Oman Air ??

cornishcarlos

Hi,

I've just booked me and the wife business class tickets with Oman Air, for our Xmas trip to London.

Couldn't resist at under 70k baht each.. There are mixed reviews on Oman Air, from glowing reports of their business class seats and service, to outright rage over customer service and cancelled flights!!

Has anyone here flown with them and have any comments ? Good or bad... 

Their customer service is simply the worst of any airline that I have ever flown. Bar none period

They have the most ludicrous online check in process whereby when the 48 hours open pre flight you can select seat FOC in economy on 1st sector but not the 2nd because the 2nd sector is not yet within the 48 hour period lol

I assure you am not joking. Its been going on for a year. In March I politely created merry hell when I got home. Complete waste of time. Customer service is just as bad for Sindbad their FF card

Others have suggested check in on 1st flight on laptop but leave tab open until the 48 hours are reached for 2nd sector

Back in March 3 phone calls to Oman from Bangkok to try and sort sector seat...... "cant"

Friend is on them literally tonight Heathrow Bangkok. I really thought after March it would have been sorted...."nope" lol

In Biz am guessing you can select seat when booking though.

No personal experience of cancelled flights and must have had around 16-18 or so return trip tickets albeit my next may be my last. New Muscat Terminal (March 2018) is quite nice and decent biz lounge

Edited by Chivas

16 minutes ago, petermik said:

"has anyone flown with them and any comments".....pity you did not ask this before you booked :whistling:

google search Oman Air reviews would have been sensible beforehand.

If you read my OP again, you will see that I have indeed read all the reviews I could find, before booking. They are mixed.. 

I'm just taking a gamble as the price for Biz class was very reasonable..

Thanks for your input though ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If you read my OP again, you will see that I have indeed read all the reviews I could find, before booking. They are mixed.. 

I'm just taking a gamble as the price for Biz class was very reasonable..

Thanks for your input though ????

Biz is fine rest assured. When they were running their A330s on the Bangkok London sectors they won best business class in the world from Skytrax 3 years out of 4 in the middle of current decade.

Obviously now they've switched to Dreamliners but still very good

• Thanks 1

I flew Oman already a few times (Eco and Business).

What is a problem with them is, they have delays often. But I still can't complain. 

About their Airplanes. They mostly have newer Airplanes with very nice confortable Business class. But unfortunately also a few older ones, were they business class is like Eco only bigger seats. Where in the newer planes you have almost like a small place for yourself, which is indeed very nice. The prices from Oman are mostly very good.

I had about 20 flights with them. about 4-5 flights had a delay of 20-60 minutes. One flight at Muskat was canceled (they said problem with airplane). After about 2 hours wait they put us in an nice hotel with dinner and breakfast included. So yes if you are in a hurry this is a bad experience. But I guess this can happen. Even it's for some not nice.

For myself I was not that angry. So I had some time to explore Muskat. Nice beaches but not much else to see at that place where the hotel was. But still OK for me. But it was on use to ask and ask again what will happen. So yes their customer service at the airport is not perfect.

On the other hand, customer service at the phone I used 2 times till now and was satisfied. They were helpful for my problems at that time. So not complains.

I would choose Oman-Air again. As I like the "only" 6 hours flight with a short stop about 90 minutes for myself for relax in between and then 6 hours again. And the prices are mostly very good compared to other airlines. (Bangkok-Muskat-Switzerland)

• Like 2

I flew business class one time with Oman about 5 years ago. The lounge at Heathrow was small and situated in the middle of a normal lounge so you had to be led to it.....it felt a bit strange and lonely.

I had a bad experience on the plane as the cabin temperature was uncomfortably high.  Even the steward apologised to me for the defective aircon but when I wrote a letter of complaint Oman Air replied that no problem had been reported after the flight, and summarily dismissed my complaint.

All in all I found the experience substandard to the Emirates business class flights. I really enjoy the Emirates business class experience and gladly pay for a UK flight out of my own pocket once a year (if it is less than 100K). I do not intend to fly Oman again due to their pathetic reply to my genuine complaint.

• Like 1

I work in Oman and fly between Muscat and Manila monthly, but try to avoid flying Oman Air where I can. Business Class is of an acceptable standard, but not nearly as comfortable as Qatar - probably more like Etihad, or a well worn Emirates plane in terms of comfort and service.

In all fairness, however, it is possible that I am spoiled by Qatar because my biggest outrage the last time I flew with Oman Air was the limited wine choice and no Dine on Demand option; overall, they are better than Malaysian or Gulf business class. 

Muscat has a nice, new airport if you have a layover.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update...

We flew yesterday and I was very impressed. Check-in was smooth and hassle free. Through priority immigration lane and into the lounge within about 20mins from arriving at the airport. 

Lounge is small but very nice, pretty empty at 6am but can imagine it would get pretty full later on. Food and drinks were nice but not amazing.

The flight was great, on a 787-8.

Very comfortable seats, with full lie flat option. Every seat has direct isle access but the window seats have a much more private feel and slightly more leg room.

Food was good and the Bloody Mary mixed perfectly. In flight entertainment was good too with a range of newer movies to watch. 

For just under 70k baht, can't complain at all. Still have the return leg but so far couldn't be happier.

IMG_20191214_083219.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Used them in June and was happy, cannot remember what i paid but i was happy with the service and everything, while home in June checked prices for This Xmas just gone, just under 60,000 Baht each Bus Class, so booked there and then, Bangkok to Manchester Dec 19 and returned NYE 31st, all flights were fine, just 1 30 minute delay which is understandable from Muscat the Hub
All in all impressed and would fly again
Always look Oman/Qatar/Etihad/Emirates Bus Class prices and choose mostly price alone

• Like 2

Price alone in Economy has long been the cheapest on average throughout the year of ME carriers London Bangkok but boy I miss their A330s on the routing compared to the 3" seat pitch drop on their Dreamliners on both sectors

On 12/31/2019 at 1:55 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Well just arrived back in Thailand yesterday and I'm very impressed with Oman air... I will be checking their business class deals again next time I fly..

Nothing to complain about at all ????

IMG_20191229_075720.jpg

Look like a lovely couple - good health and good luck for the new year.

• Thanks 1