Thailand falls to 74th place in EF English Proficiency Index 2019

webfact

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

20 years ago it seemed cute and novel , somehow these days (with so many options for learning language), its just sad .

It's also sad when you hear an Englishman say "I was sat ere' and e' was sat over there". That's not the English I learned!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Youlike said:

Just have a look at the young staff in ALL thai shops....there's nobody at all who speaks english....even not in the most hi-so malls.

I find it hard to believe you live in BKK. I find English good at even my local 7/11’s. 

• Confused 2

22 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Look and listen to all these Generals and State employees who hold high positions, most of them pointing out that they have high education from the US and England but cannot speak a word English.

I used to work with a Thai lady that came to the US when she was in her 20's. She's now in her early 60's and it's so hard to understand her STILL after her being here nearly 40 years. She says her workmates hate her and avoid her as they can't understand her (and yes she works in a pseudo I.T. position).

We all need to lighten up about others and how well they can speak a 2nd language.

• Confused 1

They would do well copying Vietnam and gradually begin implementing a full Thai language using a Latin alphabet to school kids.

I recall years ago when Thai language was not supported on mobile phones, the local kids got on just fine by texting Thai sentences using Roman (a..z) letters, no tone marks of course, but they all understood each other.

Even nowadays, my students in Burma (Myanmar) usually text each other or comment on FB using Roman letters to write their Myanmar sentences, even though their phones/keyboards support writing in Myanmar script. 

When I asked them why, they said it was too much hassle to compose the words in Myanmar AND with the various tone marks or combination letters - they could write much faster using Roman letters, and again no issues about the lack of tone marks.

• Like 1