Burma, (BUT only 3 you can enter with the Burmese online visa)  all of them you can exit to thailand regardless how you go to Burma

Phunaron/Htee Kee  Dawei- Kanchanaburi  Evisa not allowed

but Burmese visa is $50

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fancyfarang said:

wait a second ! 

Is it a limit of 2 land border crossings per year altogether or just visa exempt ?

For example, if I've already used up my 2 visa exempts but manage to obtain a 60-day tourist visa, can I do a land border crossing and expect to succeed ?

5 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

wait a second ! 

Is it a limit of 2 land border crossings per year altogether or just visa exempt ?

For example, if I've already used up my 2 visa exempts but manage to obtain a 60-day tourist visa, can I do a land border crossing and expect to succeed ?

Only visa exempt and the limit is only for the current calendar year. So you can do 4 in a row. 

Edited by Tayaout

Air Asia flies again to Vientiane from DMK. And the flight times are optimal to catch to evening flights back from Udon. 

In general I would always prefer borders where you can pass trough with a mini-bus. Padang Besar was named here... as I did that last month..it`s a hell of a ride and not convenient (even though the IO at the border was very chilled and friendly)

Edited by SpanishExpat

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

I disagree with those who believe you will have a problem at most land crossings, especially if you have a visa. From Malaysia, the best land crossings are subject to change over time. Currently, Sadao seems decent. If you fly to Kuala Lumpur, and take the bus from there to Hat Yai, that is the crossing that will be used. Flying to Kota Bharu, and crossing at Sungai Golok is another option.

Agreed, Sadao is towing the line recently, they are far too busy processing the buses of Malaysians to worry about a single westerner, but I’m sure they will be sticking to 2x land entries per calendar year.

Wang Kilian In Saturn, is always stress-free, the IOs are fine and chatty in a weekday, but I’m unusure how you would get there under your own steam.

Someone mentioned Padang Besar, avoid like the plague.

Sungai Kolok can be a little hostile, I have been questioned but I have never been refused. Convenient to get to bus station, but a long way, 4 hours. 

• Like 1

Seems there are some giving advice that are in a similar situation.

This is exactly why immigration want to weed out the multiple tourist visa entries who aren't really tourist.

Get the correct Visa applicable to your situation and circumstance.

Edited by steven100

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

Seems there are some giving advice that are in a similar situation.

This is exactly why immigration want to weed out the multiple tourist visa entries who aren't really tourist.

Get the correct Visa applicable to your situation and circumstance.

Having the correct visa doesn't guarantee you entry. Better put all the chance on your side. 

13 hours ago, Vyhod said:

Why? Bad experience?

Yes, personal experience, reports here on TV and local info.

I had ME-O without even checking my passport the IO directed me to a small office, where I was grilled by some supervisor for 30 mins. 

Seems that even even though hundreds of Malays come through every day, the moment a white face appears they are always directed to the side office and interrogated for fun.

Mid-morning, mid-week, same question over and over and the constant flicking through my passport. “What am I doing here, why not a extension of stay, do you work? What am I doing here?” Boring 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yes, personal experience, reports here on TV and local info.

I had ME-O without even checking my passport the IO directed me to a small office, where I was grilled by some supervisor for 30 mins. 

Seems that even even though hundreds of Malays come through every day, the moment a white face appears they are always directed to the side office and interrogated for fun.

Mid-morning, mid-week, same question over and over and the constant flicking through my passport. “What am I doing here, why not a extension of stay, do you work? What am I doing here?” Boring 

Do you think they might have been fishing for a bribe?

On 10/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, recom273 said:

Sungai Kolok can be a little hostile, I have been questioned but I have never been refused.

Me too, but why I have no idea. Given the few white faces using that crossing, the farang criminal could hardly hope to blend in with the crowd.

Do you think they might have been fishing for a bribe?

Nah, there have been many reports. It’s just policy, she was taking great delight in wasting my time.

After about 15 mins, I just repeated, “am I breaking any rules?” She said “no, but I should be on an extension” - “but I use the visa to visit Malaysia, we live so close, why wouldn’t I get a multi entry visa” (actually it’s really for people who spend less time in Thailand, but it is what it says on the tin)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

After about 15 mins, I just repeated, “am I breaking any rules?” She said “no, but I should be on an extension” - “but I use the visa to visit Malaysia, we live so close, why wouldn’t I get a multi entry visa” (actually it’s really for people who spend less time in Thailand, but it is what it says on the tin)

I very much fear that Immigration at some airports and land crossings will start implementing a 180-day rule on Non O visa entries, holding that Non O visas from consulates are meant only for visits, that you are abusing the visa system, and you need an extension approved by Immigration to stay longer.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I very much fear that Immigration at some airports and land crossings will start implementing a 180-day rule on Non O visa entries, holding that Non O visas from consulates are meant only for visits, that you are abusing the visa system, and you need an extension approved by Immigration to stay longer.

Unless nests are feathered.

And then there is the gradual phasing out of multiple entry Non 'O's as seen with their spiffy new Evisa system. The writing is on the wall for many of us.

Yes, I see it as a loophole. It was a convenience to me, I rode my bike up to Laos, took a holiday, visited friends en-route, picked up my visa at what used to be the most stress-free consulates - it was a nice 2-3 week break.

Like i say, I’m 40 minutes from the border, so why wouldn’t I use the visa to visit Malaysia for the weekend.Some food goods are cheaper, great indian and Malay food, different riding experience. I would leave on average every 60 days.

Like, I said, there are currently no stipulations on the visa, it is a ME visa, and that’s what i did, the IO was more concerned with trying to bust my balls - reports are that she wastes everyone’s time, including bonafide backpackers coming from Malaysia.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

That's bound to happen. Eventually, they will run out of people on tourist visa to hassle.

• Like 1